Walther Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1972 PPK/S with nothing on the left side of the slide. No Walther banner, no text, nothing. The right side has the InterArms import logo, serial number matching the frame, and the Eagle over N proof mark. The barrel has the Eagle over N as well as the 72 antler date marks.
It has been plated and shows some wear on the corners where you expect.
The left side is nice and flat with no ripples suggesting that it has always been blank and no one removed the markings.
I found this on the internet so I have no idea about the history behind it.
Any ideas ?? Anyone seen this before ?
Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Everyday carry Carbon
Bicycle part Tool Nickel Auto part Bumper
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Revolver Everyday carry
Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Gun barrel Revolver

Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Everyday carry Carbon

Bicycle part Tool Nickel Auto part Bumper

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Revolver Everyday carry

Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Gun barrel Revolver

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It shoots fine. I have another PPK/S (1974 with box) and they both feel the same. Trigger, slide, and everything else feels smooth and snug.
With what little I know about plating (Google), if the coating really is thick enough to cover up the Walther banner and text, wouldn't it also start to blur the serrations on the slide as well as the machining marks under the safety lever? Those are still crisp.

Hood Automotive lighting Grille Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree that it is unlikely. If you roll or twist the slide with light shining on it, the reflecting surface shows no ripples or distortions. Just a nice flat surface. I would expect to see some kind of distortion or ripples if someone had removed the text before plating. If it is an excessively heavy coating favoring the left side, I would expect the machining marks under the safety to be covered over and smooth. And possibly the machining marks within the slide. Those are all crisp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
agree with Depenau, never seen a one slide stamped slide, perhaps a filler or first bath was used and upon drying polished and then a second coat BUT why is the intriguing question, why only one side……if you want to go all chrome…….unless the person got tired of the polishing…….and just dipped it…..enjoy and shoot the crap out of it………
I intend on shooting this one often.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It is a .380 and I didn't pay that much for it. I suspect because it did not say Walther PPK/S and was listed only as Inter Arms and nothing else. I wasn't sure if it was going to be .32 or .380 but I got it for $275 auction price + auction house fee + shipping + my local FFL fee. All together about $350 to put it in my hand.

As to ViperR's suggestion that I measure the wall thickness of the slide, I'm still looking for my micrometer. Once I find it, I have another .380 PPK/S I can compare it to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts