Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three questions, please.

Did the PPQ in .22 ever come in the classic paddle magazine release?
Is the build quality comparable to the center-fire pistols?
Are there any flaws or glitches that I should know about before plunking down $350?

Disclaimer, I have a P22Q that has, knock on wood, been trouble free. If the PPQ .22 is merely a scaled up P22, then I might pass, so any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
That's gonna be a no on your first two questions, and yes on the third.

The .22 was only ever available in M2, button mag release.
It's a flimsy Umarex product with an alloy slide.
And while not as prissy as say a Ruger Standard thru MkIV about ammo, it prefers the hooter high velocity loads for reliable cycling, and requires second strikes on many occasions.
Once it gets good and filthy, and .22s ARE filthy, extraction becomes a problem.

Internally, it has nothing at all to do with the center fire PPQs and resembles a PP series, actually: fixed barrel, hammer fired.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that is what I suspected in every case. I will just stick with my other .22 pistols.

Reactions: don2545

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm not a PPQ expert, but I did purchase a PPQ .22 just last week.

I have about 150 rounds through it so far, and fired 5 different SV and target velocity ammos without a failure - other than not holding the slide open twice.

It doesn't feel like junk to me. It's not completely clear where it's produced, and if it's made by Umarex or not.

The slide is aluminum, as are almost all .22 slides of that type, but it's supposed to be machined from a solid piece and not cast like the P22. It does have steel inserts in wear and impact areas.

It's the only Walther pistol I currently own, so I can't compare it directly to the other PPQ models, but the level of quality doesn't appear low to me. I own pistols from High Standard, S&W, SIG (not a Mosquito), Ruger, Colt, SA, and Taurus, and the quality of the Walther is as good as any of the others.

I got mine at Bud's for $297 delivered for the standard model, so you don't need to spend $350. They are now coming with 2 mags as well.

It's the best of the .22s of that type IMO.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I used $350 as a generic LGS price, figuring that I could find one for less. Thanks for the tip on Bud’s. I will still plan to handle one next week and see how it looks and feels. If built in Ulm, it will be German proofed, which I already knew these are not (i.e., Ft. Smith Umarex). Other than the P22, my current .22 pistols are S&W revolvers, Walther and Manurhin PPs, a Kimber 1911, and a .22 conversion kit for a Swiss SIG P210. So, I don’t need another .22 pistol ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
My PPQ .22 has not experienced a single malfunction over a couple thousand rounds thru it at this point. I haven't fed it any subsonic but every other brand / type of ammo it's been fed has cycled with aplomb.

Everyone's mileage may vary & all that but if I had a do-over I'd buy one again.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks, I used $350 as a generic LGS price, figuring that I could find one for less. Thanks for the tip on Bud’s. I will still plan to handle one next week and see how it looks and feels. If built in Ulm, it will be German proofed, which I already knew these are not (i.e., Ft. Smith Umarex). Other than the P22, my current .22 pistols are S&W revolvers, Walther and Manurhin PPs, a Kimber 1911, and a .22 conversion kit for a Swiss SIG P210. So, I don’t need another .22 pistol ;)
Well, if you don't have a PPQ .22, then you need one (by my thinking anyway...).

Handle one and see what you think of it, but I have been impressed with it so far. It has a very nice, high quality, feel to it.

I own a new Taurus TX22 as well, and like it, but the PPQ is a step up IMO.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I own a new Taurus TX22 as well, and like it, but the PPQ is a step up IMO.
Heh, I got one of these last Friday and call me impressed. It is a much better .22LR "service size" pistol than the M&P 22, M&P 22 Compact and PPQ .22 (4 and 5").

I love mine. Could have better sights, but for the money, a great buy.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Heh, I got one of these last Friday and call me impressed. It is a much better .22LR "service size" pistol than the M&P 22, M&P 22 Compact and PPQ .22 (4 and 5").

I love mine. Could have better sights, but for the money, a great buy.
I was just about to buy a M&P22 Compact when I saw the Taurus TX22. The M&P22 Compact (U.S. made) is reduced size, unlike the "standard" M&P22 (made by Walther), and it just didn't feel right. The standard M&P22 shares the majority of its internal design and function with the PPQ .22, but for me the PPQ is much more attractive.

The PPQ .22 is pretty much the exact same size as the TX22, and slightly heavier. I like the Walther's sights, grip, trigger, magazines, and overall look/feel better than the TX.

In my opinion the TX is better than the P22, but not better than the PPQ .22.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I will still plan to handle one next week and see how it looks and feels. If built in Ulm, it will be German proofed, which I already knew these are not (i.e., Ft. Smith Umarex)
Not sure what you mean by that. So far, no guns have been actually made in Ft Smith, besides the recent PPK/PPK/S assembly. My PPQ .22 was made in Germany, presumably in Arnsberg by Umarex, since it has the Cologne proof mark.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Reactions: GeoNole94 and jkv45

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you already own a P22, I cannot see a reason to spend $300 on, as you say, a scaled up model. Especially while real Ulm guns like the PPS m2’s are selling for less, $250 and $300 for the LE edition respectively. I bought a p22 for my girlfriend, we have thoroughly enjoyed it. Best ammo we’ve found for plinking have been the Remington Golden Bullets. Lots of FTF/FTE with CCI and really any aluminum cased ammo but it’s a fun little pistol. If you want to put some money into a gun, go spend $18 on the upgraded extractor for the P22 to ensure you continue to not have any problems, buy a PPS M2, and still spend less than you would buying a PPQ 22.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My PPQ .22 was made in Germany, presumably in Arnsberg by Umarex, since it has the Cologne proof mark.
I humbly stand corrected. I thought that these were assembled in Ft.Smith from a mix of part sources. Clearly, my brain has FTF and FTE issues. :eek:

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you already own a P22, I cannot see a reason to spend $300 on, as you say, a scaled up model. Especially while real Ulm guns like the PPS m2’s are selling for less, $250 and $300 for the LE edition respectively. I bought a p22 for my girlfriend, we have thoroughly enjoyed it. Best ammo we’ve found for plinking have been the Remington Golden Bullets. Lots of FTF/FTE with CCI and really any aluminum cased ammo but it’s a fun little pistol. If you want to put some money into a gun, go spend $18 on the upgraded extractor for the P22 to ensure you continue to not have any problems, buy a PPS M2, and still spend less than you would buying a PPQ 22.

Just my 2 cents.
Pretty decent logic here.

I own/owned other 22lr handguns.... all worked pretty decently. The major selling point for the PPQ 22 for me was to use a more a of direct stepping stone tool for the Mrs to get over her unjust phobia with centerfire handguns. It looks & feels in the hand pretty much like it's big brother PPQs..... prior to the Mrs having the PPQ 22 selling a step up to a centerfire piece was pretty much an insurmountable mental obstacle. Plus I didn't want an exposed hammer 22 for a number of personal reasons.

ETA: One of the other reasons I like the PPQ 22 option is holsters I already own for the centerfire PPQ stuff works with the .22.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Plus I didn't want an exposed hammer 22 for a number of personal reasons.
Just curious, but why? I own, or have owned, several dozen pistols over the last decade, almost all of which are/were hammer fired. I currently own exactly one striker-fired pistol, a P99 Compact (great pistol), so clearly I am biased.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Pretty decent logic here.

I own/owned other 22lr handguns.... all worked pretty decently. The major selling point for the PPQ 22 for me was to use a more a of direct stepping stone tool for the Mrs to get over her unjust phobia with centerfire handguns. It looks & feels in the hand pretty much like it's big brother PPQs..... prior to the Mrs having the PPQ 22 selling a step up to a centerfire piece was pretty much an insurmountable mental obstacle. Plus I didn't want an exposed hammer 22 for a number of personal reasons.
If I was looking for a 9mm (I'm not), the 9mm PPQ M2 would be my choice based on my impression of the .22. The 9 is better in many ways than the 22, but has the same overall feel.

I've fired a 9mm M&P Shield, and as much as I like my M&P45 Compact, didn't care for the Shield. Compact and sub-compact XDs are slightly better.

The size and design of the 9mm PPQ M2 is just about right for a 9mm in my mind, not too big and not too small.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just curious, but why? I own, or have owned, several dozen pistols over the last decade, almost all of which are/were hammer fired. I currently own exactly one striker-fired pistol, a P99 Compact (great pistol), so clearly I am biased.
Mainly for personal preference, definitely nothing 'wrong' with an exposed hammer firearm. Aside from the 1911 platform everything handgun wise I own is striker or internal-hammer, I like it like that. This fact also dovetails over to the Mrs & makes things simpler for her as well... The way she looks at guns (as a relative newbie, an exposed hammer for her would just complicate things.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If I was looking for a 9mm (I'm not), the 9mm PPQ M2 would be my choice based on my impression of the .22. The 9 is better in many ways than the 22, but has the same overall feel.

I've fired a 9mm M&P Shield, and as much as I like my M&P45 Compact, didn't care for the Shield. Compact and sub-compact XDs are slightly better.

The size and design of the 9mm PPQ M2 is just about right for a 9mm in my mind, not too big and not too small.
Other than the cheap plastic sights, I absolutely love the PPQ line.

For EDC purposes I absolutely love the PPS M2.... I believe it's a highly underrated choice. I've owned a couple of XDs in the past & the PPS is a far better EDC choice IMO (at least for me).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just purchased one with the 5" slide. I like it a lot. I like the frame size and the feel in the hand. It does not have the same trigger as the perfect PPQ .45 or near perfect .40 5" slide. But it is fairly good for a hammer fired gun. I only use copper plated standard velocity. I only fire 200 rounds of ammo before cleaning. My only gripe is that the magazine is weird. It is like a double stack, but not quite, and feeding rounds is a bit clumsy. This one is a keeper for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts