Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my PPKS new in 1985. It was made by Interarms. It is in very good condition visually but has two mechanical issues. The “Cartridge Indicator Spring” was not working and caused the Indicator Pin to float. I cleaned the gun then stretched the spring and corrected a bend in the long end. For now it is fine, but I’ve ordered a new spring anyway.
My larger problem is, when the gun is empty and the hammer is pulled back with the clip removed, I cannot put the safety on and have the hammer drop into safe mode. I did notice while cleaning that the “Safety Catch Plunger” was distorted at the tip so I ordered a new one as well. I am not sure if this would be the problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Boman49

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Unless you want to shell out the cash for a smith to look at it and fix it, only way to find out is replace the part and give it a try. Though, if you drop enough cash on parts, could be a wash.

Next, I might be speaking into a void here, so bear with me.... But contact Walther??? Even though it is an inter arms, it IS their platform. Might be able to fix it up on the cheap...???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless you want to shell out the cash for a smith to look at it and fix it, only way to find out is replace the part and give it a try. Though, if you drop enough cash on parts, could be a wash.

Next, I might be speaking into a void here, so bear with me.... But contact Walther??? Even though it is an inter arms, it IS their platform. Might be able to fix it up on the cheap...???
Thanks for the info. I’ll start with Walther if the new “safety catch plunger” that I ordered doesn’t help. I have found some great information on this subject. Mine is an Interarms PPKS 380 & from reading a number of prior posts this appears to be a relatively common problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You “cannot put the safety on.” Or “when I put the safety on, the hammer doesn’t drop.”?
I can put the safety on if the hammer is down with no problem. My issue is, if the gun is empty with the hammer back and the clip removed, I cannot drop the hammer by putting on the safety.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Mine is a little rough doing this, but it will drop with more pressure on the safety lever past the hesitation point.

·
Registered
10,248 Posts

The plunger sits in a depression and rotating the lever has to cam the spring loaded plunger up allowing the lever to move. Too steep an angle, too deep of a indent and the safety won't rotate easily. This is easily cured by an experienced gunsmith. It is also a common solution for keeping parts in position....for example any old common ratchet wrench although some use a spring loaded ball. The P22 has a small spring loaded ball under the safety lever that works in a similar manner. The firing pin must be properly assembled also and all parts without damage.

The spring and plungers should be straight, not bent, not kinked. Some pistols have a bit of too sharp and edge at the detents on the safety drum which makes pushing the plunger up and out of the detent a bit hard. 1917

·
Registered
13 Posts
I purchased my PPKS new in 1985. It was made by Interarms. It is in very good condition visually but has two mechanical issues. The “Cartridge Indicator Spring” was not working and caused the Indicator Pin to float. I cleaned the gun then stretched the spring and corrected a bend in the long end. For now it is fine, but I’ve ordered a new spring anyway.
My larger problem is, when the gun is empty and the hammer is pulled back with the clip removed, I cannot put the safety on and have the hammer drop into safe mode. I did notice while cleaning that the “Safety Catch Plunger” was distorted at the tip so I ordered a new one as well. I am not sure if this would be the problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Boman49
I’ve had great service from the Walther folks in Ft. Smith, Arkansas. On a 1984 vintage Interarms PPK/S the safety would engage while firing. With a 1999 Walther USA (distributed by S&W) the loaded chamber indicator pin would get stuck (protruding out of the rear of the slide) while firing. In both cases, a call to Walther resulted in warrantied repairs at no cost to me. I have confidence that they’ll treat you as well as I was.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ve had great service from the Walther folks in Ft. Smith, Arkansas. On a 1984 vintage Interarms PPK/S the safety would engage while firing. With a 1999 Walther USA (distributed by S&W) the loaded chamber indicator pin would get stuck (protruding out of the rear of the slide) while firing. In both cases, a call to Walther resulted in warrantied repairs at no cost to me. I have confidence that they’ll treat you as well as I was.
Thanks, will do

1 - 10 of 10 Posts