Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to Walther Interarms and just want to make sure I’m not getting in too deep. Guy locally has a nice stainless Interarms PPKS with one original mag, no box, she looks like a safe queen. Asking $575 - is this a good buy or too high?

I just bought the most recent Ulm and paid $550 new for that so a used one for $25 more I don’t know if is a good deal or not.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Top end of what I would pay for one with 1 mag. The price isn't terrible but I'd be asking myself....do I really want this pistol? .380 I assume. 1917

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it’s in a .380, I already have the new Walther in a .380 as well so I’m kinda less inclined. Sold a PP in .32 and have been kicking myself since ha

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
A lot of us come across pistols similar to this that we really don't need but might want. I've passed some by unless a low price for a very nice pistol made the decision for me. If an imported Manurhin model I'd get it and sell the Ft Smith version. If you have big beefy hands the big tongue Ft Smith model might be a good option for you. I have little girly hands... 1917

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've got a SS Interarms PPK .380, and it's a fine pistol. Very accurate and looks good to me, nice enough but not a safe queen. I certainly wouldn't pay more, and would use the one mag thing try to talk the owner down. I bought mine last year and paid less and got three mags, but I found a motivated seller. I haven't regretted it yet. I don't know what they bring on the market sites, but you might check.

So I guess it depends on how much you want it. If you want it a lot, it's probably not too much. I doubt it will carry any better than the Ft Smith pistol, unless you get slide bite then that beavertail will come in handy. I don't, and have kinda big hands, so there it is. I think the Interarms Walthers look better. So for me, if I wanted a Walther carry pistol, the choice would be clear. Unless things change a bit, I doubt either will be an heirloom.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, he’s pretty firm on his price. Did find out he also has a Ruger mini 14 in stainless, preban 85ish manufacture with 3 mags and he’s willing to do a package deal which I think could potentially work out. Thanks for the feedback, definitely not a family heirloom have the other part of the collection for that. I have mainly collected WWII era pistols but the newer stuff I’m a little shaky on what’s “fair”.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Heirloom is simply a gun worth of passing on to future generations. I think all of the steel PP pistol are heirloom quality. Even a Smith if it is a nice one.

I find that waiting a week clarifies whether I really need something. 1917

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree - had I not just bought the new one I would’ve grabbed it, but I slept on it and think I’m going to pass. Sold my .32 PP when I picked up the PPKS in .380, that was a mistake. Would ideally like to find another early PP, the .32 isn’t too bad if you buy it in bulk and great to shoot. Though I’m probably preaching to the choir. I have a 1944 PP, it’s in nice shape, I should probably shoot it but it is more of a collector than a shooter.

·
Registered
391 Posts
If you can package it so you’re paying $500, and you want it, around my area that would be about right. $525 max around here. (Ohio)

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
Crzy, did you get that pistol you asked about previously? The stainless steel iteration?
Moon

·
Registered
59 Posts
For what it's worth, I paid 400 for my stainless Interarms PPK/S several months ago, with both mags and (not original) box. However, it was not pristine....it wasn't beat-up, but it was certainly NOT a safe queen. In my initial outing with it, I found it to be extremely accurate, but not especially pleasant to shoot with HP ammo.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I'll see your stainless model and raise you one complete model...box, target and all. Price $0. Client couldn't cycle it...asked me if I could cut the recoil spring in half. No! I told him why. He boxed it back up and handed it to me...in that case I don't want it. You can have it or give it away. I still have it. He wouldn't take any money.

Saw your note Gilly. I'm the only one around here who had managed to dodge the stomach virus this week. Let that clear out and see what the virus is up to and we will get together. 1917

It and the magazines were still in the sticky wrapping paper. '92 model if I recall correctly. I usually don't pass up one at that price.

·
Registered
59 Posts
That's beautiful, 1917. Mine looks just like that, except it's missing the red dot on the safety and it has considerably more wear. When all the crazy clears, we'll have lunch.

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
We won't restart the 'Walther red dot' on Gunbroker. ;)
Moon

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
Gene, Duncan, behave... don't make me come downstairs to talk to you....:eek:

Crzy, you've hit on my least favorite aspect of using the PPK for anything serious or social. Reputedly the Ft. Smith guns will reliably run hollow points, and perhaps the Smith guns as well.
But proving enough of a given round for trust is a giant PITA. Finding a brand that runs, finding enough of it...just more trouble than it's worth.
Just run FMJs, or carry something else that eats about anything.
Moon

·
Registered
136 Posts
Moon,

Nothing else to do, no sports on tv. Red dots are fun to play with. I agree that some IA's can be down right finicky. Mine wasn't. I fed it straight FMJ ammo for about the first thousand rounds. I then started on HP ammo. Tried one or two that it hated, but both Critical Defense and Remington Golden Saber run fine. The breaking in polished everything nicely and I resisted hand polishing anything ( "feed ramp, etc.). Both HP's have a similar profile with FMJ's. As I have said before don't mess with a working pistol if it's not broken.

By the way, I'm working on a device to locate all those red dots on the range, that fall off when shooting. Must be a couple thousand laying around just waiting for a good home.

Duncan

1 - 20 of 33 Posts