Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any thoughts on the performance of the Sig 232 model?

My son and I were visiting a local gun shop today and spotted the
Sig -- a nice-looking pistol, to be sure. It actually seemed a bit lighter than the PPK/S (haven't gone in to check specs, but that was the overall impression it left), which got us to thinking about its kick. I'm wondering what kind of a carry gun it would make when compared with the PPK/S, especially when considering recoil. It's hard to beat a Walther, of course, but the PPK/S does have a tendency to snap a bit.

Appreciate the thoughts, as always.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The Sig 232 is very nice, but with it being almost double the price of the Walther (comparing stainless to stainless) I would expect that. If I had to choose between the two and money wasn't important I would probably take the Sig. I would still buy a Walther later on down the road but for the purposes of carrying you can't go wrong with either really. Just keep in mind that if you are looking at the blued Sig 232, as I assume you probably are since it is almost identical in price to the Walther, the finish will require a lot of upkeep to ensure it doesn't rust. Water and sweat will give you problems with the blued gun versus the stainless steel.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Everywhere I've looked the price has been mostly the same between these two.

The P232 is a little longer, and the handgrip felt a little wider to me. The Sig P232 has a Sig-standard hammer release that works about the same as the Walther, and they're both DA/SA pistols.

The biggest downside of the Sig P232 is the magazine release - it's a small latch on the bottom of the handgrip. To remove a spent magazine, you have to use both hands (unlike the PPK/S with a thumb-release). This is the only reason I'm considering the PPK/S.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
The Sig will recoil stronger than the PPK/S as the frame is aluminium - at least on the blued version. I am not sure if the stainless is entirely steel - but if it is that would be the one to get.

Quality wise the SIG is superior to the modern S&W PPK/S, and I would get the SIG if I was planning on protecting myself with it.

The mag release on the SIG is on the bottom of the grip. But if you fired 8 rounds in self-defense and still have a "problem" - reloading will be the least of your worries.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The Sig will recoil stronger than the PPK/S as the frame is aluminium - at least on the blued version. I am not sure if the stainless is entirely steel - but if it is that would be the one to get.

Quality wise the SIG is superior to the modern S&W PPK/S, and I would get the SIG if I was planning on protecting myself with it.

The mag release on the SIG is on the bottom of the grip. But if you fired 8 rounds in self-defense and still have a "problem" - reloading will be the least of your worries.
My feelings exactly on the mag release.

MSRP on the stainless is $800. MSRP on the blued is $573. That would make me lean towards it being completely stainless. The weight difference is also 22.4 for the stainless and 17.6 for the blued. That also seems to point more towards it being completely stainless.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
$800 is pretty steep for a .380 auto!! Especially when it would seem there are lots of good 9 m/m and .45 pistols out there in the same range.

If the debate is between the Walther and the SIG I would still plunk down the extra dollars for the SIG. That extra weight in the stainless model will make a world of difference when shooting, and the stainless makes concealed carry a lot more worry free - finish wise.

·
Registered
70 Posts
All of the PPKs I've seen, stainless or otherwise, have hovered in the $500 range. The $800-$900 has to be a misprint, or you've got someone gouging the price. Same for the P232, I've never seen one above $600 around here.

I rather enjoyed shooting the P232 - it's a nicely designed pistol. Just wish I could compare it to the PPK/S, but nobody around my area has one. Guess I'll just have to buy one and see for myself :)

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The gunshop we were browsing in wanted $519 for the Sig; the gun was blued. You can buy a PPK/S stainless in Oregon for around $500, so the price is comparable across the board. Not sure how that compares around the rest of the country.

·
Registered
117 Posts
All of the PPKs I've seen, stainless or otherwise, have hovered in the $500 range. The $800-$900 has to be a misprint, or you've got someone gouging the price. Same for the P232, I've never seen one above $600 around here.

I rather enjoyed shooting the P232 - it's a nicely designed pistol. Just wish I could compare it to the PPK/S, but nobody around my area has one. Guess I'll just have to buy one and see for myself :)
http://www.sigarms.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=10&productid=69

That's straight from Sig's website.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't mean to be contrary, but - having owned a couple of PPK/S and PPKs and having fired many more, and having fired several P232s and P230s and presently owning a P232, I like the SIG-Sauer better.

It's larger than the PPK/S, no doubt. In my experience, the trigger pull is much better on the SIG-Sauer product - even better than the S&W PPK/Ss. Frankly, it's the nicest factory trigger I've found on a pocket pistol. It's crisp, and it's reasonably light.

I've found the SIG-Sauers to be somewhat more reliable than the Walthers (only comparing the Interarms and pre-Interarms guns, though - haven't shot a S&W gun and those look like they'd feed anything), though I note that none of these blowback guns should be shot more than 100 rounds between cleanings if you've a need for true 100% reliability.

I have a different issue than many of you. As a southpaw who pocket-carries these small autos, I've had problems through the years with the button-release mags getting popped in my pocket holsters (the button faces outward when I wear it in my strongside pocket, and it's easily popped when I inadvertantly brush up against objects during the day) - it's very disconcerting to remove your gun from your pocket and find the mag is falling out. This has happened with Walthers and FEGs and Kel-Tecs and Kahrs - but it won't happen with my Euro-release SIG-Sauer. Personally, I very much like the heel mag release on the pocket guns. (And I don't find it slows me down on reloads all that much, either. I've yet to see anyone running a PPK reload at IPSC speed. ;))

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I'm sticking with my well-used P232 for such use.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
As I recall, the SIG 230 and 232 are almost identical. One or the other has the European (bottom) magazine release and the other has the American style button behind the trigger. So that shouldn't be an issue.

I fired them side by side years ago (a pal of mine has the SIG, a 230 I think.) I remember the SIG had a wider grip, which reduced the felt recoil significantly. That session was the main reason I put wider custom grips on the ppk/s that extend fully to the backstrap.

I honestly can't remember the SIG trigger, but it wouldn't be hard to improve on the Walther's. I do recall my buddy not offering up his 230 for my ppk/s though ;-)

·
Registered
117 Posts
As I recall, the SIG 230 and 232 are almost identical. One or the other has the European (bottom) magazine release and the other has the American style button behind the trigger. So that shouldn't be an issue.

I fired them side by side years ago (a pal of mine has the SIG, a 230 I think.) I remember the SIG had a wider grip, which reduced the felt recoil significantly. That session was the main reason I put wider custom grips on the ppk/s that extend fully to the backstrap.

I honestly can't remember the SIG trigger, but it wouldn't be hard to improve on the Walther's. I do recall my buddy not offering up his 230 for my ppk/s though ;-)
Grips are the first thing anyone should do to their PPK/S. :D

I'll be glad when mine get here.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Actually, your recollection is not correct about the mag releases. Both are heel-style releases - exactly the same.

You are right that they are virtually correct. The P232 was redesigned to make it feed HPs a bit better, the hammer-drop was attached to the frame as it is on other SIG-Sauers, the sights were improved (allowing tritium inserts and making them bigger), the stocks changed to more ergo but bulkier, and the slide serrations were widened.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I a bit surprised thay no one has stepped forward to champion the PPK/S, even though I come down on the side of the SIG myself.

This shows that members of this forum are a pretty savvy lot, understanding that while one can love the Walther design, prehaps its not the ultimate pistol for everyone or every ocassion. Or is it?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I a bit surprised thay no one has stepped forward to champion the PPK/S, even though I come down on the side of the SIG myself.

This shows that members of this forum are a pretty savvy lot, understanding that while one can love the Walther design, prehaps its not the ultimate pistol for everyone or every ocassion. Or is it?
Now if only we could beat that lesson into the 1911 guys lol. ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
The more I read this thread, the more I find myself on the fence between the two.

I'm thinking that since I've already fired a P232 a few times (and liked it a lot), I'll pick up a PPK/S and try it out. If I'm not so keen on it, I'll go for the P232.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts