Walther Forums banner

41 - 60 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just installed OWP last night in my Q5 SF. It feels great. I am shooting Go Fast Don't Suck postal match this morning. Carry Optics.... Excited !!!!
2 stages fast, 2 stages sucked, 1 stage really sucked ( I shoot w/ my wife and she runs a Glock 34....went to do my reload and had one of her mags....really really sucked). We are both 62 and have a blast competing. Come on next year !!! Oh and trigger is great !!!(y)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I finally got the OWP out to the range. I will just say WOW! It feels very much like shooting a single-action pistol. Cleaner, crisper and shorter than the APEX offering.

The Apex offering is good but feels mushy in comparison.

I put 400 rounds down range through a poly Q5 Match equipped with an RMR. No issues with reliability.

The trigger reach is .2 inches shorter than the Apex. It is a small but noticeable difference.

The overall feel is very similar to shooting a good single action trigger.
Your last sentence really intrigues me. Would you go as far as to say as good as a good 1911 trigger??

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Your last sentence really intrigues me. Would you go as far as to say as good as a good 1911 trigger??
It's a little different feel than a 1911 but pretty dang good. The feel is a little different because the mechanics are different but it's close.

For me, the shooting experience is closer to shooting a single action pistol than shooting most striker guns.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Well, something to consider then. We shoot 1911's in IDPA CO but I've been running a Q5SF in USPSA CO with the sprinco springs and I'm surprised that I don't mind it at all. The pull is somewhere around 3.0 best I can measure with my Lyman digital. The excess takeup doesn't seem to bother me when shooting in a stage. I just ordered a Q4 SF for the wife and the sprinco's for that. We'll see how it goes sometime next week. If she bitches, I'll probably do hers first which will make it a 2300 dollar gun all set up. You know what they say about a happy wife.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
No striker trigger is close to as good as a quality sa hammer fired trigger. I love the ppq trigger but it isn't as good as a quality 1911 or tuned cz SA

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
No striker trigger is close to as good as a quality sa hammer fired trigger. I love the ppq trigger but it isn't as good as a quality 1911 or tuned cz SA

You make a valid point,
But the Walther P99AS and HKp7m13 come pretty close.
I can not speak for the others but I enjoy trying to get the most out of striker fired pistol.

·
Registered
204 Posts

Well, this is discussing the aftermarket PPQ triggers, but I agree

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just ordered the PPQ dynamic trigger while I was on the phone with Walther CS. The salesperson mentioned that the grey dynamic trigger was sold out but black was (thankfully) still in stock. $145 shipped, and CS said that it will be mailed in two days. We shall see!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just ordered the PPQ dynamic trigger while I was on the phone with Walther CS. The salesperson mentioned that the grey dynamic trigger was sold out but black was (thankfully) still in stock. $145 shipped, and CS said that it will be mailed in two days. We shall see!
Please keep us posted.
I am anxiously waiting on an update from Earls.
Thanks!

·
Registered
204 Posts
That's about 50 dollars cheaper than the Overwatch Precision trigger.
Yes. But when I talked to Earls about it this week, he said it reduces takeup and reset while providing a flat trigger shoe, but does not lower the pull weight. It will be very interesting to hear the report once someone actually gets it installed and tries it out since it's definitely a fair bit less $$ than OP.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I called Earl's today to discuss when shipment of the new Walther trigger would be received in his shop and they stated expected delivery was early to mid September now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes. But when I talked to Earls about it this week, he said it reduces takeup and reset while providing a flat trigger shoe, but does not lower the pull weight. It will be very interesting to hear the report once someone actually gets it installed and tries it out since it's definitely a fair bit less $$ than OP.
Depending upon what you want in terms of trigger weight the Sprinco spring kit may address your needs. From my experience it seems to reduce the trigger pull from over 5 lb. to around 3.5 lb. If you buy the PPQ kit it also includes a trigger block spring that reduces the pressure on the first stage of the trigger too.

As I understand it, the Overwatch trigger also comes with two sets of springs. One is reportedly 3.8 lb.

Of course, I have to wonder why we are discussing the replacement of triggers on a $1500 pistol. Oh well...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Depending upon what you want in terms of trigger weight the Sprinco spring kit may address your needs. From my experience it seems to reduce the trigger pull from over 5 lb. to around 3.5 lb. If you buy the PPQ kit it also includes a trigger block spring that reduces the pressure on the first stage of the trigger too.

As I understand it, the Overwatch trigger also comes with two sets of springs. One is reportedly 3.8 lb.

Of course, I have to wonder why we are discussing the replacement of triggers on a $1500 pistol. Oh well...
Because I can get it in gray!!!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
It happens

its normal. You must realize that $1500 is mid-level 1911 territory. It's admittedly pricy for a striker pistol, but German engineering and the word "competition" must have some effect. My buds that shoot Sig Legions say they would have got the SF except for "the price". They've all put a few hundred into their Legions too. At least it's not as bad as some STI's or an Atlas. LOL I surely wouldn't buy a SF for carry or to just go down to the local gravel pit or square range.

·
Registered
204 Posts

The Overwatch has some saying that it's almost like a good SA trigger. That's quite a compliment and if true will be a high bar for Walther to top. I would hope to get either down around 2.5-3.0 lbs somehow. THEN, you're getting into the territory of a good 1911 trigger.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have the overwatch trigger set at 2.5 lbs, 1911 set at 3 and they are close, but different. I also did a polish job on the 1911. I also have the dynamic trigger on order so as soon as it arrives I will do and in-depth review. Then you guys can speculate on my findings, or do as I, and purchase one of each and see for yourselves, LOL

Regards, keithwhite100

·
Registered
95 Posts
From Ligget: "its normal. You must realize that $1500 is mid-level 1911 territory. It's admittedly pricy for a striker pistol, but German engineering and the word "competition" must have some effect. My buds that shoot Sig Legions say they would have got the SF except for "the price". They've all put a few hundred into their Legions too. At least it's not as bad as some STI's or an Atlas. LOL I surely wouldn't buy a SF for carry or to just go down to the local gravel pit or square range."

Yeah, I'm an old man. To me, a $1.5K pistol that is labeled "Match" should have something other than a cheap plastic trigger with stamped steel parts with bearing surfaces that have nasty fissures. After all, we live in a world of CNC where a part can be made with smooth precision. But I'm just an old fart.

By the way, my $750 1911 has a flawless trigger.

41 - 60 of 107 Posts