Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve acquired a NIB PPK/S. Shoots pretty good, I like it for what it is. However, it’s a ***** to rack. Any suggestions on making that RACKING a little more friendly. Thanks

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Practice, practice, practice... 😉
The PPK, especially in .380, is notoriously hard to rack, sorry.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
Actually if you post your question in the PP and TP Series section you should get some answers to your problem.
https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/pp-tp-series/
In the mean time...
A couple of ideas spring to mind right away:

Try the push/pull technique...push down with your strong hand while pulling back with your weak hand. Your weak hand should have an overhand grip on the back end of the slide by the safety.

If that doesn't work you could think about replacing the recoil spring with a slightly lighter one. Yours is likely a 20LB and you might want to go to an 18 or 17.

I'd try the push/pull for a while first...also NIB weapons tend to have tough springs and need a few boxes of ammo run through them before you make any decisions about changing springs.

All that being said, Welcome to the Forums!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Had the same issue with my S&W PPK. I tried going to a 17 lb spring and yes it made it easier to rack. Just keep in mind there is a reason for the 20lb spring. The best thing I did to make it rack easier was to get a hand/grip exerciser to beef up my hands. I will say the PPK is an easier rack than my Ruger LCP, mainly as there is more to hold onto with the PPK.

In a previous thread on this topic someone mentioned to manually pull back the hammer first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Think of it this way.
First, Don't try holding the guy at full extension. WHILE MAINTAINING PROPER MUZZLE DIRECTION, pull the gun close to your chest, where you have more power.

Second. Ask yourself, "Do you "Pull" a lawnmower, or do you "PUSH" a Lawnmower?"
The grip has more than surface area than the slide.
Grasp the slide in your weak hand, and "Push" the grip with your strong hand.

And, oh yeah, buy a 17lb spring from Wolff!

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’ve acquired a NIB PPK/S. Shoots pretty good, I like it for what it is. However, it’s a ***** to rack. Any suggestions on making that RACKING a little more friendly. Thanks

I took the factory recoil spring (20 lb I think) out and replaced it with a 15 lb spring. It racks very easy now and it stopped an intermittent stove piping problem I was having.

I even had an experienced range master try to rack the PPK S and he said it was the most difficult rack he had ever seen. The 15 lb. spring from Wolff solved it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts