Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My PPQ 45 rides in a leather pancake OWB or Kydex IWB, I carry two spare mags in poly holders. Between pistol, mags, knife, pepper spray and other tools (I live/work in bear country), my "loadout" (wife's term) is heavy. I'm pretty fit, 6'1 with 33" waist, thick torso/small muffin top (wife's fault!). I wear a 1.5" thick Filson saddle leather belt and Dickies "Perry" belt hook style braces/suspenders under my shirt. The suspenders have three attachment points, one in back, two in front. I don't want to wear a bulky combat or duty belt rig, but what I'm using isn't great, especially when running, which is every day. Suggestions on an under clothing suspender type or alternatives? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
First off, while that's a lot of gear, I wouldn't say it's necessarily overdoing it or anything. You're doing well to make sure you have your OC spray and knife bases covered instead of just the gun and mags. Got any medical gear? That's about all I could possibly say is missing, sounds like a solid EDC if it all works for you.

On that point, I think my first suggestion would be trying a different belt. While that Filson is a good belt, I'm sure, and would work for some gun-carrying uses, for what you're doing a dedicated nylon gun belt may work better. I'd suggest looking at Blue Alpha Gear. I know it's not directly doing more to keep your pants up, but a rigid belt just distributes weight better. The nylon belts are also infinitely adjustable, which lets you dial in the tightness to "just perfect" for comfort and security.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I really like my Kore gun belt for IWB carry where people will see the front of my belt, but I personally wouldn't recommend their leather belts for OWB carry of a heavy lode like the OP. They aren't as rigid as either a traditional leather gun belt or a heavy duty nylon one. I don't have any experience with Kore's nylon, it may be up to the task.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Erich I'm not following you. Do you have the Kore fashion belt?? They carry two lines fashion and gun. You sure you have the one with the rigid insert/gun belt?? Ive run a AIWB clinger holster p99c w/ 1 15rd extra mag, AND Comptac international OWB 5"PPQ w/ 3 mags AND. pocket carry BORIIA holster w/KELTEC p32 at once at my outdoor range while running and gunning.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have two of Kore's Gun Belts (black and brown). They do work well with my OWB leather pancake holsters. OWB Kydex holsters with closed loop style attachments don't work well for me. The belts are just too thin to secure those well.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I do have the gun belt. It's a good belt, but it's not as rigid and strong as other gun belts, and for the OP's uses I think the most rigid belt that is practically possible is at least part of the solution. I think it works great for IWB, and maybe for OWB depending on what you're asking it to handle and your expectations, but I prefer something more substantial for OWB. Even carrying AIWB, nylon belts like my Blue Alphas are more supportive than the Kore gun belt. I'm not saying the Kore is bad, it's just not all the way at the rigid end of the spectrum, and so it may work better for some applications and worse for others.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys, thanks for the suggestions! Rigid nylon belt helped tremendously!!!! I ended up going with a 5:11 Tactical SB rigid nylon belt and semi stretching "tactical suspenders". I like the look of the Kore belt and may order one as a backup to my Filson. Not exact pic of braces, but generally same. Basically old skool shoulder rig, sans holster. Night and day! Oh BTW, my EDC includes work supplied Blue Force or TacMed lv 2 trauma kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Erich-Excellent point! EMS/AFA is often neglected! I a retired medic, so I'm undressed without a solid field med kit! My EDC includes work supplied Blue Force or TacMed lv 2 trauma kit. QUOTE=ErichBaumer;1179196]First off, while that's a lot of gear, I wouldn't say it's necessarily overdoing it or anything. You're doing well to make sure you have your OC spray and knife bases covered instead of just the gun and mags. Got any medical gear? That's about all I could possibly say is missing, sounds like a solid EDC if it all works for you.

On that point, I think my first suggestion would be trying a different belt. While that Filson is a good belt, I'm sure, and would work for some gun-carrying uses, for what you're doing a dedicated nylon gun belt may work better. I'd suggest looking at Blue Alpha Gear. I know it's not directly doing more to keep your pants up, but a rigid belt just distributes weight better. The nylon belts are also infinitely adjustable, which lets you dial in the tightness to "just perfect" for comfort and security.[/QUOTE]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts