Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard it's like a unicorn or something. Does anyone know the background on these things? Are they sought out? I figured this would be the place to ask.

I've got one that's been in storage since god knows when. I was thinking about getting rid of it but wanted to ask the experts here if it was a thing or not. My internet searches haven't turned up very much other than they didn't make a lot of them and the shop in my town called it a plain Jane PPQ. I thought it was either the truth or the guy behind the counter just didn't know much about it. It has a threaded barrel too, before threaded barrels were cool.

Thanks,
-C

·
Registered
89 Posts
First Edition is the reference applied to the S&W version. ETA: See OF & OS replies below for the complete S&W story...
Followed by the Walther USA Gen 1 - M1s (paddles) & M2s (buttons) - that have a squared off ejection port & plain rifled barrels.
Then coincidental to the release of the Q45, comes Gen 2, M1/M2 - Serial numbers FCA0001 & later - that have polygonal rifled barrels and redesigned slide with swept back ejection port opening.
The frames are the same, complete slides are cross (M1/M2) and backward and forward (Gen1/2) compatible, but slide internals are for the most part not 'swappable'.

·
Premium Member
13,794 Posts
Errrrrr....... The PPQ First Edition is a variant marketed in the United States. These pistols have PPQ First Edition roll marked on the slide and feature a 118 mm (4.6 in) long special barrel with a threaded muzzle for mounting a suppressor and fixed metal 3-dot tritium night sights. Further these pistols are delivered with a standard staggered-column magazine, a second magazine with a +2 baseplate that adds 2 rounds to the magazine capacity and a set of standard polymer sights which use afterglow paint as contrast enhancements instead of tritium inserts.

Smith and Wesson was the importer, at the time and Smith and Wesson installed the 'steel night sights'. Smith and Wesson, evidently hired Fred Flintstone and his buddy 'Barney' to to the sight installation, cuz, in the process Fred and Barney flubbed up a couple of hundred slides...peeling up the edge of the sight dovetail on the slide, rendering it unrepairable. They sold em' anyway.

So, take a close look at the dove tail on the left side to see if its perfect, or the edge is curled up a little.

Yep, I had one......sold it.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
The PPQ FE were a limited run in the first year of issue and only 1000 were made.
They are date coded BB (2011) they came with a threaded barrel, Walther factory tritium sights, a 15 and a 17 round mag. plus a spent casing, target, book, mag loader and metal case.
If your is marked PPQ0147 it is one of the very earliest QFEs turned out. The earliest number we actually know of right now is PPQ0007, mine is PPQ0273. I think the highest number we know is in the 0650s right now.

The tritium sights could not be imported on the weapons and had to be mounted by S&W smiths who actually bungled about 50 of the jobs and you can see mounting scratches and dings on the rear sights. Check yours for that too.

Also your backstraps are set up for the European RFI chips (they don't have them but could accept them).

To answer your question about value, it is a bit unique and in prime condition would command a good price from a Walther collector such as myself but not from the general public yet.

Your LGS guy doesn't know his Walthers or his Ps and Qs...:)

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
Don't steal my thunder fart...:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
errrr...sorry OF, I didn't mean to infer it was made by S&W; edited my original reply to note your scholarship.

Were there any S&W imports without the "First Edition" stamp?

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
S&W was Walther's importer for a number of years. You can find many Walthers so marked. I think they had the importation contract for about 10 or 12 years MGMike will know.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
Yup I'd buy another QFE too.

I have to say with the exception of my Q45 my QFE still has the sweetest stock trigger of all my Qs.

Out of the box it was smooth as silk. It still is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the input, it will most likely be making an appearance on the for sale page soon I think. I'll get some pictures up at some point. I'll take a look at the sights too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts