Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So finally got this setup to run with the q. Imi defense kidon with sba3 brace and a vortex crossfire red dot. The adapter plate seems a little iffy, this thing definitely works better with pistols that have a more pronounced beaver tail,but a ppq carbine nonetheless

Sent from my H8266 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,502 Posts
I like your set up.
Is it considered an SBR in that configuration?

My Triarii set up is an SBR when the braced against your shoulder but not when you wrist mount it. (I really don't see how anyone could actually do that and use the weapon). I went ahead and had the Q registered as an SBR.

Mine is a dedicated set up. Can yours mount to other weapons?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The email I received from imi stated that as long as there is no stock attached it is not an sbr. The kidon is modular and can work with a lot of different pistols, I also used it with a cz p07, p09 and sp01 which I actually prefer because they lock in more securely with the beaver tail, but I no longer have a p07 or sp01 and my p09 has a dot.
This is a link to the product page that lists all the different pistols it is compatible with
https://www.imidefense.com/product/kidon-pistol-conversion-kit/

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The adapter plates for pistol with no beaver tail are kind of janky. The pistol was moving out of the adapter until I tightened the crap out of it at the rail and the back. Now it's fine, the vortex crossfire red dot however is a piece of sh#t and shut off in between rounds. But while it worked was a blast

·
Premium Member
8,502 Posts
Too bad about the Vortex. If you don't have co-witnessed iron sights it would make things rather difficult.

My EOTech has always been fine but I do have pop up iron sights too just in case.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The adapter plates for pistol with no beaver tail are kind of janky. The pistol was moving out of the adapter until I tightened the crap out of it at the rail and the back.
Nice that you got it working. Since there is just a tiny lug to keep the back of the PPQ fixed and both the lug of the adapter and the frame of the PPQ is plastic, I'm afraid it will wear and become unusable in time. Keep us posted on how it develops.

Now we need some higher capacity mags, like +30 rounds!

·
Premium Member
8,502 Posts
Like this??? Ask fart:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Too bad about the Vortex. If you don't have co-witnessed iron sights it would make things rather difficult.

My EOTech has always been fine but I do have pop up iron sights too just in case.
I sent it back to vortex because you know they have an endless amount of cheap pos optics to replace your cheap pos optic with. The setup will end up being a trijicon sro in a pic mount/riser and then I can also mount the same optic to my slide so it can do double duty. For the time being it will be a holosun 407c

·
Premium Member
8,502 Posts
I suppose that makes some sense.

Tell me what purpose is your carbine going to be used for?

Mine is a dedicated hurricane weapon...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea more or less that for me, home defense and recreation. My p09 is my current home defense weapon, same capacity as my q with tti basepads and I can shoot the p09 almost as fast and accurate as the q in the kidon. The q alone can not keep up with the p09 sadly

·
Registered
102 Posts
My Triarii set up is an SBR when the braced against your shoulder but not when you wrist mount it. (I really don't see how anyone could actually do that and use the weapon). I went ahead and had the Q registered as an SBR.
The ATF reversed that (obviously incorrect) "ruling", and we're back to the proper interpretation of a brace is a brace independent of how it is used. It can be shouldered without being registered as an SBR.

I know you have yours legally SBR'ed, so you can mount an actual stock and vertical grip if you chose, but as pictured, that configuration w/ brace, does not require SBR registration.

I recently tried an SBA3 on an AR pistol and have been thinking about adding one to my Triarii. Currently I have the same, original Sig brace as in your picture. The SBA3 attaches to a standard buffer tube (so it can't twist) and has length of pull adjustment. Love the Triarii. :cool:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My first ar pistol had the sig brace and I absolutely hated it. So heavy, uncomfortable and moved around to boot! The money spent on a new tube and sba3/sba4 is well well worth it. My kidon came with the standard tube so I just needed a sba3

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got a holosun 515c from a Bayou shooter member and man what a difference. Thing is rock solid and a blast to shoot.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah, the Sig brace is way heavier than the SBA3. The Triarii itself is pretty heavy, so maybe the weight helps balance it. Mine is just being used recreationally, so it's a little hard to justify spending another $100 for another brace. I guess I could sell the Sig brace to help with that.

Still surprises me how much more accurate the pistol is in a carbine system.

·
Premium Member
8,502 Posts
The SBA3 looks to be a nice set up but I think I'll stick with the SIG Brace.

Mine has been rock solid and in fact been a pain in the butt to reposition on the tube.

I agree with Sih it sure does make it easy to "reach out and touch someone".

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
@Yankchef is the Q Kidon still going strong? Any new developments? I am seriously thinking of getting one for my Q45.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have one and it works, though there are a couple of things I've noticed when using the Kidon with the PPQ.

1. The rear interface adapter between the Kidon and the PPQ has a very small point of contact (the rear serial no indention) and you need to tune the pressure of the Kidon really hard to make it lock and stay in place when fired. I fear this, over time, will wear on the polymer to the point of not working. I think other pistols, with better adapter solutions, would work better in the Kidon than the PPQ.
2. Do not expect ransom-rest accuracy when firing from the Kidon. I hoped it would be a good platform for testing accuracy loads in my Q4 but I have found I shoot better groups with just the pistol.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
@Sloth thanks for the feedback!

After looking at the Kidon some more I noticed no real trigger guard to cover the trigger when not in use like the Fab KPOS or CAA Roni. I figure DA/SA would be a better option then. For the price I would probably be better served getting an AK-V from PSA.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts