Walther Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad and I watched a James Bond film on the ABC TV Sunday Night Movie and I asked my dad what kind of gun Bond carried. He replied, "Would you like to see it?" He broke out his 1966 alligator boxed blue .380 PPK with the dark brown grips. It was the first gun I remember holding. My dad passed away 2 1/2 years ago, but I still have that gun. Along with the 1988 stainless Interarms PPK I've carried since becoming a police officer back then.

I know the Gun Control Act of 1968 disallowed the importation of the PPK because it was "too small."

So Walther took the PPK slide/barrel and mated it to the PP frame which is longer and has two piece grip panels and a full steel frame backstrap.

But when Walther licensed Interarms to start making the PPK series in the US (allowing the smaller and lighter PPK to be made here since it wasn't being imported), why in the world did they continue to make the PPK/S?

And why does S&W make both the PPK/S and the PPK today?

Since the PPK/S (with its PP frame) is much heavier than the PPK, with its plastic wrap around grip and the PPK/S sticks out another 1/4 inch in the grip (where it is most likely to cause a greater "bulge" when carried strong side hip concealed), why does anyone buy the PPK/S?

Please don't flame me, I'm don't mean anything "bad" about the PPK/S! It does give you one more round in the magazine.

If I was to desire a PPK/S, I would rather have the longer sight radius of the PP slide/barrel too. That extra length would be easier to conceal with an inside the pants holster.

One other point I never understood is why (in the day of advanced metalurgical technology), a PPK isn't made with an aluminum frame to reduce weight...Walther used to make the "dural" aluminum frame PPK and PP back in the old days in Germany.

Imagine a .380 PPK with a stainless slide and a matching satin nickel aluminum frame! Now that would be a new version to make that woud sell!

·
Registered
8 Posts
It does give you one more round in the magazine.

One other point I never understood is why (in the day of advanced metalurgical technology), a PPK isn't made with an aluminum frame to reduce weight...aluminum frame! Now that would be a new version to make that woud sell!
On the first point I believe the extra round is nice and puts me two rounds up on my Smith snubbie and one round up on the Colt Agent.
On the second point I have often wondered, also. Though, these guns do kick with hot loads as is.

·
Registered
69 Posts
PPK/s

Why buy a PPK/S and not a PPK?

Because the PPK/s feels good in my hand, and the PPK feels too small.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The ppk wasn't available new when I purchaced my ppk/s. I probably would have went that way if I had waited a few years.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
The first handgun I purchased on turning 21 was a Walther PPK/s .380. It was German made and a beautiful pistol. I never had a lick of trouble with it!

Of course I sold it. But not before I got a 1960's PPK .32, it has also been a great gun with no problems. I still have that one!

Years later I bought the stainless .380 PPK - it was to be my ultimate "always" pistol. I was horrified to discover that the lighter PPK in .380 chewed my hand into hamburger. No matter how tight I held it, the back of the slide just carved grooves into my skin.

Why the PPK/S, I never had the cutting problems with that pistol, the extra wieght of the soild bckstrap and possibly the quarter inch more of handle really made a difference!!!

I was able to replace that original .380 PPK/S with a 1966 PP in .380!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts