Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I am creating a 4 part video series on YouTube to illustrate the complete disassembly and reassembly of the Walther PPQ. I couldn't find one anywhere so I decided to create my own.

Episode 3: PPQ Frame Disassembly - coming soon

Episode 4: PPQ Frame Reassembly - coming soon.

Feedback on my YouTube channel is welcome and appreciated. :D
I'm known there as BigBlueDragonfly09

Thanks.

·
Registered
301 Posts
thanks for doing this...will definitely help us noobs

when doing the initial cleaning and lube of a new gun is it safe to assume that disassembly of the entire slide is not necessary for the initial cleaning and lubrication and just a basic field strip and clean and lube is all that is required?

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
That is accurate, LongJohn..

Well done big blue dragon! :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good video. I took mine apart last night to clean out my slide and when I was putting it back together I noticed something about the spring which goes into the plunger that holds the extractor into place. That plungers spring has a big circle end and a smaller circle end. It is easy to tell because if you try and install the spring with the smaller circle end it falls right into the plunger. If you try and install that plunger spring with the big circle end going in first it takes some force to make it go in as if you have to try and thread it counter-clockwise and then it will snap in. Does it really matter which end goes in first into that plunger?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spring tension would be slightly higher if the small end does not go down into the hole because it would be compressed more. But, I really don't think it makes any difference. All that spring does is keep the pin in place. I would venture to guess it is made that way so it will remain in place easier while you reassemble. There should be no functional effect either way.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The frame disassembly will be a little more tedious and time consuming. I may break up that video into shorter segments. Where the slide is composed mostly of steel parts, the frame is composed mostly of polymer parts that don't hold up well to repeated blunt force with metal tools. I am taking this one slow to cause as little wear and tear as possible, and to minimize my fumbling on camera :eek:

In response to some of the questions I've received, this is not something I recommend the average user attempt for the purpose of routine cleaning. I usually just clean the frame with a dry toothbrush and wipe it down with a lint free cloth after every IDPA match. Spray silicone goes on wet but stays slick when dry. That seems to work best for me on polymer/plastic where I don't want oil to collect burnt powder and debris. If that happens over time, I occasionally have to spray non-chlorinated brake cleaner in and around those parts to blast it clean.

Complete disassembly is something I only do about once a year, or when service is needed. Based upon prior experience with Glocks, I have also found it prudent to replace all the springs about every 4000 rounds or so in order to preempt failures due to spring fatigue or micro fractures. I don't like surprises during a match. Your mileage may vary. I'm sure my dry fire practice also contributes to the wear and tear on the springs.

Is all this really necessary? Probably not, but the engineer in me has always enjoyed the challenge of taking things apart and putting them back together in order to better understand how they work. These videos are probably more of a documentary on my curious nature than they are an instructional video on what you should do with yours.

BigBlueDragonfly09

·
Registered
29 Posts
When re-assembling the firing pin safety spring got slightly bent. I bent it back into shape. Is there any way to get replacement springs for this thing yet ?

·
Registered
248 Posts
yes

Call Walthers at (479) 242 8500 and take to the parts dept guys.
For the PPQ M2 model
FPB spring part number is 18.1
FPB itself is part number 18.2

When re-assembling the firing pin safety spring got slightly bent. I bent it back into shape. Is there any way to get replacement springs for this thing yet ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts