Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read a lot recently about the PPQ and want to make it my first purchase. However I can't figure out if it's worth it to pay the extra 100- for it given that so many problems with the sights have been mentioned. Am I better off paying 100 less by getting the current edition and then paying for a threaded barrel and purchasing after market sights?

In addition, has anyone recently gotten a 1st edition version, and has the rear sight issue been corrected with units produced later in the production run?

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have a std. PPQ in 9m/m.I have never seen a First Edition,except on this site.I am not going to buy a suppressor and do not need a threaded barrel.Night sights will be more available as these pistols are selling well,and I am in no hurry.I will not buy a First Edition on line because of so many complaints.There will probably be the same pistol w/o the first ed.logo in the future.There is a Navy model I heard about,but no conformation as to what or if this true.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, there is a navy one: Carl Walther GmbH

Doesn't look like anyone is selling it though (if someone knows where to pick one up, I'd be interested to know).

I would like the threaded barrel and extra clip, but what I'm wondering is if the current edition is going for only 515, am I better off not taking the risk on getting a 1st edition w/ rear sights jammed on, and just doing the upgrade myself. Or has production fixed that problem, in which case the extra 100 is worth it to get everything in a nice package.

·
Registered
337 Posts
To lead is tasty:

It is a magazine, not a clip.

Remember the first edition comes with the magazine extension, the night sights, and the threaded barrel...so if you have aspirations of adding these features later, then you will most likely save money buying the first edition.

·
Registered
46 Posts
no extra clip with FE. You get a threaded barrel, night sights, and First Edition markings.

wow whitebrad posted at the SAME time as me.. and was more acurate.. I forgot about the extended magazine (17 vs 15) you get with the FE.

The standard gun comes with 2x 15 instad of 1x15 and 1x17.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Th FE comes with one 15rd mag and one 17rd mag.

Am I better off paying 100 less by getting the current edition and then paying for a threaded barrel and purchasing after market sights?
The only place to get a factory threaded barrel, is from Earl's, for $400. The factory night sights cost $150 from S&W, while aftermarket night sights run $80+. The 17rd mag should be $60+.

If I wanted the features that come on the FE, I'd buy one, after inspecting the rear sight first if possible.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I sure hope people can always get a basic PPQ 9mm without all the special stuff. It would be sad to see a really great handgun follow many others that have become IMHO nothing but high priced junkers.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would say to only buy the 1st edition PPQ if you want the option to add a suppresor. If you live in a state which you can't add one, or have no intention of doing so, then do not buy the 1st edition.

I bought a 1st edition and it had the damaged night sights, wish I never bought it.

I want the option to add a suppresor because I very well may do that.

The other thing is the 1st edition has a barrel that sticks out like 3/4 of an inch with a threaded cap on it. This cap I heard keeps coming loose. That is why if you do not want to add the suppresor, why have the bother. It is not worth the cool factor of having a threaded barrel in my opinion.

I am also tempted to sell my 1st edition PPQ, and buy a regular PPQ.

Also, I would not buy an after market threaded barrel, because the PPQ 1st edition is all serial numbered for it and it was all fitted together to work at the factory. Not that you may have a problem, but the gun will probably have better resale with a barrel that has the same serial number as the gun.

Also the PPQ 1st edition is like $200 dollars more than a standard PPQ. I do not know how you figure it is only $100 dollars more.

Only buy the 1st edition if you know the night sights are not damaged.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't believe the pistol was ever intended to be shot with the thread protector installed. I have an HK USP Tactical with a B&T Suppressor. The pistol didn't come with the thread protector -- it is an additional part that can be purchased. Several places indicated not to shoot the pistol with the thread protector installed - so I don't. I won't with the PPQ either.

I mean really, the threads aren't that delicate -- and I have no intention of abusing the business end of my pistol anyway...

When I got my 1st Edition, I removed the thread protector and placed it into the nice little hole in the case that was designed to hold it. It will remain there so it doesn't get lost -- but I don't intend to ever use it...

Even if I choose not to add a suppressor to the PPQ, I bought the 1st edition becasue I liked the extra length the threaded barrel provides. Extra length = extra velocity and better accuracy. The night sights (mine are undamaged) were nice, but the extra extended capacity magazine was more important to me.

I didn't buy my 1st Edition to be a "collector" (does anyone know how many were produced?) -- rather I will make mine a shooter and possible CCW. If will cease to look "factory new" quickly in my case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So looking through a half million google images, I still can't tell (all first ed. images have the suppressor on, and all images w/o one don't have the 1st ed. slide). Does the 1st edition barrel stick out only with the thread protector on or does it stick out with it off as well?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
So looking through a half million google images, I still can't tell (all first ed. images have the suppressor on, and all images w/o one don't have the 1st ed. slide). Does the 1st edition barrel stick out only with the thread protector on or does it stick out with it off as well?
It sticks out all the time. The threads are cut into the barrel, so there's no way the thread protector could be on otherwise.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I don't know why you are having such a hard time, but look at the first edition night sight thread; I know people took pictures there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've read a lot recently about the PPQ and want to make it my first purchase. However I can't figure out if it's worth it to pay the extra 100- for it given that so many problems with the sights have been mentioned. Am I better off paying 100 less by getting the current edition and then paying for a threaded barrel and purchasing after market sights?

In addition, has anyone recently gotten a 1st edition version, and has the rear sight issue been corrected with units produced later in the production run?

I'll help.

I had a Walther PPQ First Edition. Sold it a few weeks ago for more than I paid for it to someone with more money than sense.
Around here a Walther PPQ sells for about $500 - $600 plus tax. The PPQ I bought cost $650 Tax and all and that was the discount he gave me, a really good deal. This dealer sells a standard PPQ for $549.99. So about $100 - $150 more over the standard PPQ.

I had it for about a month and a half. Put about 500 rounds through it trouble free other than my thumb on 2 occasions not locking the slide back. Not the guns fault just the long extended ambi-slide release being pressed down by my thumbs forward gip. I have told people add 50 pounds to a glock 19 and thats what a PPQ is like. A PPQ is a Plump Glock 19 but NOT overly big or heavy. Basically ever dimension on the PPQ is just a little big bigger than that of a Glock 19.

Threaded barrels are for any type of handgun depending on manufacturer of handgun and the maker of the barrel anywhere between $150 to $350. So lets say $250 for the barrel with Protector. The chrono reading of my barrel and a barrel from another shooters gun was about the same. Maybe 15 feet per second more but as the guy who's chrono we were using, thats within the standard deviation of a handgun round. In other words from shot to shot 15 - 35 fps difference is what you are to expect with it with handgun ammunition. He said there is basically no real difference in my barrel and the guy that was at the range that day standard PPQ 9mm. The thread protector actually adds about 1/10" of an inch to the length of the barrel.

Night sights are anywhere from $100 to I've seen some go for $200.00 for special applications used for suppressors. So lets say $150 for the sights. They are not Trijicons but they are better than Mepros. I prefer Trijicons. Yes my gun had the problem with the sight install and the damaged slide. If I still had the gun I would not send it back to Smith to have the slide replaced as has been said on this site. I would just deal with it. You will more than likely will have a different serial number on the gun and the barrel is semi fitted to the original slide. I doubt that Smith is going to fit the barrel to the new slide or vice versa. BUT this is just my opinion.

The 17 Rd mag is easily $45.00 but also remember it only comes with 2 mags. Not 2 15 and one 17. BUT One 15 and One 17. for a total of 2 mags. The +2 on the mag is nice and simple but a little hard to take off and clean the mag. Which I do every time I shoot any mag I take apart and clean it mainly because I only take 2 handgun mags with me when I got to shoot any pistol I own. Glock plus 2 are easier to deal with but this is not a miss for the mag just remember the mag is not going to be ricky ticky quick in take down. The extended mag makes getting a mag in and out easier but a 15 round mag is easier for me to deal with. I never had a time in which the mag wanted to stay in the gun and had to be physically removed. No matter what the round count was. The 17 round mag does to me seem to throw off the overall compactness of the gun. A PPQ is not a big pistol but put that 17 rounder in there and the grip does get TOO big for me. A 17 round mag or 2 in a single or double mag carrier would be nice yeah, but they would get in the way with them being used all the time carried in the gun.

The case is eh. Its almost double the size of the standard PPQ case has a nice finish to it and some metal clamps. Overall look is cool and neat with the Walther logo in blue and it has good look to it. Its not a crappy case but when you start looking at it you can tell its more flash and style than durability and quality.

SO total $500 and that just rounding up for the case. I have seen cases in this quality sell for around $30.00. I have heard though threaded barrels for a PPQ can run $300-$350 just for the barrel.
Overall Well thought out and for what you get it really is a good deal.

BUT

Do you really need that threaded barrel. I thought I was going to get a Suppressor I didn't. The sights while nice are again not my taste as they are not Trijicons. The 17 round mag is an added benefit but again 3 mags (extra 15 rounder) in this price range would have been nice. The case is Eh.
My personal opinion is that the Standard PPQ is a much better deal, at the $489 - $530 price range I am seeing in places now, for the average shooter or someone not really caring to collect but to go shooting, Self Defense Home defense and CCW. Although if you want it heck buy it. Its your money and if you really want a FE PPQ get it its really not that bad of a deal over all.

I was going to start a thread and do a full review of the gun but decided this would do in this thread. I don't even own the gun anymore.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll help.
That was a fantastic review, exactly the info I was looking for. It even solidified my fellings about a silencer. While I'd really like one, for 1000.00 I can get a second gun, and I think I'd have more fun with two guns than 1 gun that goes -plink- instead of -bang-. What did you wind up going after instead of the PPQ FE?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sippresors are usually much cheaper than 1,000. Side by side with a glock 17 the FE is a hair longer but about the same size. With out the threaded barrel it's about the same size as a 19. The nightsights are very dim compared to meps or most others. The 17rnd mags have been kinda hard to get. The case is. Nothing special. For the extra money I think the FE is well worth it. If I had to do over I'd still get the FE over and over again

·
Registered
17 Posts
That was a fantastic review, exactly the info I was looking for. It even solidified my fellings about a silencer. While I'd really like one, for 1000.00 I can get a second gun, and I think I'd have more fun with two guns than 1 gun that goes -plink- instead of -bang-. What did you wind up going after instead of the PPQ FE?

Nothing Yet.
You see I'm a Cynical A******. More on this later.

The PPQ is an excellent pistol that for $480-$530 has an excellent weapon for the money. Yeah mags are a little pricey but wait a year and I bet they get on average 10 bucks cheaper per mag. That trigger is very nice, a little long in the distance but great.
I still would like to get a Standard PPQ 9mm but the extended slide release levers seem to get in the way of my thumbs forward grip. So its not really out of the list, but just at the bottom of the list.

I was hoping for the HK P40 Striker Fired Pistol they are rumored to be working on. Supposedly the Bavarian state police are the last agency using the P7 and if they went to new guns, a Striker fired HK would be what they want. They are working on something called the P40 well see. My hopes were again dashed by shot this year No striker fired P40, No glock Carbine. Eh oh well.

Glocks in 9mm right now I don't trust. I have heard and seen with my own eyes New 9mm 3rd gen and 4th gen 9mm Glocks that have too many issues just to be limp wristing or any other of the myriad listed causes that the shooter can "Supposedly induce".

The FNS is what I will probably wind up with in the next few months maybe if the model WITHOUT the ambi safety lever comes out in April. Even going to have a Long-slide model in late April. I have been handling them every time I go into a gun shop that has them. They feel real good and the trigger while a shorter pull than a Glock and much shorter than the PPQ it is heavier in pull. The FNS is the only gun with a Reset that comes close to as short as a PPQ.

When it comes to suppressors yeah your right but I will get a suppressor one day. Somebody told me one time suppressing pistols properly is expensive easy and fun. Suppressing Rifles is VERY VERY VERY expensive and fun but still with most rifles rounds in loadings and bullet weights you still have that Crack loud sound. If you can only do one, suppress a pistol specifically 22LR or a 9mm, cheaper in the long run. Plus they seem to last longer I'm told than one for a Rifle. More gas and pressure of the rifle round can erode internals more than that of a 9mm
You can get a suppressor for about $700 with tax stamp. But they are not very good quality. But they do work. Problem is with buying suppressors and the current environment no matter what you buy there is still a $200 tax applied. There are some old suppressor designs that can be built and sold for right around $250. A very marketable price but they are not the greatest and have a finite lifespan that can be very short. But you see you still have to pay $200 on top of that for one.
If your going to get one you might as well get one thats going to last and is a high end design with a good rep behind the company. So you wind up spending $900 to $1100 for a good 9mm can with state of the art materials and design. It will last and if you take care of it and be careful it will last a life time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bit the bullet, made a decision, got the regular edition for 550 at the store. Oggling over it, and hopefully get to shoot off 150-rounds tomorrow : ) Thanks for all the input. I think I'll slowly build up to buying the suppressor and hope the cost of a threaded barrel comes down to 150.00 eventually.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Buy more ammo, Practice, and have fun. Mine ran good with Federal champion 100 rd value packs. But run a full box of your carry/defensive round to make sure it runs good with it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I did a review, with pictures, for the PPQ M2.
Here's the PPQ M2 thread:
http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/29852-review-those-who-fence-buying-walther-ppq-m2.html

So, I will now post pictures of the First Edition.

I've got both PPQ First Edition and PPQ M2. First, I only had the PPQ M2. But a friend of mine traded his PPQ FE with one of my 1911s. I like the PPQ M2 very much, that i basically lusted after the First Edition.

Do I really need a PPQ FE with a threaded barrel for a suppressor? Probably not. But it's good to own two PPQs, since I like the PPQ mechanics.

I have not fired them both at the same time at the range to compare how they shoot for me. However, both triggers feel the same to me.

Here is a picture of the PPQ FE case. Larger than the PPQ Classic or M2. Slightly different material and locking mechanism.

Here is a view of the case from the top:

Here is the open case. The PPQ FE comes with only one barrel (threaded barrel), 1 15-round magazine, 1-17 round magazine and 3 grip sizes. My trade PPQ FE came with an extra unthreaded barrel and two extra 15-round magazines. This is what you will see in the picture: PPQ FE with threaded barrel, extra unthreaded barrel, 1-17 round magazine, 3-15 round magazines.

Here is the PPQ FE with the threaded barrel (with serial number matched to frame):

Here is the PPQ FE with the extra factory unthreaded barrel:

Here are my four PPQ FE magazines. Remember that it only comes with 2 magazines when you purchase it, not 4.

Here is the First Edition marking on the slide:

Here are the night sights:

Here are the grip inserts. The Medium size grip is on the pistol. The small and large inserts are on the right hand side, not installed.

Hope this helps you visualize the PPQ First Edition.

If I have to pick one...that would be tough.
Since I like variety, I can enjoy both...since somebody wanted one of my 1911s.

If you don't really plan to get a suppressor, you can get the M2 or the Classic.
The suppressor adds to the length that can have a slight effect on concealability.
However, having the night sights is good.

If I can only have one pistol, and I can have an extra unthreaded barrel, I will take the First Edition.

Defensor
DEFENSOR GUNLEATHER - specializes in high quality concealed carry leather holsters

1 - 20 of 25 Posts