Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m not hearing much about this gun, except for the recoil being snappy. Should I get this or another 9mm?

I currently have the PPQ SC and I want something bigger with a threaded barrel

·
Registered
274 Posts
Since you can get bigger with a threaded barrel in 9mm as well, I guess it comes down to why you might want a .45.

For sport and range use, 9mm has distinct advantages. For more serious purposes, the .45 would be the choice. And yes, a .45 will recoil more than a 9mm of the same weight, laws of physics and such apply.

There's an old saying in racing that there is no replacement for displacement.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The PPQ .45 is a great shooter. Only downside is slightly higher cost of ammo. The .45 is slightly larger than the 9mm, if that matters. But 12+1 in a .45 is pretty nice.

Maybe a bit more felt recoil, but I’ve heard it compared to a “push” whereas the 9mm is more of an impulse. I don’t find it to be overly snappy.

D

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
Recoil is extremely subjective. I don't find the Q45 troublesome in the least. In fact I find it comes back on target quickly with little effort.
Those big fat slow 45 rounds are fun to shoot and I think you'll find the Q in 45 ACP is easily as accurate as a Q9.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I’m not hearing much about this gun, except for the recoil being snappy. Should I get this or another 9mm?

I currently have the PPQ SC and I want something bigger with a threaded barrel
I went through the same thing only in reverse a few months ago. I wanted a Q5 Match. I already have several high capacity .45s, but I never owned a 9MM. So I chose the 9MM.

I pretty much agree with all the comments so far. For me getting back down on target with a .45 is second nature. Since the Q5 is primarily a target weapon I opted for the 9. I put a Vortex Venom on it and it is unbelievably accurate. I have no reason to believe the .45 wouldn't be as well.

For the record, I prefer to carry .45s for SD and would opt for a .40 before I would a 9MM, but ammo has come a long way and after doing some experimenting with treated 4x4 posts and 124 gr. Federal HSTs I can attest that a 9MM is certainly a viable carry weapon. And 17+1 is pretty awesome.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’m not hearing much about this gun, except for the recoil being snappy.
Ahhh you, like me watched all the YouTube videos that talk about a high bore axis and how the Q45 flips sooo bad.

I didnt listen to any of that and took it to the range with my buddy without telling him I had the 45. He shot it and I asked how he thought my PPQ handled 45. He'd shot my 9 plenty of other times but didnt realize he was shooting 45. So in a blind test he didnt even notice.

The Q45 shoots great. Theres no more flip or recoil or whatever than a 1911. The pistol is barely bigger than the 9mm brother and I'll take that with the ergos and "high bore axis" over any of those other doublestack 45s.

45 is naturally subsonic. If you're intention is a suppressor with subsonic ammo you'll spend probably close to the same if you're not a reloader and have to buy the heavy 9mm. You also are less likely to have to tune springs to make it work with non standard loads as the standard loads will be what you shoot

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I’m not hearing much about this gun, except for the recoil being snappy.
Ahhh you, like me watched all the YouTube videos that talk about a high bore axis and how the Q45 flips sooo bad.

I didnt listen to any of that and took it to the range with my buddy without telling him I had the 45. He shot it and I asked how he thought my PPQ handled 45. He'd shot my 9 plenty of other times but didnt realize he was shooting 45. So in a blind test he didnt even notice.

The Q45 shoots great. Theres no more flip or recoil or whatever than a 1911. The pistol is barely bigger than the 9mm brother and I'll take that with the ergos and "high bore axis" over any of those other doublestack 45s.

45 is naturally subsonic. If you're intention is a suppressor with subsonic ammo you'll spend probably close to the same if you're not a reloader and have to buy the heavy 9mm. You also are less likely to have to tune springs to make it work with non standard loads as the standard loads will be what you shoot
That’s exactly what I did. I looked at all of the videos on YouTube bc I’m so obsessed with it. I’m definitely going to get it but that price tag makes me second guess if it’s really gonna be what I’d like.
I am looking for a suppressor but buying one is a long process.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I like everything PPQ, but I really enjoy shooting my suppressor ready Q45. The larger caliper round does have some thump to it I won't BS you but I honestly shoot it damn near as good as my 9mm version. Once you get over the recoil, it's a dream to shoot. Install some Talon Grips on it, makes a huge difference.

Once you do buy it, do yourself a favor and shoot the Q45 and 9mm back to back. Than report back to us and let EVERYONE know the 9mm isn't snappy at all.;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’m definitely going to get it but that price tag makes me second guess if it’s really gonna be what I’d like.
I'm not sure what it is about a lot of the toobers that love everything about the PPQ (9 or 45 for that matter) but the "high bore axis" kills it for them... are we really that worried about it? They always shoot them well, love the ergos, love the trigger and never complain about the awesome quality but dammit, if the bore were just 3.4mm lower to the gun we could replace all our plastic bricks with spongy triggers. If we were all competition shooters, I'm sure that bullseyeing 5 rounds in 1.2 seconds would be much easier with a lower bore axis. If we were all competition shooters, there'd probably be one pistol on the market and everyone would be using only that, and I don't like that either...

I'd think the PPQ45 with a TB would still be one of the cheaper factory threaded options. You wont regret it, it really is a great shooter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here's a picture for size comparison of the 9 vs 45, but the PPQ9 in the pic is the 5".
Just mentally, chop off the extra 1" at the muzzle. The 45 is a little beefier in most areas. Longer grip.
I feel the 45 has more recoil, but for me, it's not objectionable. I love them both.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m definitely going to get it but that price tag makes me second guess if it’s really gonna be what I’d like.
I'm not sure what it is about a lot of the toobers that love everything about the PPQ (9 or 45 for that matter) but the "high bore axis" kills it for them... are we really that worried about it? They always shoot them well, love the ergos, love the trigger and never complain about the awesome quality but dammit, if the bore were just 3.4mm lower to the gun we could replace all our plastic bricks with spongy triggers. If we were all competition shooters, I'm sure that bullseyeing 5 rounds in 1.2 seconds would be much easier with a lower bore axis. If we were all competition shooters, there'd probably be one pistol on the market and everyone would be using only that, and I don't like that either...

I'd think the PPQ45 with a TB would still be one of the cheaper factory threaded options. You wont regret it, it really is a great shooter.
Lol exactly, they all were making it sound like the bore axis was such a big deal and that’s what was bringing me down bc I would honestly love to have nothing but Walther’s for the start of my little collection. After I get my CCL in the mail my bank account is gonna hate me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's a picture for size comparison of the 9 vs 45, but the PPQ9 in the pic is the 5".
Just mentally, chop off the extra 1" at the muzzle. The 45 is a little beefier in most areas. Longer grip.
I feel the 45 has more recoil, but for me, it's not objectionable. I love them both.
Nice dude the 45 looks dramatically different in grip size, more than I thought.

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
Damon it really isn't that much of a difference in grip size. I am a one handed shooter and tend to notice things like that a tad bit more than most.

Unless you have very small hands you shouldn't have any issues with this frame. Yes it is a bit wider but not to the point that one can't get a comfortable and secure hold on the weapon and your finger will rest comfortably on the trigger without any reach.

As to the length you won't notice that with a good holster and carry position.

Reactions: goforbroke2

·
Premium Member
13,867 Posts
Yes, the PPQ 45 is slightly larger than the PPQ 9/40.....but I have to emphasize 'slightly'.

I remember the first time I ever saw a PPQ 45....it was at a gun range south of Fort Worth. The Walther boys were there with a table full of pistols. I walked up to the table, looked around and said 'did you bring the 45'? He grinned and pointed to one of the pistols....I couldn't believe how close in size it was to its little brothers. True story.

I use a rubber grip sleeve on my 45, and my hands are certainly not big. The size/girth of the grip is certainly not anything to worry about. If you were blindfolded and someone put a PPQ 9mm in your hand, then removed it and put a PPQ 45 in your hand, you'd probably have a really hard time identifying which was which.

Here's mine in a Dara holster.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Snappy?

Hi All,

I wouldn't say its snappy, I actually think its quite a soft. Its a hella Big Bang, for sure, but snappy, no, it is more of a "push" as someone else said.

You should try to rent one...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All of you have been a big help. This WILL be the next gun I buy. Gonna rent it first though because I can’t buy it right now.

·
Registered
113 Posts
...if the bore were just 3.4mm lower...
that would not change anything.

The tales of the "lower fling at the lower barrel" are just Internet tales from the damn dumb people.
Do not take it personally.

There is no direct relationship.
The magnitude of the fling depends on the magnitude of the torque.
The numerical definition of torque is the product of force value on the shoulder of the application of force.
Force is the inertia of the slide, the reaction of the return spring, etc.
Shoulder of force, this is the distance from the force vector to the theoretical point of rotation of the gun.
The greater the force (mass and speed of moving parts, spring stiffness) and distance, the greater the torque.

Try shooting from Browning 1900. Despite the anemic cartridge and the low barrel, You will be surprised by the fling.

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
All of you have been a big help. This WILL be the next gun I buy. Gonna rent it first though because I can’t buy it right now.
You are going to enjoy the heck out of that Q45. When you finally get it be sure to give us a range report.

Reactions: Jimmo952

·
Registered
58 Posts
Best shooting poly 45 out there...

I have the PPQ 45 and the PPQ 9...Apples to apples, HST 9mm 147 gr and HST 230 gr, the 9 has almost no recoil (it is my only 9), the 45 does have some recoil but it is so natural, the gun rises and quickly comes back down to the original spot, I think it has to do with the magic grip shape. Extremely well balanced.

One poster above indicated it shoots on par with his 1911's, I would say very, very, close to my semi-custom 1911's, if I ever change the stock sights out it would be right there.

So it comes down to which caliber you prefer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts