Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recent aquired a WWII vintage PPK from my fathers estate and would like to understand if the firearm is rare or just a typical WWII piece.

Serial # is 343623K, 7.65 cal., the numbers are matching, no cracks in the grips, the loaded chamber indicator is functional, and it has a brown leather holster with a spare magazine. There are no surface defects that I would consider to be detrimental.

The slide and the extractor have a small eagle stamp with a letter I can't absolutely make out.

Any hints/help would be kindly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mightymouse

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
From what you've described it sounds like a normal WW2 vintage commercial PPK. Are there any other marks on it? Can you post a picture? And are you wanting to sell it?

Devin

·
Registered
78 Posts
The serial number would indicate that the pistol was most likely produced during the mid-war years ('42-'43).

Any war time manufactured PPK with non-cracked grips and no surface defects is NON-typical (these days). A set of non-cracked original grips can fetch up to $300 alone.

The letter you cannot absolutely make out, should be an "N".

Many of these commercial models were bought privately by German officers, to use as their personal (on-duty) side arm. Those bought by the military will be stamped with acceptance markings (located by the magazine release).

Additionally, some pistols were bought by other German Departments (Post Office for example) and may have additional markings on the front of the frame.

Please describe the holster and the magazines. Does one of the mags have the finger rest extension? Are there any markings on the holster?

Congrats on your item, but condolences on your Father's passing. BTW, did your Father bring this back as a War trophy? If so, capture and transfer papers will add to the value of the weapon.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help Devin and Limeyinaz.

Regarding other marks, I couldn't see anything else. Is there other places that I might have overlooked?

The holster is unmarked as well. It's fairly simple with a sleeve for a spare magazine on the outside above the slide. The "flap" covers the top of the magazine, and there is 1 strap that connects to the round pin riveted to the cover. There is one belt loop on the back that's about 1.5" wide.

Both magazines are the same, the lefthand side is stamped with Walther and the cal. of the ammo. The bottom plate is riveted to the magazine and this plate does extent about 1/8" from the grip.

The one part I couldn't find was a field cleaning kit. It was in an aluminium case about the size of a small paperback and about as thick as a pack of smokes. I remember seeing it some time ago, but I don't know if it belongs with the Walther or the Luger that was also left to me. Any ideas on this would be helpful.

The comment about the firearm being for some outfit other than the German Army is likely true. My father was in Holland towards the end of the war "cleaning up" (his words) after the Germans had retreated. He likely relieved the pistol from a collaborator or a spy, etc.

For now I will hold on to the pistol, I'll get it cleaned up and visit a range.

Once again, thanks for the help.

Mightymouse

1 - 4 of 4 Posts