Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new here, first post! I searched but couldn't find this question answered:

When the SC came out, Walther made it clear you had to use SC mags because the lighter slide required a stouter mag spring.

If you want to own both a PPQ and a PPQ SC, both in Mod 2, can you achieve interchangeability by simply using the stronger springs in all your mags? OR will that mess up the PPQ's feeding?

Or perhaps Walther has come up with a solution that makes more sense than what they started out with.

Thank you! If this is answered elsewhere please pass along a link.

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
Hello MG. So, which 'stronger' springs do you anticipate using? The PPQ SC's springs are for a short, 10 round mag. The PPQ uses a longer, 15 round mag and longer spring. So, that kinda rules out using the SC springs in a full size mag.

I checked gunsprings.com to see if they carried an 'extra power' mag spring for the PPQ. They don't carry anything for the PPQ.

So, if you want to try a stronger spring in your PPQ 15 round mags, you might be able to experiment with running PPQ 17 round mag springs in your 15 round mags. Will that work? I don't have a clue.

As I recall, some posters have had success with running 'stock' PPQ mags in their SC. You might want to give that a try before you go on a wild goose chase. Of course, some people like the chase. :D

·
Registered
844 Posts
Danny, I think that he is talking about the 15 round mag that comes with the SC, which includes a sleeve.

I have run stock M2 mags through my SC, and Danny (imanoldfart) ran some Beretta mags that he modded through my SC without any failures. That being said I would only use them as range use, for a spare carry mag, I would use an SC mag with a sleeve. The biggest issue seems to be hitting the mag and or over seating the mag. The cycling issue is not one that I have experienced.

Kirby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes there are 15rd springs for the SC; my question is could you create mags compatible with full size AND sc if you use the stronger spring?

It would seem so, but I'd appreciate confirmation.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The problem is, I cannot tell which spring to get. Add to the fact that if you were to build a dedicated SC mag from a M2 mag, you would want a sleeve and then you might as well buy a new extended mag...

The mags are made by Mecgar, and speaking to them at NRAAM in Dallas last year, they really didn’t seem interesting in telling me which spring they used...

So to answer what Danny said.. go and use a standard M2 mag for range use. But for carry, you are better off using the dedicated SC extended mag. (The biggest reason has nothing to do with the spring and cycles rates, but in a firefight when you grab your spare mag, you are going to shove that mag in there as hard and as fast as you can, having a modded mag may cause you an issue when you REALLY don’t want to have one.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Mr Junge. . I was hoping to have the sort of interchangeability of G19s accepting G17 mags. I have had 19s for years, and generally accumulated far more 17 mags as "spares."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts