Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fired 100 rounds through the PPQ 45 once before when I first bought it 4/2017. I cannot say for sure if I fired my reloads through the gun the first time. But it is what I usually do. This time I was using my reloads and I fired 29 rounds and 2 times it misfired and then the slide would not pull back. It was jammed really tight. I pulled for several minutes and hit the back of the slide with my palm and it finally fired. The second time I showed it to a range worker and he had to pull many times to finally release it. I then bought some factory rounds from the range and fired 30 rounds with no trouble at all. I think the slide is not going forward all the way but far enough to allow release of the firing pin with the trigger. Then being a double action only, the trigger needs to be reset by pulling the slide back, but it jams so the slide will not go back. But it does seem my reloads may be the cause, but I'm still not sure. At home I removed the barrel and put all my left over reloads, 71, into the barrel by hand. They all seem to fit properly without any tightness. I sent for an after market slide spring mainly for testing purposes. I have been reloading for over 15 years and almost never have problems with my reloads. I had some .45 round once that were just slightly too long for one of my pistols, but worked great in another one. I do not make "custom" reloads and do not load "hot" rounds.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Might compare the base diameter of the reloads with new factory rounds. Chamber dimensions may be allowing a slight bulge to form in firing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
They are not expanding because they are not firing. My theory is the slide does not return all the way and I pull the trigger and the firing pin is too far away from the shell to fire. Then the trigger will not reset, it's double action only, and the slide jams and I cannot pull it back. That is the one mystery, why does the slide jam when the round is still un-fired?

·
Premium Member
13,798 Posts
Well, if your reloads are messin' up and factory ammo runs fine, it seems to be a problem with your ammo. Whoop out your handi dandi measuring apparatus and compare all the dimensions of your ammo against the factory stuff. I'm wondering if your overall length may be a little on the long side.

And, next time your firing your reloads, ALWAYS look at the rear of the slide, making sure its even with the frame prior to pulling the trigger. If a PPQ is a little out of battery and the trigger is pulled, in most cases you're going to have a 'click' and no bang. So, for now, always check to make sure the slide is in battery before you pull the trigger.

Or, just shoot factory ammo. 😁

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had an over all length problem with my FNH .45 but they were within specs from the loading book. They worked fine in my Springfield 1911. FN feed ramp just different I guess. The ones in the PPQ were all within loading specs and I dropped them all into the barrel after I removed it from the gun, and none of them had a feeding problem. Have to wait to get the replacement spring and go from there. Using the FN for my "house" gun now. Won't have one that doesn't feed anything I put in it for protection. Had trouble with another Walther a few years ago. Not my lucky gun I guess.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
To date my Q45 has eaten every factory ammo I've given it. The only failure I've had have been those I've deliberately created for training purposes.

I'm rather inclined to agree with fart that the trouble is in your reloads. The fact that there is an issue should cause you to look carefully at your procedures. I'm not saying there is an issue there, but there could be...it is something to think about.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What type of bullet are you using in your reloads? I've had cases where my handloads with a 200 grain lead SWC would be a little too long for the throat of some of my pistols and the bullet would jam into the rifling leade and produce the exact same symptoms that you are experiencing. The bullet jammed into the rifling lead would prevent the slide from completely closing, and the bullet being jammed tightly into the rifling leade makes it very difficult to pull the cartridge from the chamber and open the slide...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts