Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am i the only one thats thinks its odd that the 45 hold 12 rounds and the 40 holds 11?

Is the frame that much larger in the 45 then the 40? My g23 hold 2 more rounds and has a shorter grip and almost the same thickness.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
The 40 was produced on the 9 PPQ frame, the 45 was a re-design of the 9 PPQ frame. Not odd at all.

After shooting both the 9 and 45, I've found the 45 has a slightly better trigger too.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
IIRC, the PPQ 45 has a slightly higher bore axis then the 9/40 PPQ too.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Am i the only one thats thinks its odd that the 45 hold 12 rounds and the 40 holds 11?

Is the frame that much larger in the 45 then the 40? My g23 hold 2 more rounds and has a shorter grip and almost the same thickness.
Comparing .40S&W pistols to other .40S&W pistols, it has to do with the design of the magazine.

The .40 P99 was originally a 12rd pistol, and the 9mm model was originally a 16rd pistol. Walther/Mec-Gar changed the design of the magazine to hold one less round (I'm assuming) for better reliability.

When is the last time anyone here has ever heard of anyone who has had a P99 or PPQ mag spring go bad on them? I mean seriously, I've been looking for information on 99-series pistols since the early 2000's when I bought my first, and I don't remember ever hearing of a single issue that could be traced back to a bad mag spring. I put over 14k rounds through four mags on a P99 that I carried for years, daily. I'm sure it happens after enough time, but the reports seem to be extremely rare.

Meanwhile, almost everyone I've ever known who has shot and carried a Glock 17 or Glock 19 has had to replace mag springs at one point or another. Many of them use a whole lot more than four mags.

Some designs seem to favor capacity over reliability or life of the mag spring, while others do the opposite. For example, on Chuck Taylor's Glock torture test, he stated that on the original Glock 17 mags, that the springs would last much longer if they were loaded to 15 rounds rather than 17 rounds. The same as FN with the FNX. I've heard of people having issues with the slide not locking back simply from loading the mags to capacity for a period of a few weeks.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
How close is the frame sizes between the 2? Is it very notice able?

Not anything noticeable to me. For someone who has smaller hands, and finds the PPQ 9/40 on the limit of acceptable size, it might be.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Balance. I think you are on to something. I have to replace the springs in my glocks every 2-3 years. I remember reading a few years ago that company's has stretched there springs beyond there loads to get a higher capacity. Which would make sense in the glocks. Tho my m&p’s have the same capacity in the near same size mags. But i never keep them loaded like i do my duty pistol and ccw pistol (both glocks). I never would have thought about that. Hoping i get my safariland holster soon so i can retire my gen 3 22 that is well worn in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts