Walther Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone have experience with different lb springs for the .380? I see Wolff offers a 20 lb (factory replacement) and a 17 lb. Is it true that 20lb is the factory standard? Any opinions on a 17 lb?

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
rick, is there a problem you are trying to solve? Sticking with factory spec is your best bet, but tell us some more about your gun. Are you having issues?
Moon

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just received my Wolff recoil spring replacement today that I ordered a few days ago for my PPK/S. I ordered the 20lb spring...sticking with factory standard. Hopefully this clears up the malfunctions I am having. I only have a few...and most of them are slide not fully returning to battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Break In

Those failures to go into battery may very well be just because its not broken in yet - does it have 500-1000 rounds through it yet? If not - I'd be prone to not changing anything until then if the problem persists.

J

·
Registered
713 Posts
I replaced my spring years back with a wolff. 20 never a problem I replaced the factory hammer spring with a 17 instead of 20 . Never had any lite strikes and trigger just a tad lighter on DA .

Other day I was shooting at a piece of cardboard . I had drawn a Bulls eye with a coffee cup and colored it red. 1st DA shot bullet went into red .I decocked and fired again I ended up 5 in red and 2 just out side inch or 2. I was about 20' Iam trying to over come the pulling off 1 shot on DA .

My Bersa Thunder DA is much lighter and not near the problem of pulling the shot. SA is also lighter than the PPK/s .

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Just gotta come to grips with it; the .380 can be problematic, ammo sensitive, and just a PITA. It varies from gun to gun, and can be affected by moon phase, wind direction and the infield fly rule.
More modern designs don't require apologies regarding break in and such. Changing out the recoil spring isn't likely to solve your problems.
Moon

Reactions: searcher451

·
Registered
713 Posts
I disagree ,I have 3 Bersa thunders ,1 PPK/s , KelTec P3AT,2 Colt Mustangs .
These are all 380 and Never had 1 problem with feeding or ejection . . Many time a 380 problem is the shooter. My oldest daughter had a boy friend who could jam any semi . I placed in his hands. He was limp wrist of the 10th degree. I think he could jam a flint lock. :D

I shoot all brands or 380 except the commie steel case ammo . I use Corbon DPX or JHP in all for SD load. I have tried Buffalo Bore ammo It works .But I find recoil a bit much in the blowback 380's Ok in the Mustangs.

Keep your 380 clean and properly lubed. Don't limp wrist and it should be as reliable as any semi auto pistol.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
For a short period, Mitsy had a heck of a time with her PPK/S. Jams on every mag. Yet I could take it and dump a mag downrange with no problem. She wasn't controlling the blow-back, allowing the muzzle to rise, so misdirecting the energy. I explained limp-wristing, target reacquisition for follow-up shots, she improved. Got her a set of cocobolo grips, they're a bit "fatter" so there's a bit more for her to grip. When she last had a failure to go to battery and was becoming upset with herself, I took the weapon, loaded a full mag and proceeded to run seven rounds thru it, rapidly. Then she says: "Oh! Now I get it! Shoot like you're pi$$ed off at the target!" She now ~takes command~ of the weapon. Big difference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
moon, no, just curious on the spring issue. Went to the range today though and had one light strike out of about 75 rounds. the round fired second time around.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Rick, may simply been a failure to be completely in battery.
No dispute with you folks who hope to use PP series for 'social purposes'; I love Walthers as interesting machines, but there are better alternatives when the poop hits the fan.
Moon
ETA- rick, was the misfire on single action or double?
M

Reactions: M_E_

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
good points

i think i am going to stay with the factory spring. i'm learning that the ppks 380 really can be finicky. no point in make it worse by introducing a custom piece.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts