Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to hear how many of you own the .40CAL version of the PPQ. Pros, Cons,etc. The price on them right now is VERY GOOD! I may spring for one. Lets hear it!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Prices on .40s right now are all very good. The market is very soft. My LGS won’t even take any in anymore used because we can’t get rid of the ones we have.

The money you save on the gun is then spent on ammo over the 9mm

If you want a .40 it’s a good time to buy one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This weapon holds 11+1, Correct? I have seen some ads recently that state it carries 15, but I think they are confusing it with the 9mm.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I own one PPQ in 40cal. It works. Nothing wrong with it. It shares positive attributes with it's 9mm brethren i.e. comfortable grip, excellent trigger, good accuracy, ...

If you like the 40cal go for it. But...If you are doing it because it's cheap, be sure to factor in ammo costs if you are going to shoot it a lot. If you a recoil sensitive, it will recoil more than the 9mm.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
My son owns a P99 AS in .40. For both of us it shoots very well but also very snappy. My wrists could really feel it after a box of ammo. He finally got a 9MM conversion barrel for it and loves it now. I bought a PPQ 9MM and love it and have no desire to ever own one in .40. The only pistol I own in .40 and like to shoot is my SIG P229 which weighs about half a pound more than my PPQ.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I know this is controversial but I really think the .40 is almost a pointless round now. I like to have guns in various calibers just for the fun of it, but don’t own a .40. Never have.

As an instructor, it’s also the one round that I tend to point people away from. Converting a 40 to a 9 is a great idea however....because you can shoot booth.

Why don’t I like it?

More recoil, without much of an upside at a substantial higher ammo cost. However, based on that assessment alone, any round other than a 9 actually stinks 🙂 and I own plenty of other stuff.

If you want one...go for it. It’s a great time to buy one. Prices are really suppressed. In fact, on a CZ TSO the 9s are now going $700 to $800 more than a 40 and the list price is the same. But that example is not the norm either.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can only pretty much echo what has been said here already but I’ll add my 2 cents as well. Currently my ppq m2 40 is on the nightstand with the 13 round magazine and carried with the 11 round mag. The 40 caliber ppq is noticeably more snappy than similar guns in the same size category. For instance my ppq feels noticeably more snappy than my Glock 23 and it’s not even close. I’ve shot a m&p 40 compact M2.0 as well and it’s a noticeably softer shooter than my ppq as well.
The thing is though I shoot the ppq 40 so well that I’m willing to deal with it’s “short comings”. I’ve come to realize the small difference in split times is only really a big deal in competition shooting where a small time difference will dictate your place. I shoot the ppq in 40 better than any other 40 I’ve ever shot and I’ve shot pretty much all of them. I like 40s&w and I’m not recoil shy so I say go for it and buy the ppq in 40 and enjoy. If possible I’d say get the 5” version as it’s said to shoot much softer than the 4”. What I lose in slightly longer times I gain in way better accuracy with my ppq. But hey, I’m not giving up my Glock 23 no time soon either as it’s been a trusty staple in my carry for like 15 years.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Buy it! Solid pistol! It was my first Walther that I couldn’t resist at a super affordable price. I find it only slightly snappier than my VP9sk. There are plenty of deals on .40 ammo on line and at gun shows. Go for it!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I’m a proponent of buying the pistol in the original caliber it was designed for as that’s the optimal configuration. European service-type pistols (Glock 17/19, Walther P99/PPQ, H&K VP9, Cz, Sig Sauer P226) were originally designed for the 9mm cartridge. The action timing, recoil characteristics, magazine capacity, etc are optimized for 9mm. Glock has had well-documented growing pains with their .40 cal models. Contrast that with Smith&Wesson M&P, which was designed for .40. The slide and frame are wider/heavier which makes for a soft-shooting 9mm, but they had accuracy issues with early 9mm versions due to barrel unlocking early.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I shoot my 40 better than my nine for some reason

Reactions: Left Bank

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes, only reason why i picked up the PPQ in 40 was the the price. I got the 5" model. Shoots amazing. at 75 yards the groups are half the size of the G22 i have been carrying for a few years.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I live my ppq. 40! It's my nightstand pistol but it's also always one of the first ones I pull out on a range day.

Unfortunately my frame doesn't let me carry the Q IWB hence why it's a nightstand gun, but between my gen1 pps in 9mm, p99c in 9mm and the ppq. 40... I think I enjoy the Q the most. But my Sig p226 in .40 is also a delight as well!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I transitioned from the .357 Mag to .40 because it packed a wallop comparable to the .357-the ideal then was the "one-shot stop" standard in the early '90's. It's snappy but it's all about what you're used to and how much you shoot. I reload so ammo costs a lot less so I shoot a lot more. The PPQ .40 is accurate as all get-out. Now the .357 feels "snappy" and the .40 feels normal to me. I also shoot a lot of 9mm now and it feels like the .38 Special felt to me when I shot full power .357. I'm an Instructor too and with today's 9mm ammo improvements I suggest newbies start with the 9mm. But, for me the .40 is my SHTF auto. A 180 gr XTP moving at 1015 fps is a lot of foot-pounds of energy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have thought about picking one up as well due to the unpopularity right now of the .40. Problem is that I own 6 .40s right now and need to stop listening to the song of the sirens of great deals. 165 gr running at the speed of a 115 gr. in 9mm. Yeah sign me up.

Post script: Don't have a 5 incher in .40 and I see a good deal on a 5 inch PPQ M2 in .40. "Hmm, what's that sound coming from that rocky coastline?? " Keep rowing boys and pay no attention to that sweet sound. "

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've got the PPQ in .40S&W No issues for me, although it may be more prone to "limp wristing" that most pistols. I was helping two new shooters decide what to buy by letting them try a variety of my 9mm pistols that they might be interested it -- Glock, SIG P226, S&W M&P, Taurus 24/7, Kahr CW9 and since I'd just got it, I brought along the PPQ. They had no issues with the others but each had several stovepipes with the PPQ whereas I didn't.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've got the PPQ in .40S&W No issues for me, although it may be more prone to "limp wristing" that most pistols. I was helping two new shooters decide what to buy by letting them try a variety of my 9mm pistols that they might be interested it -- Glock, SIG P226, S&W M&P, Taurus 24/7, Kahr CW9 and since I'd just got it, I brought along the PPQ. They had no issues with the others but each had several stovepipes with the PPQ whereas I didn't.
Interesting you say that cause my brother had issues shooting my Q .40 from limp wristing. Once he sured up his grip it shot great for him.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
I carried my PPQ M1 .40 daily for 8 years, put well over 4,000 round through it, and absolutely love it! Fantastic round and all around fantastic round. It is noticaebly hotter than my new PPQ M1 9mm, but that was never an issue. I prefer it over the 9 and highly recommend picking one up. The decision to go to the 9 was solely due to the rising cost of .40 ammo. With an average difference of $6 to $8 per box, it stacks up quick, especially if you're going to train as much as we should.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Ballistically nothing is wrong with the .40....it’s pretty much a dead round in the market now. It’s a bit like the Beta vs VHS debate in the 80s. Beta was better but no one wanted it.

Guns in 40 are cheaper now but the use cost is higher.

10mm is hot now. Ironic.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you're still on the fence I can recommend it. I purchased a PPQ .40 M1 about 3 months after they hit the USA. Around 4K rounds I had issues with failure to go into battery. It definitely snaps more than my 9mm variants. I contacted Walther USA and they sent me a new RSA and springs for the firing pin assembly. Looking at the old and new springs I could tell that the old springs were more compressed in a relaxed state. With the new springs in place, and some exercises to strengthen wrists and forearms, my gun is reliable again. I debated putting failure videos all over social media to get Walther to take the gun back and send me a 9mm but my .40 is my most accurate Walther by a long shot (I have 4 in 9mm) so I'm willing to deal with future potential spring replacements. FYI, I'm around 7K now and still silly accurate with that thing. My nightstand gun is now a 5" PPQ M1 in 9mm that my wife can comfortably shoot. Whenever I go hiking, I grab the .40

1 - 20 of 21 Posts