Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know these pistols intimately enough to jot down a quick pro's and con's list comparing the PPK to the PPK/S. I know the former is 6+1 and the later is 7+1 and that the PPK has a wrap around grip which provides texturing to the back of the grip. I know the dimensions on paper, but never having shot one, what are your impressions of them, and which one would you choose if you had to pick only one?

·
Registered
592 Posts
For me:
-- The PPK is ideal size for pocket carry. Easy follow-up shots in .32 ACP.
-- The PPKS is ok for pocket carry with a flat bottom mag.
-- With a steel back strap ,the PPKS is more durable than a PPK.
-- If shooting .380 ACP, the PPKS soaks up recoil better than a PPK.
-- Sight radius is the same for both pistols.
If I could choose only one for defensive carry (and therefore frequent range time) it would be a PPKS in .380 ACP with flat bottom mags.

·
Registered
432 Posts
DE Pistole's points are very good.

I would pick the PPK/S. It fits my hand much better than the PPK and handles recoil better. Try shooting both (if possible) and see which one is the most comfortable for you.
BTW: I would buy the 32 caliber pistol instead of the 380. Recoil is much lighter.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I prefer the PPK. Without the steel back strap that the PPK/S has, the weight is cut down to that magical number where I can carry it all day in comfort, whereas with the PPK/S, I sometimes feel it at the end of the day.

Reactions: Sheepdoggit

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good feedback guys. I'm going to use this primarily for pocket carry, so I think I'm leaning towards the PPK at the moment.

I'm a big G26 fan, so I have no trouble with even two fingers (and usually shoot better without my pinky). I know an ounce can make a difference, but I don't know if it can make that big a difference in the 22.1 to 23.1-ounce range. It's essentially the same weight as a G26 but shooting less powerful rounds (even with the hotter loads). I'll still have the option for the pinky extension if the recoil is uncomfortable.

I'm going to be experimenting with different Lehigh Defense XD rounds (e.g. underwood's 65 gr. Xtreme Defenders). These are hotter loads than the typical .380 ACP defense rounds, so I appreciate the feedback about the PPK/S being easier to shoot, but I also want the better choice for the pocket if at all possible. This is where I think there is some value in the PPK and PPK/S pistols. These XD rounds are barrier blind and can create a larger wound cavity than hollow points. The .380 ACP versions are also less apt to over penetrate which is why I am attracted to this setup.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Does anyone know these pistols intimately enough to jot down a quick pro's and con's list comparing the PPK to the PPK/S. I know the former is 6+1 and the later is 7+1 and that the PPK has a wrap around grip which provides texturing to the back of the grip. I know the dimensions on paper, but never having shot one, what are your impressions of them, and which one would you choose if you had to pick only one?
I have both. I prefer the ppk. Just a little smaller, and fits my hand better. Both are great pistols. Can't go wrong with either one if you want a steel pistol.

·
Super Moderator
7,596 Posts
How you guys are pocketing a steel lump like a steel Walther is a mystery to me. If you really want to pocket the thing, get a G42; same size, much lighter, much softer shooting in .380, sights that Ray Charles could use, and light enough to go in a pocket (with an Alabama kydex), without creating Mae West-esque questions. It will run virtually any .380 ammo as well.

Now if you're still hellbent on carrying a steel gun, use a holster, and see which (/s or not) fits your hand better.
Concur that the .32 is bunches nicer to shoot.
Moon

Reactions: 153

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How you guys are pocketing a steel lump like a steel Walther is a mystery to me. If you really want to pocket the thing, get a G42; same size, much lighter, much softer shooting in .380, sights that Ray Charles could use, and light enough to go in a pocket (with an Alabama kydex), without creating Mae West-esque questions. It will run virtually any .380 ammo as well.

Now if you're still hellbent on carrying a steel gun, use a holster, and see which (/s or not) fits your hand better.
Concur that the .32 is bunches nicer to shoot.
Moon
I don't know how you guys are not carrying better heavier guns. I carry a SIG P229 Enhanced Elite chambered in .357 SIG that is worlds above anything polymer in my opinion. I think Nutnfancy programmed people to think guns weigh more than they do. I've been carrying for almost 15 years. A small heavier gun can handle loads like the 65 gr. Underwood Xtreme Defender (that are as powerful as the lightest 9mm defensive rounds and more effective in my opinion) far better than even a G42. They are warm loads, so a heavier gun handles it better. That's my opinion anyway.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My experience is that a G42 is a lot easier on the hand than a PPK 380. I have fired both. Yes, the PPK is heavier but the G42 is a lock breach pistol and they tend to have less recoil than a blow back.

·
Super Moderator
7,596 Posts
Yep. Weight isn't the issue with the PP-series; it's the abrupt stop the slide makes at the end of its travel. That is most of what you feel as recoil in the .380.

The G42 is much softer shooting, and I own both. Try both before forming an opinion.
Moon

Reactions: Sheepdoggit

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I found the PPK a bit too small in my hand, whereas the PPK/S is the same frame as the venerable PP and handles much better for me. The .32 is most definitely less snappy than the .380, although we have all read plenty of caliber war posts making the case that .380 is a minimal cartridge for SD use. I would say for CC purposes, the slightly more compact PPK would work better for some people, I just never warmed up to mine. My car gun for many years was a Manurhin PPK/S in .380, although I switched to a SIG P6 a couple of years ago. YMMV

·
Registered
7 Posts
Went to the range a couple years ago with the .380 PPK and shot a box.
With the standard plastic grips, I was pretty sore at the end of that session.

The Hogue grip sleeve solved that problem entirely.

It just totally changed the way it handles and I cannot live without it.

I use the Hogue HandAll Beavertail Grip Sleeve #18200.

Hogue advertises a precise fit for Glock 42 & 43, but they also list it as fitting well on the PPK, as it says on their web page and on the back of the product pack.

On my PPK, there isn't anything ill-fitting about it, and looks as though it were actually designed for the PPK. It is very snug and the fit is as precise as you would ever want, and, in my opinion, does not detract from the esthetics of the pistol.

The improvement in ergonomics and shooting enjoyment is truly amazing.

I use mine as a second backup in a Sneaky Pete BugBite "ankle" holster (a mid-calf holster, actually) with boot cut Tru-Spec cargo pants [the other backup is somewhere else;-)]

It is hell to get on, but stay with it. Just turn the pistol upside down on a table and
slowly work it down the upside down grip into position.

I would ignore their illustrated instructions for positioning your grip on the pistol, a folded sheet which is packed with the shipment. Turning it upside down on a table is essential in order to get the required leverage, else you'll never make it.

Did I say snug? Tight with no slop.

·
Super Moderator
7,596 Posts
I'll keep pushing for a bike glove for range use with the .380 PP series. It doesn't add bulk for carry, but cushions things for range use. A couple shots in an emergency won't be a bother.
Or just get the Glock.
Moon

Reactions: 153

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ppk for me. I just feel it sits in my hand better. Lighter, more compact, fits on ankle much better and did I mention its lighter. PPK for me!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Can't believe it, but lately I find myself preferring my PPKS over my PPK. The PPKS is just as pointable as the PPK, has an additional round and, with a flat base mag, is shorter in height than a PPK with an extended mag.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts