Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. First post here. I'll be picking up my first pistol the end of this week. I went to the shop and handled a few that I liked. I really liked the PPQ and VP9. I actually left a deposit for a VP9 (for no reason at all - it was more of a courtesy from me to show them I'd be back), but the second I left the store I had some regrets.
The PPQ actually felt much better in my hand and I liked the balanced feel of it (VP9 was a bit top heavy).
I think I was sold on the fact that the VP9 came with night sights and 3 mags for a little over 100 bucks more.
Additionally, the idea of the PPQ made me nervous because I had read many get unintentional double taps because of the short reset (which felt pretty awesome when I was dry firing).
I don't think there would be a problem if I go back and tell them I prefer the PPQ, but would like to hear thoughts from anyone who experienced the PPQ as a first pistol.
This will be more of a range/practice pistol. Not really home defense (I have a shotgun for that). And I won't be carrying ( I'm in NYC. It's a premise only license).
Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
First, welcome to the Forum! I'm a newcomer here as well, but have owned my Walthers (3 PPQs, one 4", two 5" all M2s) since 2014. I also have a VP9 as well as a few other poly 9mms (sorry folks, no Glocks). ;)

As far as "feel", despite the VP9's interchangeable side panels I find the two close enough to call it even. I liked the PPQ trigger and the grip texture better.

Changing sights on the PPQ is real easy if you decide to go that way but I think night sights are unnecessary for a range gun. My P320C came with night sights and they're pretty useless unless is really dark out.

Additional 10 round mags are available for $40 or less. Watch for upcoming Christmas sales.

As for unintended double taps, just maintain a good grip and trigger control. I've never had this happen with any of my strikers.

Not to drift to far OT but get familiar with both city and state laws regarding ownership, storage and transportation. Use your vote to protect your constitutional rights (and all of ours).

Let us know where you go!

·
Registered
248 Posts
PPQ M2 4" 9 mm was my very first pistol too

Hello all. First post here. I'll be picking up my first pistol the end of this week. I went to the shop and handled a few that I liked. I really liked the PPQ and VP9. I actually left a deposit for a VP9 (for no reason at all - it was more of a courtesy from me to show them I'd be back), but the second I left the store I had some regrets.
The PPQ actually felt much better in my hand and I liked the balanced feel of it (VP9 was a bit top heavy).
I think I was sold on the fact that the VP9 came with night sights and 3 mags for a little over 100 bucks more.
Additionally, the idea of the PPQ made me nervous because I had read many get unintentional double taps because of the short reset (which felt pretty awesome when I was dry firing).
I don't think there would be a problem if I go back and tell them I prefer the PPQ, but would like to hear thoughts from anyone who experienced the PPQ as a first pistol.
This will be more of a range/practice pistol. Not really home defense (I have a shotgun for that). And I won't be carrying ( I'm in NYC. It's a premise only license).
Thanks!

I made a wise choice when I purchased my PPQ M2 4" 9 mm as my very first pistol. I had bought an AR15 a year before and enjoyed it very much too. But after I got my PPQ I put the AR15 away and only went to the range to shoot the PPQ. It was more fun and the trigger made me an instant good shooter. The gun is so well balanced that I was hitting the 2" bulls-eye at 25 yards with ease.

I did some research on the internet and only heard good things about the PPQ back then so I was certain that I bought the right pistol. There are so many different semi-automatic pistols out there to chose from but I'm certain I made the right choice.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My first handgun was a Walther P22 and then a Walther P99C. Not quite a PPQ, but those are pretty good at splitting the difference.

As far as the PPQ vs HKVP9 - both are going to be awesome pistols and you really can't go wrong with either.

As far as your deposit... if you go back in and ask to use it towards a different pistol any reputable outfit ought to be able to accommodate that for you. If they deal in both HK's and Walthers there isn't any reason not to (unless it was a one off special order).

To be honest no one can tell you which is better. Buy either one of them. Then buy them both. You'll probably catch "the bug" and be back to purchase the other (or a different one) in another 6 months anyways.

Me personally? I like Walther... HK ain't no joke though.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
It’s a personal choice. If you makes you feel better, I often use a PPQ for my students. Nice trigger, easy to shoot well and it’s not a Glock.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I owned both the PPQ and the VP 9. I sold my VP9. My problem was both the slide lock and the take down levers rubbed on my thumbs when I shot the pistol. I even had them grind smooth both and still they abraded my thumbs ( and no it is not my grip - I use a standard grip taught in every shooting school with thumbs forward). My other problem is I am weight sensitive and the VP 9 is heavier than the PPQ. I kept my PPQ even though I don't shoot it that much right now. I believe the PPQ is every bit as tough as the Glock. The only other thing I can mention is the trigger on the VP 9 while very smooth does have a heavier pull than the one on the PPQ. But in the end is what you are most comfortable with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. Appreciate the input. I'm going to just try them again when I go. I liked them both very much. I have smaller hands so some of the Sigs and Glocks felt bulkier in my hand. The CZ75 felt really nice too. That's next on my list.
Was just nervous that the PPQ was not an ideal first pistol so it skewed my decision.
Forgot to also mention the bottom left of the bevertail on the VP9 seemed to dig into my thumb knuckle a bit but not sure if that was my grip. It slopes downward just a bit.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Either one would make a good first pistol. Whichever feels best to YOU.

The US Supreme Court may have something to say next year about NYC's draconian and unconstitutional gun laws!

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
AFAIAC all of the polymer striker pistols are pretty similar. Most are reliable, affordable, and easy to field strip and clean. I tell my customers to go with the one that feels best in the hand. If you like the way it feels you will shoot better and more often. The PPQ is an excellent choice with a superior trigger than most of it's competitors. While both are good pistols, we send way more VP9s in for repair than PPQs.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Thanks everyone. Appreciate the input. I'm going to just try them again when I go. I liked them both very much. I have smaller hands so some of the Sigs and Glocks felt bulkier in my hand. The CZ75 felt really nice too. That's next on my list.
Was just nervous that the PPQ was not an ideal first pistol so it skewed my decision.
Forgot to also mention the bottom left of the bevertail on the VP9 seemed to dig into my thumb knuckle a bit but not sure if that was my grip. It slopes downward just a bit.

I have to tell you the PPQ lead me to the P 99 which I like better. So check out the P 99 also.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
That would be a deal killer for me. I like guns that do not bite.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Personally, as a first pistol, you might find the PPQ trigger a little too 'sensitive', and as I own both PPQ and VP9, I can say PPQ has more muzzle flip than VP9 (as do others I let shoot both at the range)...YMMV, can't go 'wrong' with either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
User name says it all.The PPQ M1 is my only gun, so far Love everything except the cheap sights Going to get TFX Pros installed
I think you will love this firearm I Do!

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
PPQ as a first gun? Sure! Why not?

It operates similarly to most of the other polymer striker fired pistols out there.

It's easy to field strip and clean. It's an easy gun to shoot well.

It will spoil you though. The PPQ series just seems a little more refined compared to most of the others.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The PPQ is like all the best models that everyone offers but better. It is reliable, accurate, has the best trigger on the market and it will fit your hand better than the others. Walther is really leading the market in regards to ergonomics and comfort.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Congrats on your purchase !
My first was a PPQ M2 9mm 5". Initially, I did commit some double taps, but more practice eliminated that. Since then, I've installed an Apex flat trigger & don't even double tap that.
Followed up with a PPQ 45, then a couple of CZ 75s (75B Omega & a 75D PCR).
Enjoy !

1 - 20 of 22 Posts