Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the results of my second outing with my PPKs.

First, the posititives - no jams - well except for one with that friggin mag with the finger rest. Ok, the POS also kept slipping out of the gun on the first shot too. I'm gonna trash that mag.

Now the negatives.

The gun is accurate, but the sights are way, way off. It is grouping low and way to the left. I need to read if these sights can be adjusted at all.

Next, it does seem to be ripping up the web in my hand between the thumb and the fore finger. I wonder if the bever tail needs to be beveled more? Is the stainless steel finish on this guns go all the way thru or is it just a plating?

I pretty much have given up on the mag with the finger rest. It is a shame I already ordered another one of these POS.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I see they are adjustable. Just need to find something that will not mar up the gun:

WINDAGE
To adjust the strike of the bullet left or right on the target, move the rear sight in the same direction you want the bullets to move. The sight is drift adjustable in a dovetail slot. Use a brass punch or drift and a mallet, and adjust it carefully in small moves, test firing the pistol for group placement after each adjustment. If you use a steel punch or hammer directly on your pistol you will mar, deform and damage it.
• To move the point of impact LEFT, move the rear sight LEFT.
• To move the point of impact RIGHT, move the rear sight RIGHT.

ELEVATION
There is no elevation adjustment on the model PPK or PPK/S pistols.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Before you go touching the sights consider this. I'm not trying to be offensive but it's possible that your pulling the gun when your firing.

When I had mine worked over by Cylinder and Slide they sent me the target they used at the range while testing it. It was pretty dead on. When I took it out, and not being used to it yet, it also shot low-left.

I just had to get used to it, that's all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tom,

No offense taken

That is something I did not consider. I was pretty close up - like 15 feet or so. The groups were ok, so the shots where consisent - to the left and a bit low. Pretty sure the sights are off but anything is possble. The back sight does look centered.

Who is Cylider and Slide and why type of work do they do?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, Cylinder and Slide is a custom gun shop located in Fremont, Nebraska and is owned by a man named Bill Laughridge. These guys are legendary and have been for many years.

They can do anything from a simple tweak to build a full race gun if you've got the time and money. Read through the site and anything Bill has to say. He's, if not anyting else, honest about what he beleives in what can or cannot be done.

Here's his website: http://www.cylinder-slide.com

And here's a wonderful write-up on what one of his artisans can do with a PPK/S: http://www.cylinder-slide.com/combathandgun.shtml

Mine looks alot like the one featured. Sans the backstrap reshaping, the stipling and the polished trigger face.

The work is time consuming and costly. But it's done right and the first time. When I got mine back I looked carefully for some sort of flaw. A line that wasn't exactly strtaight or a buff mark where it shouldn't have been, I couldn't find one. Ralph Gutekunst was the one that worked on mine.

Another tidbit, you can keep in contact with the actual person building your gun so there's no second guessing what you want done. That way there's nothing lost in someone else's translation. In doing some things to your gun, once they get started they can't go back and un-do it.

Take a few hours and read eveything you can on the site. You'll get a good idea what he's about. Famous gunsmiths may be high profile but most of them know that it's customers that put meat on their table. I once called Wilson Combat to ask about a part for my 1911 and non other than Bill Wilson picked up the phone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts