Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on a good (larger) PPQ replacement front sight only, that will shoot to point of aim if used with factory rear sight. Thanks

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Also, you could rummage around the box your PPQ came in and look for the little plastic baggie with front sights of different heights it came with.
And if it didn't, give Walther a call and ask for them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I prefer sight picture #2.

Also, I will look in my box for the other front sights mentioned. I don't recall them, but its been 7-8 years so I'll check.

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Odd, I have 3 PPQs from 2014. I've looked at quite a few unboxing vids. Never saw a baggie with front sights.

Combat hold, 124g NATO FMJs shoots pretty much POA (well, as best as I can hold).

·
Premium Member
13,880 Posts
That's what I needed to know. Since you prefer sight picture #2, I'd assume you're using sight picture #2, and if that's the case your point of impact is going to be low, as the PPQ uses sight picture #3.

I don't think you'll be able to find a front sight, short enough to allow you to use sight picture #2. The easiest solution is to use sight picture #3.

Or, if you really want to stay with sight picture #2, you could consider switching to Speedsights....you'd need to install the set (front and rear). Speedsights uses diamonds as opposed to dots on the sights, you line up the diamonds and the POI is the top tip of the front sight diamond.

Here's some reading/links for ya.

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/115922-speed-sights-real-gimmick.html

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum...ppq-has-impressed-me-speed-fine-accuracy.html

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/111312-speed-sights-review-ppq-m2-9mm.html

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum...t-loaner-trial-exclusively-forum-members.html

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
That's what I needed to know. Since you prefer sight picture #2, I'd assume you're using sight picture #2, and if that's the case your point of impact is going to be low, as the PPQ uses sight picture #3.

I don't think you'll be able to find a front sight, short enough to allow you to use sight picture #2. The easiest solution is to use sight picture #3.

Or, if you really want to stay with sight picture #2, you could consider switching to Speedsights....you'd need to install the set (front and rear). Speedsights uses diamonds as opposed to dots on the sights, you line up the diamonds and the POI is the top tip of the front sight diamond.

Here's some reading/links for ya.

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/115922-speed-sights-real-gimmick.html

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum...ppq-has-impressed-me-speed-fine-accuracy.html

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/111312-speed-sights-review-ppq-m2-9mm.html

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum...t-loaner-trial-exclusively-forum-members.html

I know imaoldfart is a fan of those glowee diamond shaped sights but I have to mention Dawson Precision.

They should be set up for sight picture #2 from the git go but, if the sight picture is not to your satisfaction, Dawson has their "perfect impact" guarantee and will get you dialed in.

I'm just kidding about imaoldfart's preference in sights. In many ways, the right choice in sights can be very personal.

The thing about the Dawsons is you can have it your way. You can go width a wider rear notch or a narrower notch. You can dial them in in a way that works for you.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I didn’t care for the plastic OEM sights so I ordered the Trijcon Fiber sight set, which preserved the factory windage adjustment and proved spot-on for elevation. This is essentially the ‘flash sight picture’ with your nose just clear of slide travel. Vertical alignment isn’t perfect here. I couldn’t capture the image at arm’s length, but the front sight fills the notch with just enough space for precise windage alignment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Odd, I have 3 PPQs from 2014. I've looked at quite a few unboxing vids. Never saw a baggie with front sights.

Combat hold, 124g NATO FMJs shoots pretty much POA (well, as best as I can hold).
I didn't get a baggie full of replacement front sights. I don't think this is common.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I didn’t care for the plastic OEM sights so I ordered the Trijcon Fiber sight set, which preserved the factory windage adjustment and proved spot-on for elevation. This is essentially the ‘flash sight picture’ with your nose just clear of slide travel. Vertical alignment isn’t perfect here. I couldn’t capture the image at arm’s length, but the front sight fills the notch with just enough space for precise windage alignment.

Does Trijcon have a fiber front with rear sight dot combo? I don't like the blackout type rear sights.

And with the Trijcon, is Sight pic #2 still the right one to use for POI to be POA?

I too prefer sight pic #2.

That must explain why I'm always shooting low at target practice.

·
Registered
20 Posts

I didn't get a baggie full of replacement front sights. I don't think this is common.

Anyone else?
Nope. No Baggie of front sights with mine either. I've owned the m1 and m2.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
You probably just get a different height Walther sight from Walther or Earl's. Make it a steel front sight of the height you prefer and it's a winning move.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does Trijcon have a fiber front with rear sight dot combo? I don't like the blackout type rear sights.

And with the Trijcon, is Sight pic #2 still the right one to use for POI to be POA?

I too prefer sight pic #2.

That must explain why I'm always shooting low at target practice.
Mine prints about 3 inches high at 25 yards so a six o'clock hold is perfect there.

At 50 yards the POI exactly intersects the center top edge of the front sight. You will hammer a 6" plate every time, at that distance if you do everything correctly.

I have a 24" square plate at 100 yards hanging from one corner, essentially a diamond. If you center your sight picture and leave the top third showing, you will hit it every shot- again, if you don't flub it up.

This is all with 230 grain bullets traveling 840-900 fps. When I settle on a bullet weight, I don't change it.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
One of these days this thread will pop NOT right after I have settled my butt down and I'll dig'em up.

Aaaand here it is:

Little plastic baggie with front sights of different heights, and the tool to loosen and tighten the screw that holds them in.

Now in all fairness I don't remember which of my PPQs/P99s this came with. I'm fairly certain it was included in all of them. I know I gave a away a set to a member here. I've got a 99, a 99c and a Mister Nine, a M1 PPQ 9mm, and a M2 PPQ 22. That last one has different sights so it wasn't that one.

At any rate, Walther does have front sights of different heights available so if these dinky plastic sights float your boat, it's gotta be worth calling them up and ordering a set.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
I wish TruGlo would offer just a front sight for the PPQ rather than a set.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
PPQ Front Sight

Thanks to everyone for the information. What I need in a front sight for PPQ, Is
something that is visible in lighting, but also is visible at night. Mostly used for church security inside the building but obviously may be needed outside in the parking lot after dark.

Please keep em coming.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Probably has already been said, possibly by me, but you can't go wrong with the TruGlo TFX Pro.
Fiber optic for daylight use, and tritium for darkness, combined in one snag free low profile package.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts