Walther Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hmm, curious - I am seeing exactly this, but with CCI standard velocity rounds. Was wondering what's going on.

That said, I just dropped one spent empty shell (with a bulge) in, which of course didn't drop all the way due to bulge, then pulled the trigger. While hammer did drop, striker didn't hit the cartridge, so some sort of safety feature must have kicked in.

On a related matter, I just had a failure to fire, repeatedly (over 3 cartridges until I gave up). All cartridges that failed to fire didn't have any striker marks on them at all. I looked at the drop safety catch and it *might* have been in a way for these hits somehow (???), as its bottom corner looked like it may have been hit. I never dropped the gun, so that couldn't have been the cause.

The gun was dirty (probably after ~400-500 rounds fired over ~4 weeks), so it might have been that, but immediately before these failures to fire it worked just fine (it happened in the middle of a comp).

Update: looks like the firing pin spring (part #28) broke, as the pin is not returning all the way back. Oh, well - off to the dealer to get it fixed! I shot probably ~3000 rounds since new, but still, wasn't expecting this!
I have some CCI Standard Velocity brass that I hadn't yet recycled that I just dug out that had been fired with my PPQ .22. Same issue with those as with the Mini-Mags. Don't know what the problem is but I got an email from Walther that says they received the pistol, so that's the first step.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I received the pistol back from Walther today. According to the paperwork in the box:

"INSTALLED & FIT PART(S) LISTED
TESTED OPS AT RANGE AT 100%"

The only part listed was:

PPQ .22 BARREL 4 INCH

Visual inspection confirms the barrel change, and the rear sight was definitely adjusted to the right. I'll report back once I have a chance to take it to the range.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
For anyone that might still be interested, I was able to take the PPQ .22 to the range. The spent brass looks normal, no signs of bulging (CCI Mini Mags). It looks like the replacement barrel solved the issue!

I only shot about 75 rounds through it so far, but it has been reliable. A few hundred more rounds and I'll call it good.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Good to hear that the issues have been resolved (from the sound of it).

You must have gotten a bad one. I had mine out the other night and shot about 200 rounds (100 ea Federal AutoMatch bulk and CCI SV) without a failure of any kind.

We did recently have issues with some other Federal failing to extract, but after cleaning the chamber and barrel and lubing the gun it hasn't reappeared. I'm going to run it a while now without cleaning to see how long it will go without any issues. The only other problem we had was running Eley match ammo, where the slide didn't stay open after the last round, but that's to be somewhat expected with a lighter target round.

CCI SV is what I run in it mostly, and it's at almost 100% with it.

Overall the PPQ is my favorite .22 pistol of its type.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Good to hear that the issues have been resolved (from the sound of it).

You must have gotten a bad one. I had mine out the other night and shot about 200 rounds (100 ea Federal AutoMatch bulk and CCI CS) without a failure of any kind.

We did recently have issues with some other Federal failing to extract, but after cleaning the chamber and barrel and lubing the gun it hasn't reappeared. I'm going to run it a while now without cleaning to see how long it will go without any issues. The only other problem we had was running Eley match ammo, where the slide didn't stay open after the last round, but that's to be somewhat expected with a lighter target round.

CCI SV is what I run in it mostly, and it's at almost 100% with it.

Overall the PPQ is my favorite .22 pistol of its type.
Yes, it seems that the issue is resolved, so I'm happy again. I shot another 100 yesterday, with no malfunctions or bulging cases. POI is a little high so I'll have to adjust the rear sight down.

All in all, better sights would be the only thing I would ask for, otherwise I really like the gun, it's a lot of fun to shoot. From a customer service perspective it was well handled, though it's always a hassle to receive a firearm back from a manufacturer. In the past I've been able to have FedEx hold the package at their main facility, and I just go in after work, show my ID and sign for it. This time they said they couldn't do that due to "shipper restrictions." In the end, I had to take the day off and sit home to receive it at my door.

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
For some reason new posts are not showing up for me, so I was unaware this thread was progressing. New barrel.....yep, there was something wrong with the old one. Gun in hand I could have seen it....not so easy over the net unless you post really clear pictures that illustrate the problem. It looked like part of the rear of the barrel was missing ( red arrows) . I think the barrel is inserted into the rear block and sintered, soldered, welded somehow....so, if your barrel was short or something broken/missing that would allow the case to bulge. Glad you got it fixed....dangerous situation.

I had already sent an e-mail to Glenn, head of customer service, to be on the lookout for chamber problems as they were suddenly showing up here.....I expect the P22 and PPQ barrels have a similar origin. Over the past 15 years I've never read of issues along these lines with their .22 barrels.

Regardless of how you clean a pistol.....if the ammo isn't powerful enough to cycle the slide you will have failures to eject due to short stroking. The way semi autos function is pretty simple so if something isn't working...it is usually a pretty easy task to get to the bottom of the issue......usually. 1917

·
Registered
1 Posts
No, stop firing this pistol immediately and call Ft Smith for it to be returned. Even the lowly .22 round develops tremendous pressure and can injure you or others. It can also damage your pistol.

Recently there have been three threads/posts regarding issues will extraction in the P22 new pistols. An unheard of problem in the past was barrel/chamber issues yet, all of these needed to have factory work on the out of spec chamber. So, call Ft. Smith. They will e-mail a shipping label and take care of everything 100% on their dime.

Firing out of battery is a serious issue and most firearms are designed so the that they won't. Either the trigger bar is disconnected, the primer is not aligned with the firing pin, etc. It seems a lot of people don't understand this. If you shove that powerful 1911 into the perp causing the slide to be pressed rearward a bit....you won't be able to fire the pistol. 1917
This thread is the reason I signed up for the forum, and I'm glad I read it. I have nearly the identical problem with bulging cases, although it's not what prompted my internet search...

I bought a PPQ 22 SD (I mostly shoot suppressed) 2 months ago. Started having accuracy problems with a Smith 22 Compact, shot my buddies PPQ 22 and loved it, decided to pick one up so I can still plink in the backyard during quarantine since I have tons of 22 ammo.

First 100 rounds went perfect, mini mags, no issues. Then I installed a Dawson Precision rear blacked out sight after reading the Smith Shield dovetail is the same. Went back out to the backyard range with the suppressor for a test run and the problems started. Constant failure to fires, click no bang. First round fires, gun cycles, loads a live round, nothing. BUT, there is no evidence of the firing pin striking the case. I can load the round back in the chamber, rack the slide, and the same round will fire. However I can never get more than a couple shots off. (standard velocity CCI, to keep it subsonic).

So I took the suppressor off and loaded mini mags, and things go smoothly. This lead me to believe maybe the dawson sight is slightly heavier and I throwing off the recoil spring rate enough to cause a problem. So I remove the rear sight, put it back to the stock rear (ugh). Long story short...no matter what velocity ammo, with or with out the suppressor, the problem remains.

Today, I found this thread, and inspected my cases. Sure enough, almost every case is bulging. Not I'm not sure how the suppressor and ammo is playing a roll, too many variables, but I definitely no the gun isn't safe and needs to be looked at. Here's to hoping Walther will help me out, my wife might bury me outback if I go pick up another 22 plinker (maybe this time I'll try a ruger).

21 - 27 of 27 Posts