Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I went out to the range the other day for a bit of practice with my daily carry. A 1950's vintage PPK. I carry with a round in the chamber, safety on and hammer down.

The first round is DA and subsequent shots SA.

I fired one round DA down range. For some reason the hammer did not stay cocked like it should. I looked closer and found the safety still engaged.

I am puzzled by this behavior.. I have been carrying and shooting handguns for 35+ years and this PPK for almost 20 years and have never heard of such a thing.

Any thoughts on how this could happen? I am baffled and will not carry it again until I can resolve the issue with good confidence that it will not happen again.

Any suggestions on trouble shooting steps?

Thanks.

Ps: maybe it is time to retire the PPK and give a new PPS a try :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
You will find the information that you seek in the FAQ section titled "When the hammer won't stay cocked".

Reactions: pilkguns

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You will find the information that you seek in the FAQ section titled "When the hammer won't stay cocked".
Thanks for the link.

I read through that and the issue they are dealing with has some similarities but nothing speaking to the safety issue..

I am about done fooling with it. I am going to send it to a gunsmith. Can anyone recommend a gunsmith with good PPK knowledge?

That brings up shipping questions. Can I ship it directly to the gunsmith or do I need to take it to an FFL and have them ship it?

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
7,511 Posts
You should take the gun to a shop where you have done some business, and see if they will ship it for you, directly to the gunsmith. Have him return it the same way.
USPS won't take firearms from individuals, and UPS/FedEx insist on overnight, to a tune of about $65. You must send it to an FFL.

An FFL should be able to ship it for maybe $25.
You might contact Walther and see if they will fix it, and send you a mailer for the shipping.

Moon

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should take the gun to a shop where you have done some business, and see if they will ship it for you, directly to the gunsmith. Have him return it the same way.
USPS won't take firearms from individuals, and UPS/FedEx insist on overnight, to a tune of about $65. You must send it to an FFL.

An FFL should be able to ship it for maybe $25.
You might contact Walther and see if they will fix it, and send you a mailer for the shipping.

Moon
Thanks for the reply.

It's sad to say that the only gun shop in the area has gone out of business. The sad part is that very few folks miss them.

I will check with the lumber yard in town and see if they can ship it for me. AFIK: They are the only place in the county with an FFL.

·
Super Moderator
7,511 Posts
PNW', time to establish a relationship with a shop somewhere...it's not like you're in Chicago, where there aren't any....:eek:
Seriously, there have to be shops someplace. We gunnies like to haunt them, looking for treasures.
Or, go to plan B, call Walther, and see if they will help out. Then you can go straight to FedEx/UPS.
Moon

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PNW', time to establish a relationship with a shop somewhere...it's not like you're in Chicago, where there aren't any....:eek:
Seriously, there have to be shops someplace. We gunnies like to haunt them, looking for treasures.
Or, go to plan B, call Walther, and see if they will help out. Then you can go straight to FedEx/UPS.
Moon

I'm not kidding. The nearest gun shop, according to Google, is an hour and a half drive. There used to be one just 40 minutes away but they went out of business about five years ago. If I want a new gun, I order it online and have it shipped to the local lumber yard.

I called Walther yesterday and got the details on shipping it to them. Apparently I can ship it to them and have them ship it back without having to involve a local FFL. The only hang up is......... Our UPS drop off here in town loses a couple of years ago. The nearest one is in Walla Walla. I'll be heading that way next month.

I have to laugh at myself. I'm really becoming a home body. :)

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
That is a great one-stop shop: you can get a shovel, a bag of lime, and a pistol at your lumber yard, and nobody will raise an eyebrow ;)

Reactions: halfmoonclip

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is a great one-stop shop: you can get a shovel, a bag of lime, and a pistol at your lumber yard, and nobody will raise an eyebrow ;)
You can get it all. Don't forget duct tape, tarps and rope..... :)

A little perspective on "rural":

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 873 square miles (2,260 km2), of which 869 square miles (2,250 km2) is land and 4.9 square miles (13 km2) (0.6%) is water.[3]. Total population 4070 in the county.

We do have one stop light in the county. We don't have, and don't miss, McDonalds, Walmart, Home Depot or any other fast food chains or big box stores.

Ok.... I do miss Wendy's a little bit :D

·
Super Moderator
7,511 Posts
Share your affection for rural America. We had a hunting camp in Greene County, PA. The nearest place with cold beer and running water was Hundred, WV.
Headed down to another camp, closer to home, just to get a woods fix. But it is still far enough in the boonies that you can shoot while starkers on the porch, and nobody would notice. Sorry, TMI.
Moon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts