Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a video on YouTube of a guy using Remington RP45 15 round mags in his PPQ.

Anyone else given this a go? Curious about the mag to gun fit. Doesn’t show this in the videos.

·
Premium Member
13,536 Posts
Don't know anything about the Remington RP45 15 round mags. I use the base plate and spring from a FNX 45 Tactical.....the base plate does require some modding. Gives me 14 rounds and looks factory.

I may have to pick up one of those Remington mags and see what I think. I expect I'd have to make a spacer to slide down the mag, much like the sleeve used on a P99C, to ensure the magazine doesn't smack the ejector when inserted.

My 45 in a Dara holster with the aforementioned base plate.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Someone wrote on The Magshack site:

"15 roung mags for my Walther PPQ
These Remington RP 45 15 round 45 acp mags fit perfectly into my Walther PPQ 45 and will add 25% more round capacity than the best Walther magazine! Very happy!!!!! :)))"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is this April Fool's? Sounds too good to be true!

If my luck keeps up like this next thing I know ya'll will be telling me they make the PPQ 45 in AS trigger configuration with M1 paddles

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
I believe this is the video referred to. The mag does have the Remington "R" on the bottom and the shooter does fire 15 rounds.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For anyone else interested, you can see what it looks like much better at the 0:10 mark in the following video.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Received my Rem rp45 mag's today and have been measuring and comparing them to my original PPQ mag. Results are as follows:

The Rem mags do indeed hold 15 rounds although the last round requires increased downward pressure to load.

Both Rem and PPQ mags are virtually identical in height, width and depth.

The PPQ mag has a slant of approx. 20 degrees from left to right on the front of the mag. This appears to be of no consequence to loading, insertion into the mag well or mag release.

The clearance between the top of Rem mag and the ejector is identical to the PPQ mag. The rim of the round is also exactly the same distance.

After inserting the Rem mag and cycling the slide the operation using my HST ammo is identical to the PPQ mag.

The Rem mag release slots are .1" higher than the PPQ. This variance places upward pressure on the mag release ears necessitating a slight downward pull on the bottom of the mag to extract it.

I have not been to the range yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Chandler,

Thanks for taking the time to post your findings. Very excited about rolling with 3 extra rounds.

I bet the mags might drop free with a few swipes of a jewelers file.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
The Rem mag release slots are .1" higher than the PPQ. This variance places upward pressure on the mag release ears necessitating a slight downward pull on the bottom of the mag to extract it.

I have not been to the range yet.
Made a couple mods to the mag release and follower to eliminate the issue of mags not completely releasing. Discovered that when the Rem mag is fully loaded to 15 rounds it will not completely insert lock into position with a chambered round.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
I need to amend my prior post in which I stated the Rem and PPQ mags were equal in measurements. Just revisited those measurements for a second time and discovered the Rem mag is 4mm taller. That explains why the 15 round mag can not be fully inserted with the slide in battery....the slide must be locked back to fully insert. That also explains why the shooter in the posted video fires only 15 rounds each time and not 16. The result is a gain of 2 rounds....not three.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's not unusual for a full mag to not seat on a closed slide. You simply need to whack it with some authority.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
It's not unusual for a full mag to not seat on a closed slide. You simply need to whack it with some authority.
I wouldn't recommend doing that in this case. Those 4mm mean that with a full mag and a closed slide the top round is forced against the bottom of the breech lug and the mag spring is fully compressed. When you chamber the first round there is sufficient spring space to force the remaining 14 rounds down just enough for the mag to lock correctly.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Only if you want +1 (14+1, 15+1, whatever+1). My 15 round PPQ M2 mags all do this in my 4" and 5" (as do my M&Ps, Sigs, HK). Open slide, easy clicks right in. Closed slide, demand respect!

On certain handgun/mag combos, I've seen the pressure exerted by the top round on the stripper interfere with cycling the chambered round. Usually firing the chambered one has enough force to overcome any friction. Hand cycling is a bear.

Now, I don't have a PPQ .45 let alone any Rem mags. There may be issues specific to that combo. My point is that the symptom is pretty common. How someone chooses to address depends on the details. My PPQs are primarily range guns (and amazing at that), so I only load them locked open slide.

YMMV

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Only if you want +1 (14+1, 15+1, whatever+1). My 15 round PPQ M2 mags all do this in my 4" and 5" (as do my M&Ps, Sigs, HK). Open slide, easy clicks right in. Closed slide, demand respect!

On certain handgun/mag combos, I've seen the pressure exerted by the top round on the stripper interfere with cycling the chambered round. Usually firing the chambered one has enough force to overcome any friction. Hand cycling is a bear.

Now, I don't have a PPQ .45 let alone any Rem mags. There may be issues specific to that combo. My point is that the symptom is pretty common. How someone chooses to address depends on the details. My PPQs are primarily range guns (and amazing at that), so I only load them locked open slide.
I'm describing only the PPQ 45 when using the Remington rp45 magazine. I believe you are describing conditions using factory mags matched to their respective model.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Just returned from range with following results shooting PPQ 45 using the Rem rp45 magazines. Loaded one with 15 rounds of Federal 230gr HST +P and 230gr FMJ. Had 2 identical malfunctions using HST ammo and no malfunctions with FMJ.

Both malfunctions developed with one HST live round chambered and a second round pulled forward from the magazine and pressing against the chambered round. I suppose this could be the result of a loose grip however being conscious of that possibility with the first jam I focused more on a strong grip. Needless to say that did not prove successful because the second jam occurred on the second shot following the 1st jam. If it was grip related I would have expected a jam with the FMJ because I accelerated the rate of fire and experienced zero malfunctions. I have fired the same HST using the Walther factory mags with no issues.

Arriving home I immediately began testing the Rem mags manually as I had done previously. While manually racking and sling-shotting the slide fails to duplicate firing a round every round of both HST and FMJ ejected without incident. I also compared angle of inclination of the top round and found them to be equal. Then I compared inclination of the top round between the factory mag and the Rem mag.....again found them to be equivalent. One variation was in length of each round. The FMJ was 30mm while the HST measured 32mm. Not sure that lends to the malfunction but I am trying to include all possible variables. One variable I am unable to test with any accuracy is speed of slide cycle between the two rounds caused by the +P HST vs standard FMJ.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts