Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are anyone here using their PPQ's (classic or M2) for IPSC Production Class shooting (or any other type of competitive shooting)?

I was recently told that I "bought the wrong gun for competitive shooting" by another competitor "as spares and accessories in South Africa are very limited for PPQ's". He then recommended the usual: Glock or CZ.

But I differ from him - the PPQ has one of (if not the best) triggers on any Production Class pistol, and is frequently reviewed as one of the most accurate pistols available. I bought mine for these reasons (and because it fits like a glove).

Anyway, wanted to get some feedback from others that might be using their PPQ competitively.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It's a great pistol for IPSC, USPSA, and IDPA. I use mine for USPSA production and IDPA. The only thing you might want to change are the sights. Maybe go with some fiber optic. Your biggest problem is magazines. But if you could get your hands on 4-5 extra your good to go. Took me awhile to get 5 but I found them.

I tried a glock and an M&P but with my PPQ I get much better accuracy. I love the gun. And like you said, it fits like a glove!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, to find magazines are a pain in the a$$. Do you have original Walther mags only, or do you have "suitable alternatives"?

The Walther mags are very expensive, but I am not too sure if the alternatives work properly or not.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The PPQ doesn't have any inherent reliability issues that I'm aware of, so 'spare parts' shouldn't be a real concern. Of course, everyone decides if they bring a backup gun with them for competitions.

Spare mags and decent holsters can be found. What aftermarket parts do you believe you need on the PPQ? Maybe a Talon grip tape, otherwise the one real downfall is sights, choices of which are still somewhat scarce.

I run the PPQ in outlaw 3 gun and pistol matches (not so much outlaw as a regional club), and will be doing the same for USPSA shortly. Currently running a HiViz front FO sight and OE rear, while hoping Speed Sights will come through at some point. If you prefer or are used to typical night sights or FO sights, this is a non-issue for you.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'll start by saying I've used my PPQ for USPSA/IPSC (and a couple of IDPA) since February '13, which has been over 11k rounds now. I did toy with an XDM for a match this summer, but decided to stick with the PPQ for at least a year, and hit a couple of personal goals before I make any switch. I need to make some progress, and the gun is not my limiting factor, my skill is. Sights are what they are, I ran it bone stock for 5 months before I switched to the Dawson Precision sights, and now I've put the Dawson's on everything I own, I love 'em that much.

The Trigger:

Out of the box? Sure, the PPQ is very likely the best polymer trigger that you can find. That said, even in production, there are plenty of modifications you can make to other triggers and keep them legal that in theory make them better. The Powder River kit for the XDM, the Glockworks kits for a Glock, and so on, and so on. Get away from polymer, and the CZ Shadow Target has some phenomenal mod's that keep it IPSC and USPSA Production legal.

Accuracy:

This is a pretty subjective thing. Other than some general historical issues with some product lines, a gun is generally going to be more accurate than the shooter is. It's you, not the gun. Of what I own, I'm the most accurate with the PPQ, but I've spent some time with a friends Tanfoglio Stock 2, and a CZ Shadow Target, and at speed, I'm remarkably accurate with them, more so than my PPQ. The heavier, more solid steel gun suffers less from recoil, and it's easier to shoot. (For me)

The Reality:

Shoot what you like, and what works for you. Guys like Eric Grauffel and Ben Stoeger are going to be GM's if they shoot Hi-Point. They shoot steel guns because at that level, why not stack the deck in your favor? Why work harder than they need to? No reason someone could not make A or B with a PPQ, and push that to a Master level shooter. Is it ideal? Probably not, since it's size compares to a G19 instead of a G17 or G34, but with work, you can certainly achieve. If you are out to have fun, shoot a great stock gun, not have to buy a gun, and then spend hundreds more to modify it, AND if you enjoy shooting it, by all means go PPQ.

I know the Stock 2, and the Shadow Target are considered "cheater" guns because they are ideal for the sport, but unless you have solid fundamental skills, it really does not matter. Having one of those is not going to make a GM shooter out of someone with "C" skills.

I'd have no problem recommending the PPQ to anyone considering shooting sports. It's a great choice, and as long as you hone your skills, you can do very well with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think my concerns with the "right" type of pistol are settled, I have a great gun that works for me and that I feel comfortable with. I am happy to hear that the PPQ is actually being used for competitive shooting.

Thank you to each one that replied to my original post and provided their opinions.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's a great pistol for IPSC, USPSA, and IDPA. I use mine for USPSA production and IDPA. The only thing you might want to change are the sights. Maybe go with some fiber optic. Your biggest problem is magazines. But if you could get your hands on 4-5 extra your good to go. Took me awhile to get 5 but I found them.

I tried a glock and an M&P but with my PPQ I get much better accuracy. I love the gun. And like you said, it fits like a glove!
M1 or M2 for USPSA production?

·
Registered
31 Posts
M2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Thanks. The M2, I have been told (http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=194420), is not legal for Production. It's not listed on the Production list but is on the IPSC and IDPA lists.

I'd really like to shoot mine in Production as well and have sent a question to Walther to see if it's been approved. I'll call USPSA as well.

I don't think it would be an issue at my local club match but a larger match maybe and as a beginner in the sport, I'd rather not lose time and money on a DQ for a rules violation.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I don't think it would be an issue at my local club match but a larger match maybe and as a beginner in the sport, I'd rather not lose time and money on a DQ for a rules violation.
You wouldn't have gotten a DQ. Your gun not being legal for your declared class gets you bumped to open, where you're at a severe disadvantage shooting against people with optics, compensators, and 20+ round magazines. :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yeah I know. I think the universe is trying to make me an infidel and change me over to a CZ. The first 3 shooters are CZ team shooters. I have not handled a sphinx although the shooter in 9th place is a friend of mine. They look like a 3500 Euro pistol though. An they are!!:):):) I have handled a stock 2 and seriously I could not see the reason to get one over a CZ. They are the same gun bar the trigger guard. Which can't be said for the Jericho 941 which is really a POS. I mean really.

·
Registered
893 Posts
100% agree.....

From a cost point of view, the CZ really is a champ. Great performance at a very reasonable price.

Would you ever consider making the switch to a steel gun? It looks like you do an outstanding job with the PPQ, great fundamentals and gun handling skills, so no reason to have to make a change, but any desire at all to feel that steel in your hand as you run a stage?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sundevil my friend. You won't believe it. I bought a second hand CZ shadow. Really. I will probably start using it in IPSC but I still love my Q. I did use the Q in today'w match. Haven't shot the Shadow in competition yet. I'm all out with the files and sandpapers and such.:)

·
Registered
893 Posts
Congrats man!

I think you'll love the CZ, it's not that the PPQ is a bad, it's not, it's just that CZ definitely makes you a little better than you are normally. I'm not sure if I'd say it brings out my best by making it easier, or by hiding my flaws. Whatever it is, it works!

How often are you getting out and shooting matches? How often are you getting club/major matches?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts