Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from a full magazine...the shell goes in but the extractor does not engage
and it fails to fire from a FULL magazine...but if I remove one round from the
magazine, then all works well.,..and it seems to work flawlessly upon actual firing of the weapon....it is just getting it loaded that is iffy....and the only
way to extract the round lodged in the chamber is with a pencil from the front
as the extractor does not connect with it...is this normal or am I doing something stupid...oh, using factory Remington 88gr JHPs....thanks in advance. Have always admired Walthers...always wanted one...but this...?

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Do you have a second magazine to test with? Different ammo?

Safe shooting - photo

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the pistol used...the trigger was what impressed me...it is stainless
not the blued...they had a blued one that was new in box but had a horrible
trigger on it...also this one had the Pachmayer grips...nice gun...hardly looked
used at all...maybe that was why it was sitting there...?

·
Registered
39 Posts
With 88 grain bullets, I'm assuming this is a .380. How many rounds are you putting in the magazine? Could you be forcing in one more than it's supposed to hold? Just a thought...

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
I bought the pistol used...the trigger was what impressed me...it is stainless
not the blued...they had a blued one that was new in box but had a horrible
trigger on it...also this one had the Pachmayer grips...nice gun...hardly looked
used at all...maybe that was why it was sitting there...?
It's possible the previous owner changed the hammer and recoil springs on the gun or the mag spring may be weak. You may need to replace them with the original ones to get it back to normal. You can get orginal poundage springs here:

http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/WaltherNF.html#PPKS9mm

That's the problem with buying a used gun. You often end up with someone else's problems :(

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I loaded 7 rounds into the magazine and jacked the slide to load...that
was when I noticed the problem...will take to gunsmith where I got it and
have him replace all springs back to factory spec just in case some idiot
messed with them...I am not a spring changer myself...interesting that during
actual firing the gun worked just fine...but am limited to six rounds....
thanks much....and Deputy if you are in El Paso...holler and we can get some coffee...email me at [email protected] and I will send you my cell number.
Thanks for the help...Blessings to all...

Another clarification...this is my first Walther...after wanting one for many years...also recently picked up a Les Baer and a NightHawk...also many years
of wanting...will probably pick up a Beretta Chetah 380 tomorrow...thanks again all...extremely nice board....

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Are you possibly riding the slide down with your hand when trying to chamber the first round? When the mag is full, the slide needs some healthy velocity to strip out the top cartridge because upward pressure on the cartridge column is then at its greatest. That velocity can be manually achieved only by "slingshoting" the slide, and if you're not doing that, your hand could be slowing it down.

It is unlikely that a weak mag spring would cause such a stoppage; actually just the opposite: one that is too strong may unacceptably increase the force necessary to strip out the top round. Or a replacement spring that has an extra coil (or heavier wire) may be too long when fully compressed to leave any clearance for smooth cartridge stripping.

M

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Are you possibly riding the slide down with your hand when trying to chamber the first round? When the mag is full, the slide needs some healthy velocity to strip out the top cartridge because upward pressure on the cartridge column is then at its greatest. That velocity can be manually achieved only by "slingshoting" the slide, and if you're not doing that, your hand could be slowing it down.

It is unlikely that a weak mag spring would cause such a stoppage; actually just the opposite: one that is too strong may unacceptably increase the force necessary to strip out the top round. Or a replacement spring that has an extra coil (or heavier wire) may be too long when fully compressed to leave any clearance for smooth cartridge stripping.

M

Good point Mike. I missed the part about the problem happening when he does it manually. So a mag spring probably can be ruled out. That would leave the "riding the slide" situation or possibly a weak recoil spring. I suggest this procedure to load the gun:

#1 insert an EMPTY mag in the gun and pull the slide back until it locks open.

#2 Remove the empty mag and load it up full.

#3 insert the loaded mag and grip the back of the slide with your thumb and the side of your index finger at the mid-knuckle and pull it back and RELEASE it. Maintain control of the pistol when you do this as that recoil spring is pretty stiff!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yessir I tried that and so did the gunsmith today at the shop...and luckliy
it jammed up on him also...thank goodness...sometimes it is like going to the dentist and the tooth no longer aches...fortunately it did it for him...plus
he thought the ramp needed polishing as well...

Yes I was slingshoting the slide...not riding it...and you are right also, that pressure on the magazine spring for the last round is terrific...also noted by the gunsmith...

Thanks one and all for the insights....I will keep ya'll posted on progress...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gunsmith polished the feed ramp and the edges of the magazines and some other internal parts....and now works fine as ever...said the springs were all
original and need Swarzenegger to work the slide properly...still fairly stiff...
so that should add to reliability...he observed that it does not like aluminum
cased ammo...fine, I am using Remington JHPs so not a problem...fine little gun....but while there ordered a Beretta 380...so the store is happy as ever.
NO charge for the gunsmiths tinkering and polishing but contributed to his
coffee break fund...thanks one and all...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I intended to carry this PPKS but without being certain of its readiness
I was just not comfortable carrying this weapon...now I am...thanks to
one and all....Oh, and I joined you all at 3 cents a day...best three cents
spent...thanks again...

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
I intended to carry this PPKS but without being certain of its readiness
I was just not comfortable carrying this weapon...now I am...thanks to
one and all....Oh, and I joined you all at 3 cents a day...best three cents
spent...thanks again...
Well done on joining our elite group Jorge!!! I'm supposed to pick up my P99 today and there is a PPK/S that the same dealer has. I am STRONGLY tempted to have him add it on to the 4473 and take it home with me. :D

BTW...you can put a small avatar of your pistol (or anything else that will fit) under your name now that you are a supporting member.
Gotta wait for them to activate your membership before you do that. You can also edit your posts if you make a mistake. Something I do a LOT. ;)

Dep

1 - 18 of 18 Posts