Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious if anyone has come across a threaded barrel for a ppk/s? I am trying to complete the "Bond" persona. Just can't stomach those darn martinis though :p . Any information would be appreciated! Took my s&w ppk/s out for the first time today. She's a beauty!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
What generally stops a project like this in it's tracks is.....you have to send the gun out for the barrel replacement and not just anybody can be trusted with that.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I see. I was under the impression I could get an aftermarket threaded barrel and have a gunsmith install it. Is that at all possible? If so would you know where to find one? Thanks for all the info guys!

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have no idea where one would find it, but I know it can be done. I have a Manurhin PP that has one, it was also re-chambered from .32 to .380, most likely at the same time. Unfortunately for the discussion at hand, I have no idea what its history is or who did the work, it was like this when I got it :)

This one is without the thread guard:

This one shows the thread guard that came with it:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow good find! Well thanks for the help guys. If I do find anything in the future I will post it

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
fumbles, if you are going to the trouble of threading the barrel, why not go the extra mile and actually get a silencer; the tax stamp is $200 and a bunch of hoops to jump thru', but why stop at half-measures? A silenced piece can be really neat.

Your pistol is a .32, he hoped?
Moon

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
On the .22 PPK, some companies have done interior relief and threading, to conceal the fact that the gun can take a suppressor. The suppressor wears the "male" threaded section. Not enough steel in the .32 or .380 barrels to do this to, though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is the plan moon. I've also heard 9mm suppressors will work on .380. Is there any truth in that?

·
Registered
713 Posts
That is the plan moon. I've also heard 9mm suppressors will work on .380. Is there any truth in that?
I've heard the same but don't know for sure. I think Thompson Machine suppressors might show how a 9mm to .380 sounds/works on youtube. Just go and do a search.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Why wouldn't they? The caliber is the same... .380 ACP = 9mm Kurtz (Short). As a matter of fact, the suppression should be better on a .380 ACP since the muzzle velocity is somewhat slower (less than the speed of sound) than on some 9mm rounds:

.380 ~ 950 - 1050 FPS
9 MM ~ 990 - 1350 FPS
Speed of sound ~1126 FPS​

Once you have a projectile going over MACH 1, suppression becomes somewhat more involved since you are then dealing with the sonic "boom" of the bullet, not just the muzzle blast.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes a 9mm suppressor will work on a 380 but it may not suppress as well... depends on the gun. The PPK, like most 380's and 32's, is a blowback breech design and you get a lot of noise coming from the breech. The breech in a locked-breech pistol takes longer to open so you won't get as much noise coming from the breech making it sound quieter.

ETA: The locked-breech will be quieter than blowback assuming subsonic ammo. Like Kurt_D said not all 9mm is subsonic, but almost all factory 147gr 9mm ammo will be subsonic in pistol length barrels.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Reading thru the thread, saw several places to thread the PPK/S.
However, called Gemtech, they dont do it, barrel too short,

And Tornado says on their page:
We do NOT remove pressed in barrels such as PPKs, P7M8s, etc..

Jarvis doesnt offer them either, only for the p99.

So what are the options for the PPk?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I don't know if you can find someone to remove the barrel (maybe Earl"s), and then have them replace it with a PP length barrel after the barrel has been threaded (by any of the threading places). The removal and install of the barrels should only be done by competent smiths who have done it before, as the Walther are TIGHT, and damage can result (by comparison, Makarov barrels come out pretty easy, as I understand). I had a PP length .32 barrel at one time, and was tempted to have it threaded and installed on my PPK, but never did, as ther were no .32 specific suppressor around at the time. Sold the barrel.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Just wondering...Why do interior threading? External is easier, and that's the way all Walther .22s are done now. Granted, it's not hidden but a flush cap nut like Walther uses makes it less conspicuous. Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
49 Posts
at this stage gonzo, any threading is welcome. If I cant source a reliable way of threading it, I'll have to forgo the PPKS, which sucks royally since Ive been in love with them since forever

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Lot's of myth in this thread...

1) Any competent machinest can put threads on the inside or the outside of a Walther style barrel.

2) Walther barrels are not difficult to remove from the frame.

3) Outside threading is preferred. Threading the inside of the barrel can remove enough rifiling in shorter barrels to destabilize the bullet, and wreck accuracy.

4) James Bond is a fictional charecter and his Walthers are "prop" guns, they are often modified to "look cool" not to shoot.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts