Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I picked up a PPQ .45 SD. Cleaned and oiled it up good. I took it to the range for the first time putting 150 rounds of 230gr through it. Several empties hit me in the face while others flew 10ft. About 20 brass kisses on the slide. This seems strange to me considering I have never had a brass kiss on my PPS. Seemed to be ejecting very inconsistent. I had 3 jams total using american eagle ammo. After the range I again cleaned and oiled it up good and checked everything out. Nothing out of the ordinary besides all of the brass kisses. Yesterday I put another 150 rounds of Federal 230gr thinking my gun did not like the ammo. Same thing. I counted 3 jams. Every time it is a failure to eject. Never once has it failed to load one in the chamber. This is pretty upsetting considering all the good things I have heard about this gun. I have put over 2000 rounds through my pps without one issue. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hi,

Regarding the brass kisses, that is normal and has been discussed on this forum many times. All my pistols have them, including the PPS M1. They can be removed with cleaners and some manual labor :D

The ejected shells going different places and the jams may be due to an inconsistent grip. The easiest and quickest check would be to let someone else shoot it. I have a PPQ 45 and have not had the issues you describe (usually shooting Blazer Brass 230gr or S&B 230gr). I would also say that the recoil from the 45 is a bit different from a 9mm, especially if you are used to a smaller pistol like the PPS.

A few other things you could look at:

Does it jam on both mags or only one?

Can you see that the extractor is moving as it should and the claw is intact?

Does a round fall into, and out of the barrel freely, i.e. no binding at all?

Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Regarding the brass kisses, that is normal and has been discussed on this forum many times. All my pistols have them, including the PPS M1. They can be removed with cleaners and some manual labor :D

The ejected shells going different places and the jams may be due to an inconsistent grip. The easiest and quickest check would be to let someone else shoot it. I have a PPQ 45 and have not had the issues you describe (usually shooting Blazer Brass 230gr or S&B 230gr). I would also say that the recoil from the 45 is a bit different from a 9mm, especially if you are used to a smaller pistol like the PPS.

A few other things you could look at:

Does it jam on both mags or only one?

Can you see that the extractor is moving as it should and the claw is intact?

Does a round fall into, and out of the barrel freely, i.e. no binding at all?

Dave
I understand the brass kisses are "normal" to some. I've never owned a pistol that has them but to each their own. I also thought maybe my grip is causing it but i'm not really sure what to change. The gun fits great in my hand and I shoot it like anything else. I ordered a lone wolf compensator when I ordered the gun and now i'm worried this will make the issue worse.

·
Registered
500 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked at the extractor last night and it looked fine. I'm still going to pull it apart and take a closer look. If all checks out i'm just going to put a couple hundred rounds through it and see what happens. If i find an actual issue or it continues I will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I looked at the extractor last night and it looked fine. I'm still going to pull it apart and take a closer look. If all checks out i'm just going to put a couple hundred rounds through it and see what happens. If i find an actual issue or it continues I will keep you guys posted.
Something is definitely wrong with it and it’s just not going to go away. PPQ’s run like sewing machines my 9mm’s and .40 have never malfunctioned and I try to induce malfunctions by running them super dirty. They both have 1000’s of rounds through them. That’s why when my new Q45 started giving me issues I knew something was wrong with it, just like yours is experiencing.
If it doesn’t run like a Swiss watch from day one, something is up.

Keep us posted, I’m curious as well as others. Take a picture of it when it malfunctions.

·
Super Moderator
14,377 Posts
^^^^^Yep, what he said. AND, pull out the extractor, clean it up and take some nice, perfectly focused pictures and post em' so we can oogle em'.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys will do. I do have another question. What grip will cause it not to cycle correctly? To loose or to firm? This is my first .45.

·
Registered
465 Posts
To loose...there are a few threads here w linked YouTube videos for proper grip. I would have someone else shoot your PPQ. Good luck!

·
Registered
145 Posts
dropshot,

DO NOT install the lone wolf compensator until you have the current issue solved. It may add confusion to the problem you are trying to solve.

How firm to grip? Try tightening until your hands start to tremble, you are now gripping too tight. Then loosen your grip until thay stop trembling, that will be a good starting point.

Another hint: buy a box of Winchester White Box 124 grain NATO rounds, or a brand name +P type. If that works well, shoot another box to get the recoil spring broken in better.

PS: The brass marks do clean off, but it's work. You may soon just decide to ignore them. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dropshot,

DO NOT install the lone wolf compensator until you have the current issue solved. It may add confusion to the problem you are trying to solve.

How firm to grip? Try tightening until your hands start to tremble, you are now gripping too tight. Then loosen your grip until thay stop trembling, that will be a good starting point.

Another hint: buy a box of Winchester White Box 124 grain NATO rounds, or a brand name +P type. If that works well, shoot another box to get the recoil spring broken in better.

PS: The brass marks do clean off, but it's work. You may soon just decide to ignore them. :)
Thanks for the advice. I will try a box of +p. As much as I want to put the comp on I know I need to get this figured out first.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Just keep a firm grip with both hands, and try to keep a consistent grip on all of the shots from the first round and through all of the rounds in the magazine. This requires some amount of concentration while you are shooting.

Try both magazines too. If it is still an issue, let someone else shoot it.

Keep us posted !

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks again for all of your help. Guess this was shooter error. Went to the range tonight and really tightened up my grip. I shot 150 rounds with no problems. Then I put the lone wolf compensator on and shot another 150 rounds with no issues. If anyone is considering lone wolf go for it. I can't believe how much of a difference it made. I am not a good shot but had no problem burning a hole in the bullseye out at 10 yards. It really helped with muzzel flip. This ppq puts quite the smile on my face.

·
Premium Member
8,674 Posts
drop
when your round start hitting you in the face again reassess your grip as you might have loosened your wrists slightly.
The Q45 should stand you in good stead. Properly used and cared for it is an awesome and accurate firearm.

It has been my EDC for more than 3 years. I trust my life and that of my family and/or partners to it daily.

Here is a rapid fire target from last May. These are 2 to 4 round strings at 15 to 55 feet with a draw stroke from my Wright Regulator holster:

The only additions on my Q are a BT guide Rod and TFX Pro sights.

Reactions: dropshot

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thanks again for all of your help. Guess this was shooter error. Went to the range tonight and really tightened up my grip. I shot 150 rounds with no problems. Then I put the lone wolf compensator on and shot another 150 rounds with no issues. If anyone is considering lone wolf go for it. I can't believe how much of a difference it made. I am not a good shot but had no problem burning a hole in the bullseye out at 10 yards. It really helped with muzzel flip. This ppq puts quite the smile on my face.
Super! Glad that worked out.

The only down side is the cost of .45 vs 9mm :D

·
Premium Member
8,674 Posts
But the fun of shooting those big fat slow rounds more than makes up for the expense.

Besides, "Bigger holes let the bad out faster"...olsouls' words to live by!

Reactions: dropshot
1 - 20 of 21 Posts