Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I super frustrated with my PPQ M1 .40. With a full mag it wont even chamber the first round. I have had the gun for several years and it has had the problem since day one. I put it in the safe and have finally gotten around to dealing with it. I called customer care and they told me I needed to fire 4 rounds and send them in with the gun. I explained it wont chamber the first round but the service person wasn't hearing it. (with attitude)

I have many Walther products and love them. PPQ(9mm),PPQ(.22),Q5(9mm),PPS(9mm) and the dreaded PPQ(.40)

I have read where this is a known problem with some of the .40 PPq's and am wondering if any of you have had resolution with Walther. To say I am impressed with there customer service would be a lie..

P.s. If anyone wants a banging deal on this gun LMK.

·
Premium Member
13,869 Posts
Have you tried to drop a round into the chamber? If so, did it just drop in? Have you tried different ammo...overall length could be a problem. How are you trying to load the first round...sling shot or thumbing the slide stop?

If you lived in the US, I'd be up for a banging deal on this gun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes

I have tried your recommendations. A round drops in as it should. Happens with multiple ammo. Slingshot and slide stop methods.

I do live in US mate!!!

·
Premium Member
13,869 Posts
I forgot to ask. I'm assuming your older M1 uses the 12 round magazines. AND, you said "With a full mag it wont even chamber the first round." Have you tried stuffing 'one' round only into the mag, insert mag and see if the one lonely round will chamber? How bout downloading the mag by one....meaning only stuffing 11 rounds in the mag instead of 12?

When Walther came out with the PPQ M2, they also modified the mags and reduced the capacity (40 caliber) to 11.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm curious to see what the problem is. I've had similar issues with mine but strengthening my grip mostly resolved it. Walther sent me a RSA and striker spring assembly free of charge. I did notice the old springs were all noticeabley shorter. Have you had several people test fire the gun? With a full magazine and the slide open I can replicate your issue by having my wife try to use it. If I use my firmer grip the gun loads the round under the same conditions. And I'm also interested in what you want for it (have twin boys and only one PPQ .40)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, when you down load the mag it works..... Im sure it can be fixed, maybe easily. I just lost faith in it and am holding a grudge. lol. Also, i'm going all 9mm hens forth Rather get rid of it for a loss and move on. Would never sell it without full disclosure. $250 like new otherwise.

·
Premium Member
13,869 Posts
Finn.....the fix is easy, just load up 11 rounds. THAT was Walther's fix (OK, part of the fix) with the PPQ M2. Walther made a few changes to the M2 (40) mags, including, recontouring/reshaping the magazine lips, reworking the follower, adding legs to ensure the follower didn't wobble and a stronger magazine spring. The longer legs on the follower is what limits the capacity to 11. These mags work.....but are only available for the M2..NOT the M1.

The price you're asking is an excellent buy. I've got enough 40's, so I'll pass. If SKphoto doesn't pounce on this, I'd suggest listing the pistol in the Trading Post section. https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/trading-post-parts-bin/

·
Registered
574 Posts
Once upon a time I had an M1 in .40. While my issues were failure to feed related after the first round (rounds would nose-dive into the feed ramp). My story is pretty well documented within these pages. OF had sent me an M2 magazine that he had modified to work in the M1 and I had ZERO issues with feeding with the M2 mag...only problems with the M1.

But, what's been said here, is pretty much spot on. There was seemingly an un-admitted design flaw in the M1 magazines which was resolved in the magazine rebuild in the M2. How can I say flaw...? Well, the M1 was/is still available in 9mm, but the .40 was never 're-released' or continued in the M1 variation. It has always been something I scratched my head about, but I also know I wasn't the only one who had M1 .40 issues (of course, many people have never had issues, too).

I had sent my Q to Ft. Smith three or four times, but it took me posting videos on YouTube of my issue(s) for them to calmly say, "yeah, we'd like to get that taken care of...about the videos..."

Not sure if any of that helps...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rustedbucket, I feel I have read your story. Although It seems to be common. It’s a shame as I love all my other Walther’s but their customer service is lacking to say the least. I must now decide to fight the good fight or take the hit only to buy another damn Walther!!! Dare I say a second PPS M2 for the wife???
Thank you for the info.
Just curious, what was the resolution?? If your at liberty to divulge??

·
Registered
574 Posts
My story is well-documented here:

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/37343-40-s-w-ppq-m1-feed-problem.html

Advanced search in that thread for posts I wrote will show it. In the end, my Q was replaced with a 9mm, but it took time, money (shipping/handling), and doing everything to demonstrate the issue.

But, as previously said, OF's modified M2 mags NEVER failed. Add the release notches to the M2 mags and you're golden.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts