Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggests, I believe my rear sight screw on my PPK/S is stuck. Its a headless screw and I’ve used both the hex wrench provided with the gun and my own set and nothing seems to turn it.

Should I continue to mess with it? Should I use oil to loosen it up, or should I just play it safe and take to a gunsmith?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
7,251 Posts
Rear sight screw on a PPK/s? Not sure we are all playing on the same page here.
Tell us more.
Moon

Reactions: RetFedGunGuy

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
It's a conical dovetail used on a PP(K/S). Direction is left to right (in) or reverse (out).

·
Super Moderator
7,251 Posts
Martin, I'll assume (as you have) that we're talking a drift adjustable sight; no screw involved. Left in is the norm on such things.
Moon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, at least, to my knowledge its a headless screw. The manual states that in order to adjust it one must “loosen the headless screw” and then points to the rear sight.

To that end, I have attempted to do so, but it will not budge. I am afraid that I am both lacking in the knowledge and finesse in this particular matter! I don’t want to continue further without proper advice, out of fear I may screw it up!

·
Premium Member
13,727 Posts
My gunsmith charges $25 an hour, $50 if I watch, $75 if I help and $100 if I've worked on it before.

I'd have to assume this 'headless screw' must be an allen/grub screw, requiring an allen wrench, metric probably.

I'd say, at this point, take it to a gunsmith.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
:unsure: Perhaps we can see a pic of the rear sight to determine the used rear sight.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
OK, understood. It's not a original Walther/Manurhin rear sight. - In Germany we call it INBUS as a type of scew. Could be designed in metric or in inch type...

·
Premium Member
13,727 Posts
The previous owner may have used 'red' loctite on the threads. If so, its gonna take some heat...okay, a lot of heat to soften up the loctite to allow the allen screw to be loosened. If the hex hole in the screw is already boogered up the screw may have to be drilled out. Take it to a gunsmith.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Looks like that rear sight is the one used on those Umarex pot metal PPK/S rimfire ,22's.
OP didn't say what type of Walther it is.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Hmm, if it's a Umarex PPK/S we know, the srew is metric ;) ...

·
Patron
211 Posts
I know I've heard this before but I love it! :)

My gunsmith charges $25 an hour, $50 if I watch, $75 if I help and $100 if I've worked on it before.

I'd have to assume this 'headless screw' must be an allen/grub screw, requiring an allen wrench, metric probably.

I'd say, at this point, take it to a gunsmith.

·
Super Moderator
7,251 Posts
For the OP, have you found an Allen key that fits correctly? (Metric is most likely, of course). If it is indeed already buggered, then it likely is gunsmith time.
Oldfart is correct, some one may have red locktited it; pressing a soldering iron to it should loosen it. If that doesn't work, and...
If you're determined to screw it up yourself, assuming you have a drill press...
Block it in the press, drill it out (gently!), remove the sight and retap it for a new, slightly larger setscrew.
Moon

·
Super Moderator
7,251 Posts
Thanks, redcat. News to me. :)

Personally, have had mixed results with Locktite; sometimes it holds, sometimes it does not.
Moon

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
Personally, have had mixed results with Locktite; sometimes it holds, sometimes it does not.
For Loctite to get a good bond the threads must be degreased first and you need to use the right formula. There are different grades of Loctite for various applications like fasteners under 1/4", from 1/4" to 3/4", slip fit, permanent strength, etc.

As far as using cold goes it's the same idea as using heat. Different metals expand and contract at different temperatures so you're using that to break loose the threads from what they're mated with. Exteme cold also seems to make Loctite brittle and has the big advantage that it can used around fuel tanks or oxygen lines.

·
Super Moderator
7,251 Posts
"...and has the big advantage that it can be used around fuel tanks and oxygen lines." Well, there is that to argue for using the cold! ;)
I've three flavors of Locktite in the shop, and relentlessly degrease with denatured alcohol. Still mixed results.
Back to the OP, how is that going?
Moon

1 - 18 of 18 Posts