Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the pistol 5 weeks ago, but yesterday was my first range trip. Did a quick cleaning to remove excess grease, or apply some oil if needed. Took my new PPQ 22 to the range to start the wear in process.

The only significant issue I had was was in the 75 rounds I shot, I had several unintentional magazine releases. I have three other PPQ center fires and have never had that issue. I think I had that issue with a PPX I had about 3-4 years ago. I called Walther in AR and I recall they sent a replacement spring for the mag release button...can't remember. But that fixed it.

Anyone have that unintentional magazine release with their PPQ 22? I was able to modify my grip to stop the unintended mag releases, but it's an unnatural grip for me, so I do not want to rely on it. I shoot too many pistols to require a unique grip with one. I know I can call Walther and their customer service is very good, but thought I'd ask here first.

Doug

BTW, Mini-Mags functioned 100%. I had two failures to lock back the slide with CCI Standard Velocity. But those stopped after about 40 rounds. Mediocre sights, accuracy is acceptable, trigger is stiff but will likely smooth out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 5” 22 and also a Q5 and I have shot them both quite a bit and have not had that problem with either. It’s a fun gun shoot. Agree with the sight comment. Do the mags on the 22 feel/sound like they are fully locking in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have the 5” 22LR model also, never experienced any unintentional mag releases. The trigger probably won’t smooth out I have 1000-1500 rounds through mine and the trigger feels the same since day one. Fun little plinker, I run mine suppressed without any issues.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks bbstein2 and goforbroke2. I think my PPQ 22 probably has a faulty mag release spring. I'll shoot it again today, and call Walther in Ft Smith if it's still giving me unintentional mag releases. Yes, I am very careful to have the magazine fully insert, and verified before firing. I thought that was the problem the first couple of time it happened. I'm confident Walther will send me a different mag release spring and that will cure the issue. My other PPQs "feel" the same in my hand. I thought the mag release on the PPQ 22 might be somehow different, but I could not feel any difference.

Fun little plinker is correct. I got it mainly to round out my PPQ collection. I've got them in 22 through 45, and they are great pistols. The trigger on the CF PPQs keeps me coming back. I do hope the trigger on the 22 wears in to somewhere are good. I have a PPQ Q5 on order and I know it will be a fantastic pistol. I'll probably put something like a Holosun 507/508 on it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've never had that happen with my standard PPQ22.

I also shoot CCI SV, and have an occasional failure to lock the slide back but not often. I prefer SV to HV in the PPQ.

Fun little gun. One of the best .22s of the type IMO.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never had that happen with my standard PPQ22.

I also shoot CCI SV, and have an occasional failure to lock the slide back but not often. I prefer SV to HV in the PPQ.

Fun little gun. One of the best .22s of the type IMO.
I shot about 75 rounds again today, and the slide dropped free only one out of maybe 12 magazine changes. However, it did something with a third of those magazines....the first round chambered and fired fine, but the ejection was not perfect apparently, and the second round did not feed. Chamber was closed, but nothing in the chamber. So I re-racked the slide, and had no further issues with that mag full. The failure to feed was always on the second round, never the first, never the others. Odd. Those were all CCI SV. The trigger felt a little better today than last time. I probably have 150 rounds through the PPQ 22 now. The rear sight is very poor IMO, and I will like figure out something else to install. Front sight is nice however.

Doug

·
Registered
292 Posts
I shot about 75 rounds again today, and the slide dropped free only one out of maybe 12 magazine changes. However, it did something with a third of those magazines....the first round chambered and fired fine, but the ejection was not perfect apparently, and the second round did not feed. Chamber was closed, but nothing in the chamber. So I re-racked the slide, and had no further issues with that mag full. The failure to feed was always on the second round, never the first, never the others. Odd. Those were all CCI SV. The trigger felt a little better today than last time. I probably have 150 rounds through the PPQ 22 now. The rear sight is very poor IMO, and I will like figure out something else to install. Front sight is nice however.

Doug
Interesting. Always the same mag? Spring tension on that mag the same as the other? Is the follower moving smoothly? Could try some dry lube inside the mag.

Have you cleaned and lube it? Check the chamber for rough spots or lube build-up also.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting. Always the same mag? Spring tension on that mag the same as the other? Is the follower moving smoothly? Could try some dry lube inside the mag.

Have you cleaned and lube itl? Check the chamber for rough spots or lube build-up also.
I need to do all the things you mention with the magazines. I only have two magazines, although both are new with about 75 rounds loaded in each. Unlikely the mags need cleaning or lubrication, but then this is a 22, not a center fire pistol. After my previous range session I ran some patches through the barrel and cleaned the chamber, bolt face and ramp, so it was reasonably clean starting today's session. I'm guessing things like the magazine ejecting unintentionally and the feeding issue will smooth out in another 100 rounds or so. While I have never had such "break in" issues with any Walther center fire pistol, nor other brands I can think of right now, I have had "break in" issues with almost every new 22lr pistol.

But I have got to find a better set of rear sights or maybe a "red dot" sight for it. The iron sight is poor, especially compared to my other new pistol I shot today, a Buck Mark Plus. Those sights are very, very good. :cool:

·
Registered
190 Posts
The rear sight is lackluster but I haven’t upgraded it yet, I’m not a fan of red dots on pistols but we don’t have many choices with this pistol. Plan ordering one of these.

The one upgrade that I did do to this pistol was, a magazine upgrade. I run this kit in all my mags now. They work and feed reliably as the stock guts.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The rear sight is lackluster but I haven’t upgraded it yet, I’m not a fan of red dots on pistols but we don’t have many choices with this pistol. Plan ordering one of these.

The one upgrade that I did do to this pistol was, a magazine upgrade. I run this kit in all my mags now. They work and feed reliably as the stock guts.
Thanks, I have booked marked that sight link. I may give that a price. Inexpensive enough and might work. If you do order and install that sight, please post something here in this thread. I'd like some feedback and maybe a photo is you can; and I know many others share my want!:cool:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks, I have booked marked that sight link. I may give that a price. Inexpensive enough and might work. If you do order and install that sight, please post something here in this thread. I'd like some feedback and maybe a photo is you can; and I know many others share my want!:cool:
I just ordered the sight.....finally. I'll let you guys know how it goes once I receive it.
If it doesn't work out, I'm probably going to end up trying a S&W MP rear sight, apparently they work with a little fitting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts