Walther Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received two “15+2” 9mm M1 magazines that I bought on gunbroker.com One of the vendors sell it with no reserve price and start the auction with 1 penny. The floor plate looks different and has no button. It is a little trickier to take them apart but not a big deal. The spring flew across the room so be careful with it. The steel bodies and followers are absolutely identical. That means even 17 rounder has only 15 witness holes. I did not have a chance to try them at the range so I cannot tell how reliable they feed. I know people having problems with “12+2” .40S&W. If you tried them how was that?

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
I've got one of each, they both gave me a little trouble the first few times I cycled the rounds by hand. A thorough wipe down and dry reassembly and all is well.

I've put about a dozen or so mags' worth through my .40 PPQ using the 12+2 mag only, and it was flawless the entire amount of rounds.
It's my nightstand gun, replete with night sights, and a cheapo wal mart tactical light. (I hope to be able to invest in a Viridian after the new year).

As for the 9mm's 15+2, the few times I've cycled rounds through it by hand, it's always fed properly, but I wiped it down as soon as I got it out of the package. Haven't fired ANY rounds through it...maybe Monday..it's supposed to be in the mid 40's and clear, and I fully intend to put some depletion on my collection of FMJ, through 5 different handguns.

·
Premium Member
8,689 Posts
All my classic factory 15+2 mags have worked perfectly, but I break down all my mags and clean them carefully before I use them. I'm not a huge fan of lubing mags....they become crude magnets, so I wipe them down thoroughly with a silicone cloth before reassembly.

I practice with the 15+2s but don't carry them, they are more for night stand duty...I've run about 5 or 6 hundred rounds through each of my 17 round mags and they are reliable for me...

Good luck with yours......

·
Registered
924 Posts
...they both gave me a little trouble the first few times I cycled the rounds by hand...

As for the 9mm's 15+2, the few times I've cycled rounds through it by hand...

You know that cycling by hand is analogous to pushing your car while in Neutral so determine how it drives(?). Why people insist on this is beyond me. :rolleyes:

The only way to know is to actually shoot the gun. ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Mine came with one of each (Navy)
I recently ordered 3 more of each so I don't have to waste so much time at the range reloading.
I've run about 250 rounds through each (firing, not stroking) with no issues what-so-ever.

I carry with the 15 round mags, the extra 3/4" of the 17 is the difference between concealed and not in my case, which is unfortunate. With my big hands I prefer the 17 round mags for the pinky wrap and ease of on-target reloading.

·
Registered
913 Posts
You know that cycling by hand is analogous to pushing your car while in Neutral so determine how it drives(?). Why people insist on this is beyond me. :rolleyes:

The only way to know is to actually shoot the gun. ;)

Not true.. I bought a brand new S&W last year, got it home, cleaned it and cycled a few snap caps through it. Extractor broke on the 1st mag of caps. Service said it was defective and repaired it for me. Saved me from a bad range day.

My first Walther PPQ had a defective guide rod from the factory which broke after initial cleaning. Iirc I had just put it back together after cleaning and cycled the slide a couple times when it snapped. S&W still had the contract and sent me a replacement and a spare )that I've never had to use).

Since then every semi-auto I've purchased I bring home, clean and cycle a few mags of snap caps through. There are a number of parts that could break by doing this a few times if it has any factory defects. Nothing wrong with cycling by hand on a new firearm or magazine.

OP.. I have a few 17 rounders for my PPQ 9mm and a few of them rattled a bit when new but I've never had any issues with them. Giving them a smack usually fixed the rattle. No rattles or problems at all now with lots of ammo through them. I carry the 15s but have 17s in the car/truck consoles, night tables, etc for that day/night we all hope never comes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts