Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found the problem with my new PPKs. The magazine with the finger rest will not seat properly because the plastic finger rest hits the wood grips.

I'm not about to send the gun back to S&W - I just won't use the mag.

No way I am not going to touch the grips, and it does not look like it is reasonable to try to shave off the plastic from the finger rest.

I just ordered some with the flat floor plate. They work great.

Now I just have to adjust the rear sight.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That left grip panel looks like it rotated forward a bit, a common occurrance unless the grips get glass-bedded. The clue was that it looks like it's hitting the mag release button.

Mine used to do that and it would Interfere with the sear, not letting it reset for the next shot. To make sure it didn't happen again, even if it did rotate, was to lengthen the relief cut into the grip a bit longer with a Dremel at low RPM.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I had problems with my custom wood grips rotating too.  I fixed it by coating the frame with petroleum jelly, clamping the grips in place (one at a time), and pouring a fast setting exoxy on the back of the grip so it engages the frame.

The jelly keeps the epoxy from sticking to the frame, and now the grips are rock solid.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow - you guys are right! I did not notice that. THe Epoxy idea is great. I'm off to Home Repo and get some.

Thanks a bunch!

Edit - the 2 part liquid epoxy was a mess and did not set right on the wood. I think the grease screws it up.

I found that automotive epoxy putty (comes in a stick) worked great. No grease needed to cover unwanted surfaces. You cut off a slice, mush it together, and roll it into a fine roll. Put it on the front lip of the grips and put the grip on. Remove grip and remove excess. Then put back and try with mag (more excess to remove). Let harden for about 20 minutes and it is like steel.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I like the automotive epoxy idea. The 2 part was a bit tricky.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I would try all that if because of use and wear, the grips failed to seat properly. Used as in used gun. But on a gun purchased new, grips failing to seat properly should be under warranty.

A grip that fails to seat properly will soon become a useless grip. Except as a toothpick. Fit should be tight like in a plastic one. Any unwarranted movement will cause it to crack sooner or later and merely tightening the screw will cause a whole new set of problems. Usually cracking initiated at the screw hole. Never overtighten a grip screw. If possible, use a washer at both ends(four total). Preferably o-ring, but keep an eye on it, they do break down. The shuttle provides the most glaring example.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts