Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anticipating arrival of a 5" PPQ in the next few days. Anybody have strong feeling about ammunition that works best from a standpoint of accuracy. Going to use the gun in service pistol matches so ammo must be FMJ. My P5 seems to like 147 gr and I would like to use either 124 or 147 with the PPQ. May try to get some Norma Match but any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Anticipating arrival of a 5" PPQ in the next few days. Anybody have strong feeling about ammunition that works best from a standpoint of accuracy. Going to use the gun in service pistol matches so ammo must be FMJ. My P5 seems to like 147 gr and I would like to use either 124 or 147 with the PPQ. May try to get some Norma Match but any suggestions are welcome.
I ran extensive testing on my Q5, when I first got it. I shot many brands and weights of ammunition off a pistol rest at 25 yards and the tightest groups came with AE 124 grain FMJ. 115 grain group sizes were totally unacceptable and 147 were almost as good as the 124. I use AE 124 grain exclusively in matches instead of 147 as the 124 doesn't need as much holdover for longer shots as does the 147.

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ran extensive testing on my Q5, when I first got it. I shot many brands and weights of ammunition off a pistol rest at 25 yards and the tightest groups came with AE 124 grain FMJ. 115 grain group sizes were totally unacceptable and 147 were almost as good as the 124. I use AE 124 grain exclusively in matches instead of 147 as the 124 doesn't need as much holdover for longer shots as does the 147.
Thanks for the info. Just picked up the gun today. Got some 124 and 147 Speer and picked up cheap Winchester 115. Dealer didn't have any American Eagle but I will probably make it a point to pick some up.

Luckily, gun arrived same day as the UM Tactical red dot mount so I can try them out at the same time.

Checked the test target when I picked it up and it showed one ragged hole from 15 meters so I am really looking forward to trying it out.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tend to go with Lawman 124gr or S&B 124gr. Whichever I can find at a better price.
Just checked my supply from a while ago that I bought for my P5. Got 100 rds of AE 147, 150 rds of Speer Lawman 147, 40 ads of Federal 147 gr Hydra Shok, and 20 ads of Magtech Gold 124 gr. With the 100 115gr Winchester I bought today, I should be able to get started.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Winchester 124gr NATO.

While I have a ton of 115gr of various manufacturers, I shoot mostly 124gr. During the great ammo shortage a few years ago, I picked up a lot of Freedom Munitions reloads. I like it.

If you plan to compete regularly, consider reloading so you can match the ammo to your pistol and better control consistency.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I generally use 124...any of these brands have proven flawless over literally tens of thousands of rounds. Buy by the case, it's very economical...

S&B, Fiocchi, Geco, Lawman, Blazer Brass, Federal AE, Win NATO

·
Registered
978 Posts
Keep in mind that different brands of the same weight will shoot to different points of aim. Dial your gun in with whatever ammo gives you the tightest groups and stick with it. In my case and I tried dozens, AE 124 gave me the tightest groups in my Q5.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I totally agree. American Eagle 124 is a decent starting point for the start. If you are using it for home defence, hot 147 grain for short, close work, making sure with testing into water jugs that it expands fully from 10 yards.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would never pre conceive a brand or weight for serious match shooting, till at least a minimum breakin period. I just finished my 450 round break in today. It shot everything from Tula steel case to Underwood match. It shot everything very well without a hiccup. Too early to tell. but it seems to shoot tighter already. It could be me getting use to the grip. I use the left side and rear medium grip plates and a small right side plate to get on the grip and trigger better on. I am going to log info after 500 rounds. I will use the standard sheet with 5 targets, mark the groups, and then start narrowing it down. So far if there is a winner, it’s Underwood, known for theit tight tolerances on everything they do. It has been the most consistent so far. My stghts are lined up left almost 3-4 inches and a tad low. once I start getting the round out I will center the sites. So far it has me thinking it’s money well spent. Tomorrow I am taking out a rest so I can get an idea on if I want to change the sites. I put my Crimson Trace green dot laser on it lined up with the sites, and now i have an idea how the pistol moves as I shoot it.A Laser is a great training tool.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
"I use the left side and rear medium grip plates and a small right side plate to get on the grip and trigger better."

Could you post a pic of the left and right side grip plates?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I run 124 NATO loads (or Magtech/S&B, followed by Speer and American Eagle if buying commercial loads) for practice in all my 9mm pistols. For social use, at the moment I'm running 147 HST because I have a ton of it. Next time I'm buying, I'll probably go back to 124+P.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This sounds very VP9-ish
Ha Ha lol. Gettin old. Sorry wrong log info. Not for Q5. Should have stated that. I actually like the HK grip a bit better, but the Q5 trigger and trigger reach with the large strap is great. Thanks for pointing that out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts