Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,
I’ve had my PPQ and PPQ Navy for a couple of years and I have noticed that when I racked the slide initially on a full 15 rd mag, the racking was smooth, even if more difficult than a partially full mag.

But these days, when I rack the slide on a fully loaded (pinched) 10 rd mag, it tends to catch a bit, or hiccup if you will from extra friction when racking...I’ve noticed this phenomenon on 4 different ppq’s: two ppq m1’s and an M2 and M2 Navy with varying degrees of resistance, but they had racked smoothly with fully loaded 15 rd magazine...

Is there just less leeway with the pinched mags and more “give” with the 15 rounders?

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Is there just less leeway with the pinched mags and more “give” with the 15 rounders?
Yes.

It makes sense that the P99 was originally designed as a 16rd pistol. The P99's grip length is right in between that of a Glock 19 (15rd mag) and a Glock 17 (17 round mag). Not too long after the P99 was released, the mag capacity was dropped by one, making it a 15rd pistol. The 15rd mags have room to spare.

As far as the 10rd mags are concerned, it is illegal to posses a mag that can hold more than 10 rounds in states where the legal limit is 10 rounds. Manufacturers make it as difficult as they possibly and reliably can to load that 11th round in there, so naturally there is not much room for the spring to compress when inserting a loaded 10rd mag into the pistol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes.

It makes sense that the P99 was originally designed as a 16rd pistol. The P99's grip length is right in between that of a Glock 19 (15rd mag) and a Glock 17 (17 round mag). Not too long after the P99 was released, the mag capacity was dropped by one, making it a 15rd pistol. The 15rd mags have room to spare.

As far as the 10rd mags are concerned, it is illegal to posses a mag that can hold more than 10 rounds in states where the legal limit is 10 rounds. Manufacturers make it as difficult as they possibly and reliably can to load that 11th round in there, so naturally there is not much room for the spring to compress when inserting a loaded 10rd mag into the pistol.
Oh that makes perfect sense! I didn’t realize that the p99 was made for a larger capacity. And of course these magazines are neutered to only hold 10 rounds. I had assumed it was the rendering of the impossibility to hold even one more round that is causing that severe lack of allowance of space, and thus the difficulty to slap in a full mag and additionally rack that slide.

Thank you for your insight, balance!

I had a feeling the members here would have a better idea than a random gunsmith who may not be familiar with the history or origins of the PPQ

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have this issue with Walther 10 round magazines - I have to use a tremendous amount of force to rack the slide. The easiest way for me to load a round is to lock back the slide on my PPQ M2, insert a fully loaded 10-round mag and press the slide lock.
However, I can rack the slide if the magazine has 9 rounds or less.
I load my own ammo so I thought that maybe I neede to increase my crimp. Anyone else have these issues with fully loaded 10-round mags in PPQ M2’s?

·
Premium Member
13,551 Posts
When they designed the 10 round mags, they flubbed up just a little bit. Should have allowed another 1/16" inch for the ammo stack. I can load up 15 rounds in my mag and still press the top round down another 1/16" or so. When you insert a fully loaded mag into the magwell the top round makes contact with the loading rail on the bottom of the slide and the ammo stack is actually compressed a little farther down into the mag when you ram the mag all the way home. If you don't have that extra room, you'll have a hard time inserting a fully loaded mag with the side closed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is, by no means, unique to Walther. My Sigs, Smiths and HK exhibit this same behavior regardless how they are blocked. My view it's to absolutely prevent being able to insert #11. Ten you're good. Eleven you're a felon.

Some of my limited mags do get easier to load on a closed slide with use. These would be the ones with dimples in the mag body. After cramming 10 rounds with my Uplula time and time again, I think the dimples are starting to ease over. Anyway, it still takes a good whack to seat the full mag. Generally for range use, slide is always locked open for loading. AT home, it's 9+1.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts