Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a PPQ 22. I already have PPQ's in 9MM & 45. I shoot quite a bit, and love shooting both of them. Problem is, it's getting pretty expensive, but just love shooting those guns. I thought getting the 22 would allow me to shoot a lot, and not break the bank. I've never shot the PPQ in 22, any thoughts if that's a good way to go? Unfortunately I live in a state that only allows me to have max 10 rounds in the gun. I know most 22's only have 10 round magazines, but it would be nice to have the extra 2.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I tend to agree with you but not this time. I’ll be brutally honest, I’m not sure how much the PPQ 22 will help your shooting of other PPQ models. First, other than appearances it is nothing like the others, the trigger is not the same nor are the internal parts the same. So the whole firing process feels different. The sights are similar, so the sight picture is similar which might help. Of course the recoil is not the same, making follow up shots different. Like all 22s it is picky about what brand of ammo it will cycle, stick with high velocity ammo. But my pet peeve about the PPQ 22 is that it is an absolute pain in the backside to reassemble. The return spring is a mile long and requires a tool to keep it from kinking. The tool provided is not much help, I have reverted to stealing chopsticks from the local Chinese restaurant. Spend your money on a nice 22 with a similar grip angle like the Ruger Mark IV 22/45 or the 4” Buckmark Micro URX. Both of these will give many hours of shooting enjoyment without the headache of cursing trying to reassemble the gun after cleaning.

Did I say how much I hate cleaning this gun.:mad:

Okay you’all can flame now.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Never had any issue reassembling my PPQ 22. Didn't need any tools to do it either. If it's difficult, you're doing it wrong.

Anyway, while you operate the 22 the same way as the regular ones, the internals are all different, making the trigger feel very much unlike the regular one. Sights are different too.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a PPQ 22. I already have PPQ's in 9MM & 45. I shoot quite a bit, and love shooting both of them. Problem is, it's getting pretty expensive, but just love shooting those guns. I thought getting the 22 would allow me to shoot a lot, and not break the bank. I've never shot the PPQ in 22, any thoughts if that's a good way to go? Unfortunately I live in a state that only allows me to have max 10 rounds in the gun. I know most 22's only have 10 round magazines, but it would be nice to have the extra 2.
I tried the PPQ 22 at an event at my LGS that Walther was at and really liked shooting it. IMO for what you are looking for it would be a fine choice. I am thinking of getting one for myself. I bought a M&P 22 Compact 22 for the wife and it is a really cool pistol but t bit small for my hands. The PPQ 22 comes very close to the PPQ 9MM in that regard. I am all for anything that makes it easy for someone to put more rounds down range.

Here is a good review on the PPQ 22.

Gun Review: Walther PPQ M2 .22 LR - The Truth About Guns

·
Registered
156 Posts
Never had any issue reassembling my PPQ 22. Didn't need any tools to do it either. If it's difficult, you're doing it wrong.

Anyway, while you operate the 22 the same way as the regular ones, the internals are all different, making the trigger feel very much unlike the regular one. Sights are different too.
Ha, ha ...Told you I’d get flamed. If you ever make it to central Florida, I’ve got an extra PPQ 22 spring under my TV cabinet.:D

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Ha, ha ...Told you I’d get flamed. If you ever make it to central Florida, I’ve got an extra PPQ 22 spring under my TV cabinet.:D
Oh honey... if you think that's flaming, you never asked in IRC for help getting a PCI modem to work on Linux, ca. 1994. :D

·
Registered
190 Posts

Similar to you I have the 5" PPQ's in 9mm, 40sw, and 22LR. Just put the suppressor ready 45ACP PPQ on order this week. I really like my PPQ's...;)
The 22LR version is a great addition to the rest of the family. No adjustable grips like the larger calibers but it feels like the medium size grip to me. Mine is not really picky with ammo either. Reassembly is a little more involved then most 22LR pistols(it's honestly not that difficult) but it's nothing compared to my Ruger Mark II. The fiber optic front sight is a nice added touch, but the rear sight leaves a lot to be desired and there isn't any aftermarket options that are available.

I have a few thousand rounds through mine and it's a solid performer.
Since you're in a magazine restrict state this won't help you but to the others interested in increasing the magazine capacity of your PPQ 22LR.
I've had good success with these 15+1 magazine conversions sold here.
https://www.taylor-tactical-supply.com/walther-ppq-15rd-mag-upgrade-p/ppq-mag-upgrade.htm
Just throwing it out there.
You do lose the pushdown button your thumb rides on to load the mag, but other then that they work good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought a PPQ in .22lr yesterday (impulse buy), its my first Walther product. I think there is a good chance one in 9mm maybe even .45 could follow down the road.

IMO any autoloading .22 will "add to your shooting ability" if you actually get out and use it. The closer it is to your carry gun the better, but being a perfect clone is not needed.

What is needed is you shoot more and shoot more often, which is exactly why I was in the market for a .22 pistol. Why exactly I went with the PPQ I'm not sure.

(This is probably too much info but here gos)
I first picked up the Walther p22 just 2 weeks ago. I had been planning on getting the S&W M&P .22 for around the last 2 yrs. But damn that P22 felt nice in the hand (I also guessed my wife would feel better shooting it than any of my 9mms which she somewhat struggles with their slides (heavy and slick).
I also compared the p22 to the Ruger sr22...Ruger seemed better made, had better sights, had a 2nd mag, but the "backwards" safety was a turn off. (for a range plinker probably not needed)
I kept going back to the p22 as it felt better overall, but so many mixed reviews and cracked slides? I don't know. I decided to avoid the zink slide of the p22.
Watched a few reviews of the PPQ and thought I should at least handle one.

Comparing the PPQ, an M&P and ruger (all .22s) side by side the ruger was the least desirable, the M&P was maybe the best feeling being slimmer....it was a little cheaper, had a frame safety which I like and I really don't know what made me pick the PPQ!

The PPQ sights are sucky IMO (43 yr old eyes) But its overall feel felt like a much more expensive gun. I really liked the big slide stops, nice slide serrations, and it feels good in the hand.

Shot just shy of 300 rds after getting it, had 4 FTF total. When my eyes did their part it grouped very well.

I'll be looking into better sights (actually the reason I just signed up here), or hopefully a red dot for this gun if possible. Also, need more mags.

While the PPQ .22 is not perfect in my eyes, the more I handle it the more I like it. I think it was money well spent.

Oh, the non-captured spring is odd, but a non issue to re-assemble.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a firearms newbie. I learned to shoot in spring 2018 during "NRA Basic Pistol" on father-in-law's Ruger Mark I, which the NRA instructors did not like because the slide did not lock back when empty. Then, I moved to father-in-law's FEG PMK 380 auto for "NRA Personal Protection In The Home" and finally bought myself a used S&W M&P Shield 9 for "NRA Personal Protection Outside The Home", 3 more non-NRA classes, and carry.

My husband laments the cost of the thousands of 9mm rounds I have sent down range since I bought the Shield so Autumn 2018 I bought myself a brand spanking new Walther PPQ 5" 22LR for target shooting. The Walther has only been to the range 3x so far. One night, it failed to extract 3 times within an hour on Federals (1200v,40g) yet less than a week later, it capably handled those same Federals, plus Remington Goldens (1280v, 36g), CCI Mini-Mags (1260v, 36g), Remington Thunderbolts (1255v, 40g), Winchester M22s (1255v, 40g), CCI AR Tacticals (1200v, 40g), Normas (1100v, 40g), and Wildcats (?v, 40g).

While my Shield can be a challenge, the Walther PPQ 5" 22LR is an absolute delight. I don't really have any problems dis/assembling it. And, most importantly, my husband doesn't complain as much when I go to the range and shoot it for an hour or two! :)

Skeet281, I like the PPQ 5" so much in 22LR, I'm thinking about getting it in the 9mm . . .

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am a firearms newbie. I learned to shoot in spring 2018 during "NRA Basic Pistol" on father-in-law's Ruger Mark I, which the NRA instructors did not like because the slide did not lock back when empty. Then, I moved to father-in-law's FEG PMK 380 auto for "NRA Personal Protection In The Home" and finally bought myself a used S&W M&P Shield 9 for "NRA Personal Protection Outside The Home", 3 more non-NRA classes, and carry.

My husband laments the cost of the thousands of 9mm rounds I have sent down range since I bought the Shield so Autumn 2018 I bought myself a brand spanking new Walther PPQ 5" 22LR for target shooting. The Walther has only been to the range 3x so far. One night, it failed to extract 3 times within an hour on Federals (1200v,40g) yet less than a week later, it capably handled those same Federals, plus Remington Goldens (1280v, 36g), CCI Mini-Mags (1260v, 36g), Remington Thunderbolts (1255v, 40g), Winchester M22s (1255v, 40g), CCI AR Tacticals (1200v, 40g), Normas (1100v, 40g), and Wildcats (?v, 40g).

While my Shield can be a challenge, the Walther PPQ 5" 22LR is an absolute delight. I don't really have any problems dis/assembling it. And, most importantly, my husband doesn't complain as much when I go to the range and shoot it for an hour or two! :)

Skeet281, I like the PPQ 5" so much in 22LR, I'm thinking about getting it in the 9mm . . .
Glad to hear the PPQ 22 is working out for you! I've been wanted to pick one up for quite some time now but they're hard to find around here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad to hear the PPQ 22 is working out for you! I've been wanted to pick one up for quite some time now but they're hard to find around here.
There are none around my neck of the woods either. There were a couple 4" but no 5". I went to guns<dot>deals and searched for 5100302. I picked the best deal and had it sent to my local FFL. It was the first gun I ever purchased that way - without physically touching it first - but it was a simple and easy transaction.

I prefer used firearms if I can get them and I certainly prefer to handle them first, but, as you say, this PPQ was nowhere to be found.

·
Registered
103 Posts
There are none around my neck of the woods either. There were a couple 4" but no 5". I went to guns<dot>deals and searched for 5100302. I picked the best deal and had it sent to my local FFL. It was the first gun I ever purchased that way - without physically touching it first - but it was a simple and easy transaction.

I prefer used firearms if I can get them and I certainly prefer to handle them first, but, as you say, this PPQ was nowhere to be found.
I've ordered a couple that way, too. They used to have plenty of them on shelves, of course when I'm ready to buy, they're all sold out. If it goes too long without seeing one I'll order one and have it shipped or see of the LGS can get me one!

·
Registered
491 Posts
OK, so maybe they can make the frame out of aluminum to accommodate a frame, side mounted bracket.
Wouldn't work! You'd have to unscrew the thing every time you took the slide off, because of the way the slide is removed (backwards and upwards).

There are a couple of mounting bridge solutions, but I decided against those for the same reason.

Balor

·
Premium Member
13,792 Posts
Okay...so I guess the mount needs hinge, to allow it to swing 90° to the left. The mount that I use on my Tavor does that.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Theoretically, that could work, but they would have to re-design the frame as the only space for a side-mount on the existing frame is a very small area (less than 1") forward of the take-down tabs.

A better solution for someone looking to use a red dot on a Walther rimfire would be the model SP22, as you can mount a full-length picatinny on top of the slide.

Balor

1 - 20 of 20 Posts