Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this gun.It's from my grandad, he got it after the WW2.
What is year of production and what would be the value of the gun if I ever decide to sell it. Thanks

·
Registered
929 Posts
Sorry but the value is low due it having been refinished which takes away any collector value. It's strictly a shooter grade pistol.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Your PPK was made in 1944. I cannot tell if it was refinished or not. If it has been, I'd say $500+ as a shooter. If not double that + Is the red dot still there under the safety?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I don't know if it was refinished or not, but it looks as though the slide was sanded to remove surface rust and some light pitting I see on the right side. I also see a lot of unevenness in the surface on the left side of the slide as if a sanding block had been used and missed the low spots.

·
Premium Member
8,665 Posts
Looks like a refinished commercial PPK from 44 (I don't see any military acceptance marks). It also doesn't have a period correct mag either.

If it is a good shooter I'd say $400.00 would be a fair price.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I dont believe its been refinished,its a late ww2 pistol those marks on the slide are milling marks not sanding.If it were refinished it would not have all that wear on it.Looks like it may have a little freckling or light pitting on slide.Its a commercial pistol but some german officers bought their own commercial pistols.I bet it would bring 750.00 or more on Gunbroker,there were not near as many ppks made as the pps.The black grip is correct for the ser. no.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I'm not talking about the milling marks. I'm talking about the apparent low spots on the left side of the slide.

Reactions: olsoul

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Looks like a refinished commercial PPK from 44 (I don't see any military acceptance marks).
I agree. The "eagle over N" is a proof mark indicating that it was proofed with modern gunpowder. To someone not familiar with that it can look like a "Reichsadler over swastika". Even with a refinish it looks like it would make a nice shooter.

·
Premium Member
8,665 Posts
I'm still not convinced that the mag is period correct but I'm willing to be educated....

While it is always hard to tell from images it still looks refinished to me. The frame may not have been reworked but the slide certainly is rather dodgy.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Not a Waffenamt by any means, not military. Don't see anything to mark it as police either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does it have anything stampped on the grip frame? My 1940 PP has the eagle over N acceptence mark and I thought it was a commercial model with RFV and a # on the frame. I later learned this was issued to the Nazi Finance Administration. Good looking pistol, enjoy it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice wartime finish PPK. I dont think that it is refinished. The finger extension looks to be made for a Mauser HSc magazine...?
Some better pictures of the FE please?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't feel this has been refinished. The Eagle stamps on these pistols are not as deep as other WWII pistols. Notice how the tip of one of the wings of the Eagle stops, sharply. This is normal of civilian PP's I've seen. If this gun was re finished that eagle would be more faded and not have the sharp stamp. Also, the machine marks on the frame are consistent with late war rushed production methods. The frame machine marks would be less noticeable & more smooth. I am simply a collector who reads a lot, not an expert. That being said, I see nothing to indicate this pistol was refinished.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes like I said earlier its the correct finish,a commercial late ppk.Here is mine, its in better cond.but same rough finish ,this one is a german military proofed example with the WaA359 stamps .You can see in pics how roughly these were finished.The OPs has some freckling light pitting on slide,not low spots,thats what I see from the pics anyway,its still a nice example of a late commercial ppk,and probably was an officers gun or some official with ties to the party,these were not sold to the german public this late in the war.

Attachments

·
Registered
929 Posts
I now agree regarding the finish being original. The first pics looked like a GI chrome job.

Reactions: pilkguns
1 - 20 of 20 Posts