Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using XS Big Dots on their PPQ? If so what do you think of them as an option? I am older and not looking for bullseye sights.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is anyone using XS Big Dots on their PPQ? If so what do you think of them as an option? I am older and not looking for bullseye sights.
I put them on and couldn't figure out how to use them. I followed the instructions but was still unsatisfied with the results. They sounded really cool in the ad's but they didn't work out for me. They're now in the junk box with whatever - - -

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crap. I was hoping for a good review for them. Were the ones you used for a PPQ or was it for another firearm?

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I have the Ashley Express F8 sights on one of my PPQ SCs.

I know they are not exactly what you were asking about but they are close.

You get a big old watermelon of a front sight inside a more traditional rear notch.

They are very visible, even for aging eyes like mine.

I see them as a reasonable compromise between the express big dots and traditional notch and post.

I never could get used to the big dots I had on other pistols but I found the F8s easy to transition to with pretty much the same benefits.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys.
I left a private message for Tom. Not sure how it works. Having said that I asked if he was interested in selling his Big Dots if theyare not to badly damaged from putting them on and then removing them. Let me know.

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
Here you go...at least I think this is it.
Don't forget he said he was using them on an SC.

Reactions: Jimmo952

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info about Ashley Sights. I did not realize it was part of XS sights. I thought it was a company by itself "Ashley Sights"..My bad.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use an XS big dot on my Beretta Pico. I like them better than the traditional 3 dots that come with it. The build quality is tops. The front sight is real easy to pick up. I bought them to use for a concealed carry micro pistol and they serve that purpose well. They are far less snaggy than the factory sights.

As far as accuracy... Once you figure out how to 'dot the i' and get a little practice in you can definitely get bullseyes. With that said, they are not 'target' sights by any means. For defensive purposes though they are great at making that front sight pop out quickly.

I'm not quite sure how that would translate to a PPQ but they'd probably be easier to use than the ones on a 2.7 inch .380ACP

·
Registered
22 Posts
I go with TruGlo TFX Pros.
I love the fiber optics in daytime and night sight combination.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I made the mistake of putting them on two guns, Ruger LC9S and HK P7. I shoot low with both now. IF, I concentrate hard I can bring up the pattern with the P7, too much to ask on the LC9S. I wish I had just installed something brighter on each.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wharf_Rat..what sort of sight picture are you using? Do you use a 6 o'clock hold or do you cover the target.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Thanks for the info guys.
I left a private message for Tom. Not sure how it works. Having said that I asked if he was interested in selling his Big Dots if theyare not to badly damaged from putting them on and then removing them. Let me know.
[/QUOTE

Ian, I have a set of XS F8 style big dot night sights that came off my PPQ M2 last week. They a factory installed option. After shooting the gun a couple times I decided to go to a more conventional target style fiber optic sight rather than the combat style big dot. I sent my slide to Dawson and had them remove the XS sights and install a set of Dawsons for me. I got everything back yesterday. So... if you want my XS sights let me know. $60 seems like a fair price if you're interested. About half of what they list for.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the offer. However I am going to pass. Reasons being that they are not adjustable and also probably do not install the way the PPQ sights do (slot on side) which I believe is a great option. Your price was fair But I do not believe I would be satisfied with them because of the aforementioned thoughts on them. Also from what I have read they point different than the Big Dots. I very much like the concept of covering my target at close range as opposed to putting it at the top of the sight. Thanks again

John

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Thanks for the offer. However I am going to pass. Reasons being that they are not adjustable and also probably do not install the way the PPQ sights do (slot on side) which I believe is a great option. Your price was fair But I do not believe I would be satisfied with them because of the aforementioned thoughts on them. Also from what I have read they point different than the Big Dots. I very much like the concept of covering my target at close range as opposed to putting it at the top of the sight. Thanks again

John

No problem John. I understand. I didn't care for the combat style XS big dot sight picture. I prefer a conventional target style sight on a range gun. My new Dawson fiber optic sights aren't adjustable either and I wish they were. They are great otherwise though. Clear and bright. I haven't shot the gun with them yet. I'm hoping that the POA is also the POI at 15 yards or so. If it's high or low Dawson will send me a taller or shorter front sight no charge. If the windage is off a little there's not much I can do about it. Thanks for getting back to me.

Sam

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
Dawson rear sight is adjustable for windage. Loosen the allen screw and tap the sight left or right, tighten the allen screw.....go shoot it. If you're grouping to the left, move the rear sight to the right.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts