Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Yes, it IS dangerous. It is like sitting under a sword, hanging on a flimsy nail.
I suppose this could be said about any polymer striker fired pistol that does not have a manual thumb safety.

Arguing trigger weights is like arguing just how flimsy that nail is, keeping in mind that the nail will not fail, unless you put your finger on it. Some people will be negligent with a pistol with an 8# trigger, and some people will be safe with a pistol a 5# trigger.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I suppose this could be said about any polymer striker fired pistol that does not have a manual thumb safety.
Not really - just the ones that are fully cocked. The partially cocked pistols like Glock claim not to store enough energy to fire the primer.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Not really - just the ones that are fully cocked. The partially cocked pistols like Glock claim not to store enough energy to fire the primer.
I didn't know you were speaking about mechanical failures.

In that case I'd argue that at least two parts would need to be broken, missing, or malfunctioning on a PPQ, at the same time, in order for the pistol to fire unintentionally due to a mechanical issue.

Compared to more commonly carried pistols, like say, a series 70 1911, where all it would take is one parts failure (sear) to cause a discharge, I'd say the PPQ is a pretty safe design. Or at least, safe enough.

That being said, on a thread like this where people are advocating internal changes to the design, to include lighter springs, I'd say the mechanical safety depends on what changes were made.

·
Registered
269 Posts
In that case I'd argue that at least two parts would need to be broken, missing, or malfunctioning on a PPQ, at the same time, in order for the pistol to fire unintentionally due to a mechanical issue.
Good point. Somehow I don't think of FPB as an effective safety feature. :) Don't know why.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The trigger of the PPQ is dangerous only to those with poor trigger habits.

If there should be a mechanical failure that releases the striker of the PPQ without the trigger being pressed, the PPQ cannot fire. It has a striker block that will keep the striker from hitting the primer.

Sear engagement plays a more important role than pull weight in the prevention of the striker slipping the sear due to mechanical failure or from rough handling, such as when the pistol is dropped. The PPQ has a good amount of sear engagement.

I'd like to find a way to set the trigger break of the PPQ from 4.5 to 5.5 lbs without increasing the weight of the first stage

·
Registered
10 Posts
My spring finally came in today and I installed in the 5" PPQ. Dropped the trigger pull from around 4.5 lb. to 3.25 lb. Just dry firing at home the reset felt a little less forceful. I don't want to say spongy, just different and surely less pressure on your finger to reset.

Took the stock 4" and the 5" to the range and shot them side by side. In slow fire the trigger on the 5" was SWEET, but you definitely noticed the reset difference between the two (still a much better trigger than my modded G34). Once I started shooting rapid fire drills that feeling went away and I'm really happy with the new trigger on my competition gun. I would NOT go that light on a carry gun... especially with the PPQ trigger.

I'm at about 3.5 lb on both my XDM and my G34 and this new setup feels WAY lighter than either due to the lack of creep at the break. I'd say the PPQ with this trigger is very slightly better than the XDM 5.25 with the PRP Trigger. Much better than my G34 with Zanek trigger.

I'll say that this is a nice mod for a competition gun if you just really want the lighter trigger. However, I still find that I shoot the 4" with stock trigger very very close to the same as I shoot the 5" PPQ with Stainless guide rod and the lighter trigger. I'm probably just a little more accurate with the 5" on target transitions, but I think I could start competing with either one and be quite happy.

·
Premium Member
13,494 Posts
Just an update on my modded 5" Q .40 S&W with Apex trigger and Lanzer's lighter trs (as well as a few other mods, outlined in previous post). I've got just shy of 500 rounds thru this pistol, and NO malfunctions of any kind. I've measured the trigger numerous times, and it's a consistent 2.5 lbs.....SWEET.

Just the other day, I'd went to the range, shooting the modded 5" as well as a PPQ M1 4" .40 S&W with stock trigger....still testing the reliability of the 5" and testing a new set of Dawson sights on the 4".

On the way out, I stopped to talk to one of the sales guys, who also owns a PPQ. I showed him the 5" with Apex trigger....safety checked, removed mag and let him try the trigger. He held er' out there and began to squeeze....or maybe he was just thinking about squeezing.....and 'click'....he immediately turned his head to look at me with a grin on his face and I said 'it fooled you didn't it'.....he said 'yes'. Then he began to dry fire it a few more times....his name wasn't Mikey, but 'he liked it'.

I have to say, it really is sweet...just wish I could run this trigger package on ALL my Q's.

·
Premium Member
13,494 Posts
Another update. My Jarvis, ported barrel arrived along with my Dawson rear sight with .115 gap. I promptly put the sight on, actually, it took quite a bit of filing and fitting to get it to fit.....but i got er'. Replaced the stock barrel with the Jarvis, ported barrel and headed to the range.

Well, the .115 gap rear sight works great at the house, providing a nice tight sight picture...just a little air on either side of the .125 front sight. But at the range, in the dimmer lighting and the colored target, I couldn't see squat.....maybe it was partly due to my 'not worth a poop' eye sight and my shooting glasses, which are ground with mono vision. I'm going to try another combination of sights and see if it helps.

The Jarvis barrel seems to make the 40 shoot like a 9. Me likes.

Oh, and the trigger is still awesome....and Zero malfunctions of any kind.

·
Premium Member
13,494 Posts
Yes, I'm bad. I just picked up a PPQ 5" 9mm this afternoon from a forum member. Got er' home and spent about 45 minutes putting the Apex trigger in as well as all the other tweaks/mods I'd done to its 40 caliber brother. Trigger is measuring a consistent 2.75 lbs....and that's brand new, never been fired. Now I'm just waiting on Turul to whoop up some rear sights with a vertical line. :D

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts

Well, the .115 gap rear sight works great at the house, providing a nice tight sight picture...just a little air on either side of the .125 front sight. But at the range, in the dimmer lighting and the colored target, I couldn't see squat.......
This is why I have taken to opening up the slot in rear sights so I see plenty of air on both sides. I am less interested in academically tight groups carried out to two decimal places than with the prospect of hitting minute-of-man targets under less than favorable light.

M

·
Premium Member
13,494 Posts
I understand what you're saying. My main focus (seems funny using that word) is on a sight system geared mainly for target shooting. At this point, I'm really liking the 'dot the I' concept. I had a gunsmith put a vertical groove in one of my Meprolight rear sights. I use that grooved rear sight with an Ameriglo front sight on my HD pistols and a Dawson Precision FO front sight on my target shooters. The small tube FO sight is literally like putting the 'dot' on the 'I'....the width of the groove in the rear sight winds up being the same perceived width as the FO tube in the front sight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
sodemann spring on ppq 45?

I tried this spring in my ppq 9 and like it a lot. Has anyone tried it in the ppq 45?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The trigger of the PPQ is dangerous only to those with poor trigger habits.
Agreed, especially for those of use who enjoy the PPQ at the range, modding just bring pure joy.

Sear engagement plays a more important role than pull weight in the prevention of the striker slipping the sear due to mechanical failure or from rough handling, such as when the pistol is dropped. The PPQ has a good amount of sear engagement.
Not only that, the PPQ has a patented sear group in which its sear isn't part of the striker itself. Even a lightened or modded sear on the PPQ has less effect to compromise its safety, unlike conventional striker fired pistols.

More info here

I'd like to find a way to set the trigger break of the PPQ from 4.5 to 5.5 lbs without increasing the weight of the first stage
The torsion spring in the picture below (label #6) is what governs the weight of the break. You can stretch it out a bit, or buy one with a thicker gauge to get what you want. Sorry I didn't get a chance to measure the dimension of that spring.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Another update. My Jarvis, ported barrel arrived along with my Dawson rear sight with .115 gap. I promptly put the sight on, actually, it took quite a bit of filing and fitting to get it to fit.....but i got er'. Replaced the stock barrel with the Jarvis, ported barrel and headed to the range.
Reading your updates always put a smile on my face. :)

Extremely interested about the ported barrel also. The one from Jarvis is longer than factory length to provide the porting is that correct? I know it's hard to describe in words, but how much recoil reduction did you experience?

·
Premium Member
13,494 Posts
Hee, hee.....yep, its hard to give a definitive answer on the recoil/muzzle rise reduction. Yes, I opted to NOT have the original barrel ported and went with the Jarvis....and thought, well, why not get an extended barrel and let em' port that.

All I can tell you, is my daughter can shoot my M2 5" 40 and NOT complain....actually, its her favorite gun to shoot....or it was until she shot my M2 5" 9mm with threaded barrel and muzzle break. As for me, I can definitely feel the difference. Its not earth shattering, but yeah, the results are less muzzle rise and less recoil.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Lanzer,

I appreciate your posts, they'r one of the main reasons I read this forum. Based on your experience if I wanted to go the other direction to, say, a 6.5 or 7.5 lb trigger pull what spring(s) would you recommend I try?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Following from Lanzers web page:
Question-I am a new PPQ owner and would like to increase the trigger pull.
Answer(lanzer)-Something thicker than 0.22″ would be 0.24″ and 0.26″. I suggest trying these two and see which one you like. Sorry I have no idea what are the resulting load from these springs:

Search stock number
Search stock number

Please let me know how they work out for you!

I have ordered both the springs mentioned above and will post my results. May be a while... Sodeman is located in Denmark!

Using rated force specification and simple (VERY simple) proportions, my SWAG is the 24 spring will be about 5.8# and the 26 spring will be about 7#.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

·
Premium Member
13,494 Posts
Wanted to report that I just picked up another PPQ M2 5" 9mm....slightly used, looks almost new. Within an hour of arriving at the house from picking it up, I had completed my 25 cent trigger job, including replacing the stock trigger return spring with Lanzer's lighter replacement, as well as installing one of my 'signature' AmeriGlo front sights, paired with a Turul rear sight.

The 25 cent trigger job is pretty easy and does not require removing the trigger bar....I've developed a method to smooth out the two most critical areas on the trigger bar without removal. Also removed the FPB and did a little cleanup on the ramp where it contacts the trigger bar. Apply a few drops of oil in the necessary places, reassemble slide and check trigger pull. It's hard to believe....its absolutely as smooth as butter....and light too. The Lyman digital trigger gauge shows a 3 Lb. 6 to 12 ounce pull at the break.

The pistol is laying in my lap....I just picked it up and pulled the trigger a few more times....simply awesomely smooth.....and 3.5 Lb. break....couldn't be happier.

Did I mention, this puppy came with an extra Jarvis threaded barrel?:D

21 - 40 of 189 Posts