Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience wrapping their PPQ grip with a rubber-like compound that's thicker than the .5mm material offered by Talon Grips? If so, have you found a grip template to work with or a way to simply wrap the grip with material that already comes with an adhesive layer? Seems that, once again, Walther takes a back seat to most handgun brands when it comes to aftermarket enhancements.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much Ag. I just wrote to Traction Grips with an explanation of what I'm looking for, so let's see how they respond. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’m thinking of getting a set of Talon Grips for my Q5.

The only thing I know sure is that Hickock45 swears by them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had Talon grips on my M2 (same as the Q5) but recently replaced them with the Hogue. It's just what I was looking for...a grip that provides a little give (compression) and mold to my hands while not not affecting the grip insert size. I'm hoping this slight squeeze on the grip will further reduce the muzzle flip. I have yet to try it out at the range but it sure is comfortable. After much research, most other grip brands were .5mm in thickness and couldn't provide the squeeze factor I was looking for.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had mine sent off and stippled earlier this year. I took a class with it a couple weeks ago, and man it made a heck of a difference. I tried some Talon grips a while back, but wasn't satisfied with them. No matter what I did, the adhesive just didn't last as long as I liked.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hcrum87hc: Was the original PPQ (poly) grip stippled by Suregrip (didn't know it could be) or did Suregrip stipple an add-on (rubber, etc) grip?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks hc. Glad it made a big difference for you. I wasn't up-to-date on stippling of the factory poly grip. I'm hopeful that the rubber Hogue grips will do that for me. I sure can use the help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If rules allowed, I'd be all over my Q4 in a heartbeat, soldering iron at the ready. IPSC Production rules works in very mysterious ways.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hcrum: Sure looks aggressive. I must have pansy hands to like rubber (just kidding!!). Best of luck and good shooting.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Which hogue grip did you get? On their website I see grips for the PPK, PPK/S and the P5. I don’t see a PPQ grip. Is it the P5?

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
Yeah, the stock grips are a little slippery for me. I’ve noticed they tend to get a little sloppy after a long day of training. Here’s my grip after the stippling. Highly recommended.
View attachment 93196
That looks great. Grippy and practical.

I agree on the stock grip not being ideal. A little "grippier" grip would be beneficial, especially when hands are sweaty or wet from the elements.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
akc47: The Hogue grip that fits the PPQ and Q5 is the 17210 large Handall tactical sleeve. Yes, it does take strong hands to get it on the gun but there's no trimming required and it should never shift or slide under use. Also, it feels grippy and very comfortable. I have the small Walther grip inserts on my handguns and, while the Hogue grip does allow the small amount of grip cushion that I was looking for, it does not appreciatively increase the size of the grip.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
akc47: Following up on my memo too you 3 days ago, I read that someone had success fitting a Hogue 17600 on his/her PPQ. So I compared the 17600 grip I had on my Taurus TX22 with the Hogue 17210 on my PPQ and the 17600 was significantly larger and lookled as though it wouldn't fit tight enough to stay put. But, I have the small backstraps on the PPQ which most likely accounts for the size difference. Perhaps if the backstraps used are medium or large the 17600 would stretch sufficiently on the grip to assure it won't slip and slide under use. I, myself, like the idea of the beavertail on the 17600 but the small backstrap seems to fit my hands. Just thought you'd want to know. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts