Walther Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Lot's of myth in this thread...
Agreed

1) Any competent machinest can put threads on the inside or the outside of a Walther style barrel.
Agreed, but why is that most say they dont/wont?

2) Walther barrels are not difficult to remove from the frame.
Again, why is that most dont do it? Even Tornado Tech says it on their page. Gemtech and others say barrel is too short and you have to provide your own barrel? Earl's doesnt do the work either

3) Outside threading is preferred. Threading the inside of the barrel can remove enough rifiling in shorter barrels to destabilize the bullet, and wreck accuracy.
Agreed 1000%

4) James Bond is a fictional character and his Walthers are "prop" guns, they are often modified to "look cool" not to shoot.
Agreed once more, but that motherplucker sure is cool :D

All coolness aside, I want to have a ppk as a conceal backup, the P99 being the primary. And since I already have a barrel coming in, and the stamp already being paid for the can, I figured why not get a threaded ppk, half the hard work is done.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts

I think you must be talking to the wrong folks. Decades ago, I've done all the above myself -with a little help. Maybe times are good and those you have spoken with don't want to mess with something they aren't familiar with. They may be concerned regarding legal issues. It's a crime in some states just to have a threaded barrel on your pistol.

Silencers are neat, but I wouldn't put one on a barrel for a pistol I was using for CCW. While I don't subscribe to most of the BS about modifactions to your CC weapon being prejudical in a courtroom, I would think something like a Walther PPK with a silencer enabled barrel might just cause you some grief... even shyster lawyers watch 007 movies!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Lot's of myth in this thread...
......4) James Bond is a fictional charecter and his Walthers are "prop" guns, they are often modified to "look cool" not to shoot.
What? say it ain't so...... next you'll be telling me Santa isn't real.

·
Registered
2 Posts
threaded barrels for PPK/S

we've made 'em. costly though. what thread would be good for you. extend past the slide perhaps .50?

·
Registered
128 Posts
My PP 22LR with aftermarket threaded barrel

Hi there, I dug up this thread (pardon the pun) while searching on threaded barrels on Walther PPs.

This is my recently acquired 1967 model PP, 22LR.

It appears like the barrel had an extension made, or was completely changed.

The extended part with the thread does not have rifling in it - that's why I think it was welded on somehow.

For me, it appears to be neatly done.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
The extended part with the thread does not have rifling in it - that's why I think it was welded on somehow.
Or it could be done much simpler.....
The extended part is heated up with with a torch,it gets bigger.
The cold barrel pushed in,when it cools off,it's a (tight) press fit.
No sighn of welding.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I’d recommend just getting a colt if you want a suppressed .32 acp or 380. Barrels are easy to install on the 1903/1908 guns yourself and requires no permanent mods. Hell , I have a threaded 1908 vest pocket .25acp. Haven’t decided how I want to build the suppressor . I’m thinking a titanium 6 inch tube 1” or less in diameter with home made k cups...... form 1 here I come !

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Or it could be done much simpler.....
The extended part is heated up with with a torch,it gets bigger.
The cold barrel pushed in,when it cools off,it's a (tight) press fit.
No sighn of welding.
Which leaves the issue of how to fieldstrip the pistol, which Malteser's pistol avoids.
If you are hellbent on a silenced centerfire, home_alone's idea sounds like a far better one.
It has the further advantage of being reversible.
Moon

·
Registered
64 Posts
Which leaves the issue of how to fieldstrip the pistol, which Malteser's pistol avoids.
If you are hellbent on a silenced centerfire, home_alone's idea sounds like a far better one.
It has the further advantage of being reversible.
Moon
Homemade alterations many times solves one problem,but creates two others.
A better solution would be to fit it very close,and pin it.The pin could be removed very easily,without deforming anything.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here is why I recommend the colt , they have a rather genius method for barrel removal . I’d love to see an updated PPK with the colt style barrel arraignment.

D016A011-E8C3-451A-8055-094525BBA194.jpg

368179C1-E348-4EAD-958E-1E4511182D67.jpg

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
If somebody/anybody is "hellbent" on welding an extension to a barrel,friction welding is better.
I wouldn't recommend it anybody.
"Hellbent" as in "almighty determined". Used the term because, IMHO, the silencer on a PPK might be doable, but is fraught with problem.

Just because something can be done doesn't necessarily make it a good idea.
Plainly, you've never seen me dance.

Moon

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here is why I recommend the colt , they have a rather genius method for barrel removal . I’d love to see an updated PPK with the colt style barrel arraignment.

There are many PPKs with threaded barrels.;)
threaded ppk barrel - Google Search

Not really , most of those images are of .22s, which are a fine choice for threading, and most of the new ones come threaded which is nice. If I really wanted a threaded PPK I’d send it to tornado technologies to have the barrel extended and threaded , but then you are paying over 200 dollars just to thread the thing.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Okay, Lazarus, pick up your pistol and walk...;)
Spang, is a PP series one of those .380s?
This thread has taken two views of the difficulty of removing/replacing PP series barrels.
Moon

21 - 39 of 39 Posts