Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all! I am interested in purchasing a new S&W PPK or PPK/s and looking for some information. Does anyone have any preference of one over the other? I understand that the PPK/s holds one more round than the standard PPK. Are there any other notable differences in the two models? Does the extra size of the PPK/s make a difference in concealability for pocket carry? In addition, which finish will hold up longer, the stainless steel or the blued? I just love the way these pistols look and am anxious to add one to my collection. Any advice or info you can relate would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
You've made a fine choice. Nearly all PP- series firearms are of extremely high quality, but a NIB S&W variant is an affordable, fine choice.

There is no discernable difference in quality between the PPK and PPK/S- this shouldn't be too surprising, since the PPK/S was created to satisfy a legal, technical requirement. The PPK/S is slightly easier to grip, and perhaps there might be a little more recoil absorbed by the longer frame, than in the PPK. The .32 is much more pleasing to shoot, but then nearly any .380 in a short barrel is punishment on the hands.

The stainless steel is easier to care for. Blueing will fade/chip over time. S&W also offers a variant in a matte stainless, if the "bright" is too bright.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Take a look at both to see which fits your hand better. As stated above, a .380 pocket pistol can have some pretty snappy recoil. The PPK/S, being heavier, will have lesser felt recoil, than the PPK. Also, the PPK does not have a backstrap. Rather, the back of the grips become the backstrap, making for a thinner grip area.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your feedback. I have not found a shop here in the Indianapolis area with either model in stock. Every shop I go into say they will have to order it, so I cannot actually hold the pistol to check out the fit. I have relatively large hands so I am leaning more towards the PPK/s if there is no noticable difference in concealment.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
713 Posts
My main carry pistol has been a old Interarms PPK/S It conceals in my pocket very well I use a Don Hume pocket holster and if going IWB I use there IWB model. I love a PPK/s I 6'3" and 300 I have no trouble holding or shoot. Mine is a old one and I never been biten  The S&W cured that little problem. Only thing I see wrong with S&W is they need to dull edges of slide and front edge of frame . Both easy done

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hello,

For collecting purpose, I would go the PPK way, as it is, with the PP, the original design. For shooting and pratical use, the PPK/S, with the longer grip, +1 capacity, stronger frame is a reasonnable choice.

All these "Waltherchen" are light and compact - no problem to carry.

Bye.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts