Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and read about 7 pages of threads and gained some information but not totally what I'm looking for so I decided to post my first thread.

I have decided that I'm going to buy a PPQ of some variation very soon. Actually as soon as I can choose which one so I am hoping you good folks can offer your opinions and knowledge.

I have only shot IDPA a couple times but I may start shooting it more. I have shot a steel challenge a couple times also.

I carry a S&W Shield OWB.

At the range and when I shot the aforementioned events I shoot a 1911 in 9MM.

Given that background I'm interested in how the three stack up in:

1. felt recoil
2. carry ability
3. performance in competition
4. balance in the hand
5. shooting differences between 5" and Q5

I have thought I would by a PPQ 4" to replace my Shield as a carry gun but I wonder if I will carry it or will it be larger than I am used to with my Shield. If I did buy it I could be true to the heart of IDPA and shoot my carry gun.

Then I thought if I ended up not carrying it and I end up back with my Shield, I may as well get the 5" and have the extra 1" of barrel to possibly improve the sight picture and reduce muzzle flip/felt recoil.

Then in my research I came across the Q5. I can buy it for $100 more than the standard 5" model. And since adding Dawson FO sights would be $80 and buying the third mag would be around $30 I would be better off to buy the Q5.

Looking forward to your input!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Really depends on what function you want to use it for.
You can easily compare the size specs online of your Shield and the PPQ
I Thought I would use the PPQ SC for summer carry but, the PPQ is smaller than the Sig I have been carrying. I have the Q5 w/Vortex for match shooting. That red dot is wonderful for these old eyes.
I can tell you the grip and trigger on all 3 are so close that I can't find a difference.
There is a noticeable balance difference with the SC compared to Q5 & PPQ (4") which feel very close

You'll enjoy whichever way you go.
Regis

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think you've answered some of your own questions, but I'll add some comments below. I don't have a Q5 so my knowledge is limited on that one. In general, if you're planning to do IDPA, or similar, then I would go with the 5" for the larger sight radius. If you plan on someday getting into optics, then the Q5 for sure. For carry, then the 4" would get the nod.

>>> Given that background I'm interested in how the three stack up in:

>>> 1. felt recoil

I'm assuming that all of these would be 9mm. I don't notice much difference from the 4" to the 5" in terms of recoil. I usually shoot 124gr. at the range and the recoil is pretty tame. Maybe a bit less flip with the 5". Don't forget, you could go with the .45 :D

>>> 2. carry ability

I would go with the 4", but really the 5" isn't much different. OldFart could tell you more on how he conceals all of his PPQs. As mentioned, there are also the new PPQ SC model and the P99c for some other carry options. And PPS too.

>>> 3. performance in competition

As above, the 5" or the Q5 would be my bet.

>>> 4. balance in the hand

Not much difference to me.

>>> 5. shooting differences between 5" and Q5

I haven't shot a Q5 so can't say. I do like the Walther front sight on the 5" (fiber). I had tried Dawson sights a couple of years ago and I like the Walther better as the front fiber is larger diameter. I have thought about swapping the Walther rear sight for something else but haven't done it yet. If you plan to get into optics then the Q5 is the obvious choice. On my 4" and .45 I am happy with TruGlo TFX-Pros. There's also some newer sights being discussed on this forum that look interesting - Speedsights.

Not sure where you are located but you might be able to find a range and rent a 4" and 5" PPQ.

Good luck,
Dave

·
Registered
263 Posts
You get 500 dollars of upgrades for 100 buy the q5 match.
Also why people write the q5 off for serious use is beyond me, mine has run incredibly reliably for upward of 7k rounds now. It has slide cuts whoa! The gun is every bit as viable for serious use as any other full size duty weapon don't let a blue trigger convince you otherwise

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have the Match and the Q5" and they might as well be identical twins as far as accuracy, trigger and sight picture is concerned. There is no difference in recoil or trigger reset or pull. The latter two are identical. I just removed the Vortex from my Match and will use the irons when I go to the WA State IDPA Match in August. After 1K rounds of practice with the Optic I still shoot faster and as accurately using irons over the slower Optic sights. With more practice I am sure the sight acquisition times will improve but for now the Optic is significantly slower for me.

We don't carry up here so I can't comment as to your concerns in that area. If I lived where I thought I needed to be armed I would be buying a gun specific for that purpose ie your shield and for playing the games a competition gun ie the Match or Q5".

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
263 Posts
As a side note I just picked up a q4 tac for sub 600 from ngoa, if you don't want to go through joining a private member club (they are awesome though highly recommended) grab a gun has it for about 600 shipped 4.6 inch threaded barrel vs 5 inch ubthreaded on standard, extra recoil spring, 3 magazines and 2 plus 2 baseplate, the amazing sights and optic plates for the same price as the standard 5.
https://grabagun.com/walther-ppq-m2-q4-tac-9mm-4-6-thrd-17rd.html

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ok, so since you have stated that when you carry, you carry OWB, so conceal ability is not a high concern for you.
Go 5 inch. The oh so slight difference in weight is by far outmeasured by the increased sight radius, better accuracy and higher velocities and better internal powder burn given by the extra length of barrel and slide. Which will benefit you in competition.
After that it comes down to price and the deal. I'd say go with what gives you the most bang for ur buck, with whatever (if any) modifications you plan to add to the pistol.
I say that, cuz the differences between the two are marginal, as far as performance, and no difference in reliability.
One deciding factor might be if you want paddle release or not. I can't remember at me moment if Q5 comes with m1 as an option.
There is also another thread, related to sights, with a lot of comments about slide interchangeability that might be of interest, and may help you decide.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I have many thousands of rounds through my Q5. I would never carry it though. Too big and really no point. I have better options. That’s not to say that it couldn’t be done...it’s just that in a self defensive situation there is no aiming...just point and shoot from the waist.

IMO...the Q5 is a great game gun. It’s piss ass accurate. I fired it all winter in league and had the top score for 13 straight weeks. But in an SD situation my shots will be at close range.....not 75 ft.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have many thousands of rounds through my Q5. I would never carry it though. Too big and really no point. I have better options. That’s not to say that it couldn’t be done...it’s just that in a self defensive situation there is no aiming...just point and shoot from the waist.

IMO...the Q5 is a great game gun. It’s piss ass accurate. I fired it all winter in league and had the top score for 13 straight weeks. But in an SD situation my shots will be at close range.....not 75 ft.
IWB I would definitely agree. I'm a compact kinda guy. If the heat turned up, I wouldn't wanna have to pull 5 inches outta my pants.
*smirk*

Even OWB, that does make for a somewhat long draw, to clear the holster. And for ME, who's gotten used to short barrels, I'D probly snag the end of the barrel on the pull, til I got used to extra amount of gun.

Also agree, from the waist, and point and pull.

Third agreement, while the 5's CAN serve as duty guns, IF the user doesn't have any issues as far as how easy that trigger is built to shoot, there is definitely other pistols that were made for carry, and serve the purpose better, than a pistol built as a game gun.
I would however say that I wouldnt have any doubts about any PPQ not handling the situation, regardless of what it was.

·
Premium Member
13,808 Posts
Carrying IWB/OWB is a very personal thing....what works for one person may not work for another, BUT, I used to carry (concealed) IWB....now I find myself carrying more OWB....(open carry). I also don't care for little pistols with abbreviated grips....I carry full size pistols....usually 4" PPQ's, however I can also carry a 5" Q, just as easy/comfortably....also carry a Sig P226.

I've got more than one each of PPQ M2 5 inchers as well as more than one PPQ Q5. THESE are the same pistols....same basic parts. Most importantly, the triggers parts are identical, other than the 'blue' slick coating on the Q5's trigger bar and the blue trigger. Both triggers can be improved (smoothed) with a 10 minute trigger job....described elsewhere on this forum.

The Q5 comes with a lightened slide and is already milled to accept an optic. Personally, with old eyes and a condition referred to as CSS, I find it easier to use a red dot optic. I've got a few optics on various pistols, including Delta Point Pro, Vortex Viper and a Shield RMS. My current favorite is the Shield.

As to your 5 comparison questions.

1. felt recoil - Too close to call.
2. carry ability - The way I carry, there's no difference.
3. performance in competition - I don't shoot competition...but can't imagine any appreciable difference.
4. balance in the hand - Too close to call.
5. shooting differences between 5" and Q5. - None that I can tell. Or, too close to call.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for the input! A lot of good points made and very helpful to me.

As far as carry, though I carry OWB, I do try to be as concealed as possible. I don't really want others to know I have a gun on my hip so I will stick with my Shield for now and if I end up really liking the Walther platform I could sell my Shield and buy a PPS or a PPQ SC.

So it looks like I'll go with a dedicated range gun and let the carry gun work itself out with time.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Carrying IWB/OWB is a very personal thing....what works for one person may not work for another, BUT, I used to carry (concealed) IWB....now I find myself carrying more OWB....(open carry). I also don't care for little pistols with abbreviated grips....I carry full size pistols....usually 4" PPQ's, however I can also carry a 5" Q, just as easy/comfortably....also carry a Sig P226.

I've got more than one each of PPQ M2 5 inchers as well as more than one PPQ Q5. THESE are the same pistols....same basic parts. Most importantly, the triggers parts are identical, other than the 'blue' slick coating on the Q5's trigger bar and the blue trigger. Both triggers can be improved (smoothed) with a 10 minute trigger job....described elsewhere on this forum.

The Q5 comes with a lightened slide and is already milled to accept an optic. Personally, with old eyes and a condition referred to as CSS, I find it easier to use a red dot optic. I've got a few optics on various pistols, including Delta Point Pro, Vortex Viper and a Shield RMS. My current favorite is the Shield.

As to your 5 comparison questions.

1. felt recoil - Too close to call.
2. carry ability - The way I carry, there's no difference.
3. performance in competition - I don't shoot competition...but can't imagine any appreciable difference.
4. balance in the hand - Too close to call.
5. shooting differences between 5" and Q5. - None that I can tell. Or, too close to call.
Ditto these comments.

If you want a 5” with a milled slide, Q5. Otherwise, they are basically the same

1 - 13 of 13 Posts