Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you ever wonder how amazing a Q5 SF would be in 10mm?
Personally I think it'll crush the 2011 boys and the Glock 40 market.

I'm having a wet dream just thinking about it!

Any news of 10mm development and/or to give notice to the Walther Head Hanchos about the fast growing 10mm Market?

Cheers,
~Your Walther Fan boy.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I would buy one and have had the same thoughts about how great a Q5 SF would be in 10mm!

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
I like the 10mm but wonder how big that market really is. I'm sure Walther has access to data re sales of 10mm handguns and ammo.

Seems like we've been hearing about the resurgence of 10mm for a lot of years now.

·
Registered
968 Posts
The Q5 (I have one) is basically a competition gun and if they made a 10mm version, very few if any competitors would buy one. The 10mm has a lot more recoil than the 9mm minor or major power factor guns and would be a lot slower on splits and target acquisition.
Time (and accuracy) is everything in a match.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Here's my take...Walther just came out with the Q4 SF and are marketing it as a concealed carry gun and not a competition gun, in which most of the gun dealers I talk to think that was a bad move, as they think no one wants to carry a heavy pistol anymore in this day and age of polymer. (personally I like the Q4 SF). I would have to believe that Walther is looking at a 45 steel frame model. If they are, it would make sense that they should design it around a 10mm first, sort of like what Glock did with the 20/21 models. Yes, they would sell more 45's, but there would be a big following of 10mm fans who would buy them. Even though the Glock 20 is probably the most sold 10mm handgun out there right now, it does have those who don't like it for various issues, including reliability. If Walther came out with a 10mm that was super reliable that all these hunters, and outdoor types could take with them into the back country, I think they would sell a lot of them. It wouldn't be and shouldn't be marketed as a competition gun (at least IDPA, IPSC, etc. type competitions). Don't put the fancy cuts into the slide, etc. It should be marketed as a self-defense gun for everything from 4 legged protection to 2 legged. The 1911 and 2011 10mm's I've had don't like dirt and sand. Walther has a design that aren't bothered by dirt and sand.

·
Registered
31 Posts
all you need is a q4 sf with a threaded barrel in 45 acp. walther would sell enough of them to make it worth while. then you can do a 460 rowland conversion for ultimate firepower. with mid level 44 magnum ballistics on tap, rowland trumps 10mm all day everyday. and you can still shoot 45 acp too. thomas @ 460 rowland just made my ppq conversion run. he said the only negative about the ppq conversion is some extra muzzle rise due to the high bore axis. the steel frame would negate that. sounds like a sf 45 acp would be the perfect gun to me.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Has Walther ever made a 10mm pistol? I never even really hear people talk about 10mm anymore. Only way I see 10mm actually getting any sort of play in today's market would "maybe" and I really mean maybe a 10mm pcc or smg of some kind and it would probably take glock mags
Nothing against the cartridge, it's a phenomenal cartridge but I just haven't seen much traction for it, please correct me if I'm wrong
Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Has Walther ever made a 10mm pistol? I never even really hear people talk about 10mm anymore. Only way I see 10mm actually getting any sort of play in today's market would "maybe" and I really mean maybe a 10mm pcc or smg of some kind and it would probably take glock mags
Nothing against the cartridge, it's a phenomenal cartridge but I just haven't seen much traction for it, please correct me if I'm wrong
Walther has never made a 10mm.

As you said, 10mm is a niche cartridge. I like it but it is a niche. Walther, this far, has not tried to compete in that niche.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Both would be chambered in a 9 or 40, no need for chambering in a expensive caliber.

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Both would be chambered in a 9 or 40, no need for chambering in a expensive caliber.
Depends what you want to use the pistol for Donny. For gun games and self defense against humans I agree with you.

But, the 10mm does or can have some ballistic advantage over the two cartridges you mentioned.

Besides, we are talking guns here, since when does straight practicality have everything to do with it? ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I’m more interested in a Q5 SF in 45ACP, opposed to 10mm.
Having a threaded barrel option would be a nice addition as well.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I’m more interested in a Q5 SF in 45ACP, opposed to 10mm.
Having a threaded barrel option would be a nice addition as well.
Yea this would sell more than a 10mm but probably still come nowhere close to what 9mm sales are but 45 with this frame and a threaded barrel would be awesome

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yea this would sell more than a 10mm but probably still come nowhere close to what 9mm sales are but 45 with this frame and a threaded barrel would be awesome

Yeah 9mm is currently the prom queen no doubt about it, and 45 ACP is pulling up the rear.

Those two calibers are what majority of people shoot. Which will generate the most sales for Walther, it’s all about the bread after all. The 10mm is a boutique round. Far and few people even own a 10mm gun, including me.

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Yeah 9mm is currently the prom queen no doubt about it, and 45 ACP is pulling up the rear.

Those two calibers are what majority of people shoot. Which will generate the most sales for Walther, it’s all about the bread after all. The 10mm is a boutique round. Far and few people even own a 10mm gun, including me.
I don't know what current sales figures for 10mn ammo and reloading components are. I think the BATF tracks that.

It's does seem more and more manufacturers of handguns have a 10mm offering in their portfolio. Somebody must be buying them but I wonder how much they are getting shot???

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Full disclosure, I got tired of waiting for a 10mm Walther offering and bought a Glock 40 10mm. I then bought a Springfield Armory XDM 10mm as that Glock, while a good gun, feels like you are holding on to a 2x4.

I shoot them occasionally but nowhere to the same volume of rounds that go through my 9mm PPQs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
10mm is big with 1911 shooters, I think it is a matter of availablity and price. I see more 10mm stuff all the time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts