Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just received a brand new SS PPK/S from Walther to replace a previous gun that they couldnt repair. The new gun will not hold open with an empty mag. Not with the new mag sent with the gun, nor with (2) other brand new Walther mags purchased, nor with an older used Walther mag. Again this is a brand new (unfired) gun and new mags. Not used, not dirty. Any ideas? C.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have just received a brand new SS PPK/S from Walther to replace a previous gun that they couldnt repair. The new gun will not hold open with an empty mag. Not with the new mag sent with the gun, nor with (2) other brand new Walther mags purchased, nor with an older used Walther mag. Again this is a brand new (unfired) gun and new mags. Not used, not dirty. Any ideas? C.
Pull the slide off, & then insert an empty magazine. You should see a little 2" lever on the left side of the gun rise. That's what holds the slide back when the gun is empty.

Air gun Trigger Wood Line Gun barrel

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pull the slide off, & then insert an empty magazine. You should see a little 2" lever on the left side of the gun rise. That's what holds the slide back when the gun is empty.

View attachment 105556

View attachment 105556
Yes I see it. Not quite as elevated as urs tho.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Does it move freely up & down with the magazine removed? It should. If it does, then I think the followers in the magazines are somehow distorted of damaged (unlikely, I think).

Perhaps there is crud in the magazines (also unlikely).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Seems like u can, just feels tight. Think this is something that might work in after shooting?
I wonder if there is a "burr" on the lever or frame that is restricting movement of the lever. Or, the spring associated with the lever is weak.

Given what we know, I wouldn't fire the gun. You might do further damage. Better to be able to return it (if you have to) saying you never fired it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Seems like u can, just feels tight. Think this is something that might work in after shooting?
It shouldn't be tight. On all my PPK/S guns, it has been VERY loose. Your picture looks OK. You can pull the lever out sideways from the gun & detach it, but watch that you don't let the spring loose so you have go searching for it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks all for your input. I also emailed Walther and they suggest I send it to them. While playing with it during our discussion I was able to get it to lock with most of my mags but its hit or miss. Sometimes the slide snaps back forward when the empty mag is removed. Will have to think on what I want to do with it, since it just cost me another $100 to get this replacement due to the permitting regime here in the Peoples Rep of NJ. Thanks again. C.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
First I want to thank all who offered help re this issue. I emailed Walther and they suggested I send it back too. I almost did but the more I played w it the more it seemed to loosten up. By later that nite it wud lock back maybe half the time. I took it to the range yesterday figuring I wud try it and if there were ANY issues it wud go back. Well I ran abt (70) rounds thru it, both commercial and reloads, w all 4 mags and every one locked back perfectly. Not a single FTF or FTE and 100% proper lockback. So I guess it just needed to be worked in a bit. Thanks agn. C. I

1 - 20 of 24 Posts