Walther Forums banner

161 - 180 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'll have to check my trigger pull later tonight. I was close to 3lbs, best I could measure with the OEM trigger and Sprinco springs. It was difficult to measure because of the excess takeup and grit. My competition 1911's are about 2.5lbs, and it doesn't feel that light, but the travel and reset....wow!
Just to clarify, I previously installed one of the springs Lanzerbot recommended. +1 on everything you stated :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Q5 SF 1350.00
Sprinco springs 25.00
ZR guiderod 35.00
Wilson 13# spring 15.00
LOK thin grips 110.00
TF +6 basepads 50.00
Dynamic trigger & sear 245.00
FTP Alpha 3 Optic 375.00
All rounded and from memory. Could be a hundred more or less and I included shipped in pricing.
$2205.00 add 75-110 for holster cost.
Wife's Q4 was more because she got an SRO and the 110.00 holster!

I still wouldn't trade for a poly or a Sig Legion, and the Legion people said the same, BEFORE, the new trigger!

·
Registered
245 Posts
It's not all for naught. I shot a match Sunday and made a couple A zone headshots a shooter 2 levels above missed with his Legion CO.
I finally measured the trigger pull this afternoon after 125 or so rounds before cleaning the pistol from Sundays match.
1lb 12oz. from the "wall" thru the break. And I'll tell ya, there isn't much movement getting to the "wall" and the reset is just as nice and short. I didn't do any polishing, I just dropped the trigger and sear housing in, a little FP10 and off to the races!
It's damn close to a good 1911 trigger, my 1911 smith tried it at the safe area before the match and he was impressed!
It is literally NOT like a striker trigger anymore!
Another one on order for my Wife's Q4SF.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It's not all for naught. I shot a match Sunday and made a couple A zone headshots a shooter 2 levels above missed with his Legion CO.
I finally measured the trigger pull this afternoon after 125 or so rounds before cleaning the pistol from Sundays match.
1lb 12oz. from the "wall" thru the break. And I'll tell ya, there isn't much movement getting to the "wall" and the reset is just as nice and short. I didn't do any polishing, I just dropped the trigger and sear housing in, a little FP10 and off to the races!
It's damn close to a good 1911 trigger, my 1911 smith tried it at the safe area before the match and he was impressed!
It is literally NOT like a striker trigger anymore!
Another one on order for my Wife's Q4SF.
Very good to hear. I was told that my trigger would likely be sent out the end of last week but I haven't seen it yet. I have a match this Saturday so hope it comes in beforehand!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I shot Missouri Fall Classic last Saturday Stage 9 was "The Jack" named after church security guard Jack Wilson. 48 foot shot, 1rd Virginia Count to head zone only (USPSA). Great gun and lucky... 20201005_053037.jpg 20200627_043459.jpg

·
Registered
245 Posts
Excellent! I didn't have such luck, speed, or precision when I tried it last spring! Your nickname is gonna be Jack! How many actually made the shot?

·
Registered
15 Posts
171 shooters, 130 hits, I came in 46th (pistol only 28th) . Fastest was .38 seconds (PCC). Fastest pistol 1.34 seconds (Carry Optics). It was a great match with lots of fun stages.

·
Registered
245 Posts
171 shooters, 130 hits, I came in 46th (pistol only 28th) . Fastest was .38 seconds (PCC). Fastest pistol 1.34 seconds (Carry Optics). It was a great match with lots of fun stages.
Sounds like fun. PCC doesn't count, lol. You came in 28th! You were close enough to the fastest pistol. GM or M at 1.34 would be my guess. And he was "lucky" too. 171 shooters must have been an area sanctioned match and 130 hits Virginia count is pretty good!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Very good to hear. I was told that my trigger would likely be sent out the end of last week but I haven't seen it yet. I have a match this Saturday so hope it comes in beforehand!
Still no trigger. Obviously shot the match without it. May call them this week.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Update: I just called Earle's and was told the latest batch of Dynamic triggers and sears has been delayed and we probably won't see them for a few weeks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Update: I just called Earle's and was told the latest batch of Dynamic triggers and sears has been delayed and we probably won't see them for a few weeks.
Do you have any idea if earl's has any other colors besides black in that next shipment?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I called them as well. Despite telling me three weeks ago that it would be shipped at the end of the week, I'm now told that it will be a few more weeks. Wouldn't be so bad if they didn't charge your account on the day they receive the order.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got one in grey from Earl’s. Love the Dynamic Trigger, nice upgrade on original. Very short pull and reset, did take some weight off. Straight trigger does not lengthen pull, seems shorter. I already had modified the sear, but nice to know you can buy that now.

I have an early production SF and had to reduce the trigger safety to clear the frame, had to do same on original trigger safety, safety still functions fine.

·
Premium Member
13,882 Posts
Installed my Dynamic Trigger. Also did the Lanzer mod to the sear housing in a 'new' PPQ Q5 Match frame that I had picked up a year or so ago. Out of the box, the Dynamic Trigger bar looked really nice. The only thing I did was use a popsicle stick and a piece of 1000 grit sand paper to hit the area where the 'trigger bar guide' slides back on the trigger bar. Put er' all together, installed the light weight trigger spring I always use, lubed er' up and began playing with the trigger......just feeling it out. Take up is greatly reduced and the pull is butter smooth. Over travel and reset travel doesn't seem to have changed.

Dry fired it a few times and then removed the slide and went thru the 'Walther, expert setup/adjustment' procedure....adjusting the single action sear and single action lever contact patch to meet the minimum requirement.

With the adjustment completed and slide reinstalled, I played with the trigger again. Creep is 'almost' nonexistent.....I say that because you can't have Zero creep, since creep is defined by how much or how large the contact patch is between the single action lever and the single action sear. So, pull the trigger back to the wall and the break is Very nice.

Close examination revels that some additional takeup and over travel could be eliminated. Too bad there doesn't seem to be an easy way to accomplish either one.

But all in all, this trigger is very nice, and best of all, its a factory part.

Here's a few pictures.

Sear housing mod.....yes, Lanzer gets all the credit for this innovative solution. You may not be able to tell, but that's not the factory trigger return spring.

Turning the screw clockwise will reduce overlap/creep....should only be adjusted by an authorized Walther representative.

·
Premium Member
13,882 Posts
They're close, but I'd probably give the edge to the Walther trigger. It's almost like splitting hairs, as the break and over travel are the same. The Dynamic trigger's pretravel is just a little less than the Apex. But, like I said, there's still room to take some more pre travel out, I'm just not sure how to best accomplish it. Same goes for the over travel.

If I was going to buy another trigger, I'd go with the Walther Dynamic Trigger.

·
Registered
141 Posts
After months I finally got a call from Earl's that my trigger would be shipped out. I also received an e-mail indicating that the shipping label had been printed so I'm optimistic. Unfortunately my match season is over for this year but I look forward to receiving the trigger and tuning the pistol for next year.

·
Registered
141 Posts
They're close, but I'd probably give the edge to the Walther trigger. It's almost like splitting hairs, as the break and over travel are the same. The Dynamic trigger's pretravel is just a little less than the Apex. But, like I said, there's still room to take some more pre travel out, I'm just not sure how to best accomplish it. Same goes for the over travel.

If I was going to buy another trigger, I'd go with the Walther Dynamic Trigger.
That would be a shame if the Apex out-performed the Walther premium trigger.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My trigger arrived today. The trigger system came in a nice plastic box like a much smaller version of the pistol boxes. I also bought the updated fire control system.

Installation was completed in under 30 minutes. Much of the time was spent re-installing the spring/lever in the sear assembly (fire control group) which had fallen out in shipping.

Altogether I'm very happy with it. The first stage is shorter, there is no perceptible 'second first stage' to push up the firing pin block, the break is a lot cleaner and the overtravel is much less.

I did nothing to the trigger and sear assembly other than install it. I thought about polishing the transfer bar bearing surfaces but decided to just go with it and see how it does. I don't regret doing it that way. I did notice that the transfer bar has some sort of coating or paint, almost like a teflon coating. I'm wondering if it is indeed a friction reducing coating that would be counterproductive to polish off.

I think it's worth noting that in addition to the installation instructions there was another sheet included that warned about the potential of damaging the pistol during stripping with the new trigger. Apparently the slide has to be held perfectly in battery position while triggering the striker. Failure to do so can cause the striker to trip after the slide passes the battery position and can cause damage. If anyone understands this please elaborate.

161 - 180 of 188 Posts