Walther Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post, hello all! I am now the proud owner of a PPQ M1. My only disappointment is this great gun is the gritty 1st stage take-up. However, it is not associated with the FPB as is (apparently) the case with many others. I know this because the grittiness persists when working the trigger after removing the slide. I discovered that if I put a slight inward pressure on the FPB “ear” on the trigger bar, while continuing to work the trigger, the grittiness disappears. Before I disassemble to investigate what’s going on, I thought I would ask the forum for any ideas/suggestions. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
15,040 Posts
Hello Iguana. I've smoothed out a lot of PPQ triggers. First, we need to ensure the trigger bar is properly lubed. An area that' normally gets overlooked is the contact patch between the top of the trigger bar where it slides back and forth under the trigger bar guide. That area HAS to be lubed....also HAS to be smooth. Go ahead and lube er' up and try your trigger.

Here's a snippet from one of my previous post.

Well, you just have to look and see where the trigger bar contact points are.....the points that might benefit from a little smoothing. There are two primary areas and one secondary area.

But first, we need to see if you pistol might be in need of a little smoothing. With the slide on the pistol, is the trigger pull smooth or can you feel some roughness? How bout when you remove the slide and pull the trigger….again, is the trigger smooth, or can you feel some roughness?

If you're feeling some roughness, then it may be that this procedure just might help. I can tell you this, I've done this to multiple pistols and its helped each and every one.

The primary area of concern is the top of the trigger bar that slides beneath and against the trigger bar guide. The top of the trigger bar needs to be smooth along this area, and that area starts just behind the 2nd tab and runs rearward for about 3/8".

If you want to pull the trigger bar out of the pistol, well, get after it. However, if you want to do this without removing the trigger bar, what I do is use a small piece of 320 grit, sticky backed sand paper. Don't worry, this paper is made for sanding body putty....use it on steel and it dulls down really quick...where you wind up doing more polishing than sanding. Any metal removal is extremely minimal...we're knocking off the high points or burrs and smoothing er' out.

To do this with the trigger bar in the frame, I just tear off a little piece 1/4" x 5/8 or 3/4"....then wedge this little piece in between the top of the trigger bar and the trigger bar guide. I hold it in place, where it won't move as I work the trigger back and forth....give er' a 100 strokes or so.

Now, blow er' out, and most importantly LUBE that area. Now, reassemble your pistol and try the trigger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! Imanoldfart, thanks!

I just followed your directions for solving the problem without taking things apart (I really was not looking forward to that) and it worked! Night and day difference! No more “mods” to this gun, now it’s perfect.

I’m an old fart too (79) and am really glad to have made the acquaintance of a “experienced” fellow traveler.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts